Sorry, to be honest I can't understand the story

Well hang on, I've just saved countless people from multiple bad guys doesn't that count for something? Isn't there an appeals court? Second of all I've just killed the most powerful people around. Why can't I go back to where I came from with all this power and go about my life how I want? No one's going to be able to stop me and if they can then all the bad guys I've just fought weren't really a threat because I'd then argue those that would stop me could stop everyone else I've just stopped if they wanted too.

I'm not saying there is no science at all. Alchemy is obviously being used, same as medicine. What I mean though is that it's never advanced beyond a certain level medieval level.
Last edited by Chaoticmess on Dec 7, 2016, 9:41:50 AM
Well, I mean, supposed you gather enough enthusiastic people, build a ship and sail back what do you think the Oriath navy is going to do when they hear of a ship full of convicts heading for the harbor? The ones following Dominus were renegades, that's why they call them blackguards, there's a standing army back home and Domino/Gravicius duo was probably replaced at a very short notice by someone a bit more sane, they probably called good riddance too.

So, you got a heavily fortified city defended by a well funded and equipped army, siege engines and whatnot, you can be ten times the badass but I still don't like the odds.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Why would I try and land the boat at a heavily fortified area? Why would I approach on a boat at all? Malachai could hover above the ground. I'd learn how to do that. I'd then leave the boat way off shore and float across the water before flame dashing up a cliff face or something.

Also where was this army while all the bosses i just faught we're doing all their bad things?

Another thing I just thought of:
The city could have an army of 100,000 soldiers. The quantity is irrelevant, there level is what would matter. If they were all level 100 killing machines then yeah that could be a problem. But if there all level 40 then my armour, health pool and life regen would be no match for the limited hundreds of paper cuts they could throw at me at any one time.
Last edited by Chaoticmess on Dec 7, 2016, 9:58:46 AM
I find the story going downhill fast.

Act 1 is perfect. Justly or not, you are convicted criminal sent to die in horrible place overrun by zombies and insane cannibals. Over time you learn to survive the land, gather the evidence of fallen empire and past conquests, raid local monsters in their nests and clear the path to food, riches and glory. I like it.

But in the end you kill all the elite of country who exiled you. And since they are all dead, you get anohter act where you kill all the most powerful past heroes/villians and stop the cataclysm that could shake the whole continent.

I prefered the story when it was about exploration and survival.
Not a signature.
So for me, the backstory/history is the best part, not the story that we are a direct part of. The comics series actually gives some great context, as it tells the story of the purity rebellion, which is really the story of Voll's ascension to the throne. There were a lot of big names involved, Rigwald, Deshret, Dialla, Malachai, Chitus, Ondar, Victario, and many others whose name we see over and over. If you can, and are interested, I would definitely recommend checking out the comics.
U MAD?
"
Chaoticmess wrote:
Why would I try and land the boat at a heavily fortified area? Why would I approach on a boat at all? Malachai could hover above the ground. I'd learn how to do that. I'd then leave the boat way off shore and float across the water before flame dashing up a cliff face or something.

Also where was this army while all the bosses i just faught we're doing all their bad things?

Another thing I just thought of:
The city could have an army of 100,000 soldiers. The quantity is irrelevant, there level is what would matter. If they were all level 100 killing machines then yeah that could be a problem. But if there all level 40 then my armour, health pool and life regen would be no match for the limited hundreds of paper cuts they could throw at me at any one time.

Because it's small and way overpopulated and when you got that kind of setup going security is a major issue, even more if it's a church state. You can't land in a remote area because there aren't any and you probably can't even approach the harbor without getting identified by patrols way off the shore. You'd most likely get sunk before you even see the walls and good luck swimming while wearing Kaom's Heart.

But sure, if we assume we could levitate, fly, teleport or destroy an entire army with a snap of fingers Oriath is a non-issue, the world is yours and in PoE2 new heroes will work to overthrow the tyrant, a former hero.

About where the army was while all this happened - it was most likely minding its business, a few madmen with a legion of idiots and bootlickers ran off to a wild, uninhabited continent mothers frighten children with, following some wild goose chase the government knows next to nothing about. There's absolutely zero reason to go after them.

Last edited by raics on Dec 7, 2016, 10:16:19 AM
Didn't I just save the world from destruction? How that is not something the army should be fighting? If they dont know then tell them.

Why would I be a tyrant for wanting to come home and destroying the army that stands in my way?

I'd argue I'd only be a tyrant if I came home, destroyed the army and then ruled the land like the arseholes I just killed. I'm not proposing that all. All I'd want to do is go home and maybe be with my family that's still waiting for me? Or start one... Everyone else can carry on as normal. There's no need to rise up against me. Just leave me alone, I've saved the world, isn't that enough to be allowed some peace and quiet?
Last edited by Chaoticmess on Dec 7, 2016, 10:38:20 AM
The story makes no sense. This is an ARPG with focus on character upgrades and hoarding power and wealth.
Story has no place here, and this loose frame is irrelevant.
If you dig deeper you will ask the questions and you will "ruin" the game sense you have built in your head.

For example, why dont we go back to oriath?
We killed the nightmare, stood against malachai... killed shaper.. explored countless worlds and destroyed everything in them.

Oriath is too small now, there is no army or anything that could stop us.. we could go there and sink the island into the ocean...

Asking questions like why dont we build a ship... or if we built it would the navy sink us.. its irrelevant... we are practically gods now.. you are confusing story with gameplay mechanics.. they do not go hand in hand when it comes to most of games.

Why dont we just freeze the water and walk over it.
Why dont we just use the means of transport that other characters from oriath used to get here.
Why dont we use the map device and craft oriath there and plunder it millions of times.

Why dont we open a portal beneath a waterfall and flood sarn with it?
Why dont we create a new civilization with so much knowledge that we have amassed. We got the master of all denominations, we could create whatever we wanted.
Meh, million of questions can pop up and they will distract you from enjoying the game mechanically.

Now i need a break, because the irregularities have piled up in my brain.

cheers
-toem-
"
Chaoticmess wrote:
Didn't I just save the world from destruction? How that is not something the army should be fighting? If they dont know then tell them.

Why would I be a tyrant for wanting to come home and destroying the army that stands in my way?

I'd argue I'd only be a tyrant if I came home, destroyed the army and then ruled the land like the arseholes I just killed. I'm not proposing that all. All I'd want to do is go home and maybe be with my family that's still waiting for me? Or start one... Everyone else can carry on as normal. There's no need to rise up against me. Just leave me alone, I've saved the world, isn't that enough to be allowed some peace and quiet?

The army serves many purposes but none of them is to go chasing around idiots that would poke around the remnants of old civilizations, which is why Dominus went rogue, he couldn't move the state machinery in that direction even with the kind of absolute power he had. Even if you could pick up your satellite phone and tell them, you think anyone would believe it and just send the army over, leaving the country undefended?

People are ungrateful bastards and that goes double for ingame npcs, you save the world in Skyrim and they still fine you for taking a broken chamber pot or a used sanitary pad.

Yeah, games make as much sense as they need to.

Last edited by raics on Dec 7, 2016, 11:19:27 AM
"
raics wrote:

Yeah, games make as much sense as they need to.

I think we could keep going on and on like this for a long time so i think the wise thing to do at this point is to quote the above and say "I agree with you." :)

Last edited by Chaoticmess on Dec 7, 2016, 11:51:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info