100% disk usage during PoE

Fix me if i am wrong but...isn't that normal? if the game cannot access any more ram,it will start using hdd,at which point you will have severe performance issues.
PoE eats ram alive,i have seen it go as high as 8+ GB on x64,so on 32bit it should naturally start chocking at some point.
No rest for the wicked.
"
Daiena wrote:
Fix me if i am wrong but...isn't that normal? if the game cannot access any more ram,it will start using hdd,at which point you will have severe performance issues.
PoE eats ram alive,i have seen it go as high as 8+ GB on x64,so on 32bit it should naturally start chocking at some point.

The 32 bit PoE client, like most other 32 pit processes being run on a 64 bit platform will be limited to a relatively small address space, so unless the OP has only two or three GB of RAM and no pagefile, it shouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately, with regard to the other posters with this problem, we're lacking any real detail with which to make informed opinions, so guess work is all we have. I do know that Windows 10 and to some extent, Windows 8.1, has 'issues' with disk usage constantly reaching 100% and the suggestions I made in my earlier post are some of the things that have worked for others.
"
Kellog wrote:
"
Daiena wrote:

The 32 bit PoE client, like most other 32 pit processes being run on a 64 bit platform will be limited to a relatively small address space, so unless the OP has only two or three GB of RAM and no pagefile, it shouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately, with regard to the other posters with this problem, we're lacking any real detail with which to make informed opinions, so guess work is all we have. I do know that Windows 10 and to some extent, Windows 8.1, has 'issues' with disk usage constantly reaching 100% and the suggestions I made in my earlier post are some of the things that have worked for others.

Well pagefile is usually the thing that kicks in freezes since hdd cannot write/read nowhere near as fast as ram can,so once there is no more room on ram,the game will obviously start using pagefile space on hdd,and OP has only 4GB ram. Point is that pagefile access will allow for the game to keep running,but the performance hit will be heavy since parts of the needed information will be written on and read from HDD.

Clearly the fact that game either has mem. leaks or is just horribly coded and/or nowhere near optimized enough doesn't help.
There are people that can play almost maxed out Planetside 2 with steady 60 fps,and cannot run PoE without constant stuttering,so whatever the devs say,is either a lie or lack of competence.

Fun fact btw: I tried a software for LAA (large address aware) loaded 32x poe exe and it showed that it's enabled by default,meaning that the game can access whatever little bit of ram (assuming you are limited to 4gb). I figured i'd try and disable it just to see what happens - what happens is the exe gets re-downloaded with LAA enabled,basically you cannot run it with laa disabled. xD My theory was that perhaps PoE has issues with caching data which could end up chocking the system assuming it never/nowhere near often enough dumps unused data,so perhaps limiting it would kick in more frequent discarding of unused data,that could also easily explain the vast difference in performance across abysmally huge array of systems starting from bottom shelf up to the very 10 grand+ top.
No rest for the wicked.
Why is that drive at 99% just from 10 mb/s? Could you provide a screenshot of hdtune?
Perception is reality.
Same issue with disk usage here. however I am running 64bit client with 8GB RAM and current usage during HDD peaks is only around 54% (for whole systém with some stuff running in background).
"
Qweros_CZ wrote:
Same issue with disk usage here. however I am running 64bit client with 8GB RAM and current usage during HDD peaks is only around 54% (for whole systém with some stuff running in background).

Have u found a fix for this. Happenong to me and poe stops responding
Hi guys, I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd throw in a suggestion for a fix because it solved my problem. I'm on windows 10, so I'm not sure if it will work if you have a different version or different OS.

Go to Settings > System > Power&Sleep > Additional Power Settings

On this screen, change your power plan to High performance, and then go to Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

It'll open another window, scroll down to PCI Express, expand it, and you should see Link State Power Management. Expand that and make sure the setting is off. It should be there on default, but just in case. Save changes, and try running your game after that.

I know it's a really, really silly thing but ever since I've changed it there hasn't been a single problem for me. I had tried almost everything, like reinstalling (both the OS and game), checking HD integrity, RAM integrity, and even checking my internet service. I suspect Windows made an update one night and changed my power settings, which caused less power to run through to my secondary drives where my games are stored, and led to the 100% disk usage when the game was accessing data.

I hope this helps in any way!
Last edited by Pwndanomaly on Feb 2, 2018, 5:05:07 AM
If you are having this problem, grabbing Process Monitor and using that to see what the I/O actually consists of might be interesting.

I'd also consider deleting the content of the minimap cache folder, and seeing if that changed anything.
On hdd it take forever to load game and when loaded, game dc client meanwhile.

Just check how many folders and files this game has. Those files are so small. Its absurd.
"
Pwndanomaly wrote:
Hi guys, I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd throw in a suggestion for a fix because it solved my problem. I'm on windows 10, so I'm not sure if it will work if you have a different version or different OS.

Go to Settings > System > Power&Sleep > Additional Power Settings

On this screen, change your power plan to High performance, and then go to Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

It'll open another window, scroll down to PCI Express, expand it, and you should see Link State Power Management. Expand that and make sure the setting is off. It should be there on default, but just in case. Save changes, and try running your game after that.

I know it's a really, really silly thing but ever since I've changed it there hasn't been a single problem for me. I had tried almost everything, like reinstalling (both the OS and game), checking HD integrity, RAM integrity, and even checking my internet service. I suspect Windows made an update one night and changed my power settings, which caused less power to run through to my secondary drives where my games are stored, and led to the 100% disk usage when the game was accessing data.

I hope this helps in any way!

I had the issue since I played in the new 3.2 (had a little break before that). Your solution fixed it for me. Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info