[Working FIX!] For a "Black Screen" bug

To confirm, the fix is definitely going out first thing tomorrow morning in our workday. That's around 16 hours from now. Very sorry about the delays with this one, guys.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Nah, I'll take OP's plugin instead of waiting for you incompetent dippies. He did in one day what you guys have failed for over three weeks.

LOL GGG.
"
Nah, I'll take OP's plugin instead of waiting for you incompetent dippies. He did in one day what you guys have failed for over three weeks.

LOL GGG.

Free game.
Small company.
Better product than the one offered by the competition, an established gaming giant.

Dude, three weeks is a very short time. How are they incompetent if the OP himself admits he had no idea what he's doing and it was a lucky fix basically?
"
"

LOL GGG.

Free game.
Small company.
Better product than the one offered by the competition, an established gaming giant.

Dude, three weeks is a very short time. How are they incompetent if the OP himself admits he had no idea what he's doing and it was a lucky fix basically?

"had no idea what he's doing" and "i don't know why it works" is a little bit different things. Or maybe i was incorrectly expressed.. i know that i doing (did, while fixing), but I do not fully understand why get it working (basically cuz i don't know a much about DirectX).

I can even say more - this problem CAN be solved by GGG coders in a hour. Because by looking at latest patch notes, this is a "few lines of code" bug. They are use one of a GPU hacks based on INTZ textures (supported by a most of video cards, but not all!), they also have a backup code for a situations like "shi..ATI happens". For some reason, this backup code are not written very well (or maybe this code just works good on their hardware, but failed on targeted).

I even write a hateful message (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1768914/page/24) in the bug's thread with a debug information for this problem (a few minutes of work). One message, contains enough information to understand the problem, if you know your own code.

But get ignored, as many other players. Ignored, yes. Because there is no way how they cannot find this problem with in 2-3 weeks. At least i don't believe in this.
Last edited by bSun0000 on Dec 7, 2016, 4:02:52 AM
"
bSun0000 wrote:
"had no idea what he's doing" and "i don't know why it works" is a little bit different things. Or maybe i was incorrectly expressed.. i know that i doing (did, while fixing), but I do not fully understand why get it working (basically cuz i don't know a much about DirectX).

My apologies for misunderstanding and summarizing your point unfairly.

"
I even write a hateful message (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1768914/page/24) in the bug's thread with a debug information for this problem (a few minutes of work). One message, contains enough information to understand the problem, if you know your own code.

lol So, was that "X" typo where an "S" should have been the only problem with this whole thing or was there more?

I'll concede they dropped the ball on this. I still don't think rudeness and impatience are justified and I'm sure they'll give you credit if you pointed out the mistake before they found it.
still working
Last edited by Penlodh on Dec 7, 2016, 3:27:04 PM
"
Free game.
Small company.

Three weeks is not a short time to be completely unable to play a game that is freemium and offers for-pay content of any kind. And as a programmer myself, I can say OP's fix is fairly straightforward, and that it's sad that a user had to do it before this got fixed. What he did should have been among the first things tried by GGG's own programmers, leading me to feel that whichever one handled this issue is incompetent when it comes to DX legacy support programming, which does NOT make me feel good about PoE's future. It wasn't luck, it was just following the logical debugging path, plain and simple. That's why someone with no experience could do it. I would fully support firing the programmer who failed to see this fix when he was sent to look. I don't want to pay someone like that even indirectly. If they're anything more than an intern they have no excuse for failing this badly.

Also, GGG has grown a bit a beyond qualifying as a "small" company. It's no garage venture anymore, it's a legitimate normal company and I expect professionalism from them appropriate to that. As for Blizzard, it's a miracle Blizzard hasn't gotten the Worst Company in America award themselves, and only Electronic Arts managing to be worse has saved them from it among game companies, IMO. I would never even consider spending a cent on a Blizzard product anymore and that has been the case for roughly a decade now. I don't consider Diablo 3 valid competition, and they've long since killed Diablo 2's Battle.net capability with lousy server quality. More valid competition would be Torchlight II in spite of its age, and Grim Dawn, to name a couple, though even those fall short of the level of quality one can find in other genres. If Path of Exile continues to fail so hard they're likely among the titles I'll be revisiting.

Additionally, even now that it's fixed, it's still not running at the quality it was before 2.4.2. Memory usage is up, frame rate is down, and I'd rather have the old client back. Nothing in 2.4.2-2.4.3's client performance has been an improvement over 2.4.1, it has consistently been worse. They also failed to so much as acknowledge this issue in the patch notes, and I really don't appreciate that kind of sweeping-under-the-rug.

Another user named this "The Black Screen Plop Incident" and I'll be bringing it up as such when appropriate until GGG acts sufficiently in good faith to justify not doing so. I can't recommend Path of Exile with the current state of affairs - the customer service lately has simply been too deplorable. As someone to whom the value of the game is heavily dependant on how many and which of my friends will play it with me, the quality of the game, and how much it appeals to those friends, is a big deal to me, and an incident like this with such poor handling is a huge downside.
People who don't like the Labyrinth are not a minority: Be heard - say you don't like it in your signature. Don't leave complaining about lab to others - GGG needs to see how many people dislike it. Ascendancy must be gated on true ARPG content, not a poorly-crafted internet Legend of Zelda wannabe.
"Black Screen" problem is gonna away, so this topic is not actual anymore.
Don't forget to delete my fix (d3d9.dll) from the game folder, if you use it before.
"
Small company.
I like how WKs play "small company" card when GGG fucks up, but when they switch to talking about how much money GGG need... it suddenly becomes a big company!
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Gotta bump this again, since the official patch did NOT solve the problem for me.

Some people will still need this!

*this also helps overheating
**thanks a lot for making this! couldn't play without it
Last edited by Visuv on Dec 8, 2016, 1:46:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info