New season melee char

Hi everyone, first of all, english is not my native, so please be gentle with my horrible writing :p

I love poe, i play only hc league, nothing else.

In essence league i was playing at start a groundslam jugger, which i turned earthquake after.
Then i tried dual warchief totems, still on this char, just modified few skill points to switch on it, then i was shocked :

Checking my chars wont really help as i fooled around at the end of the league with them as they were still alive, i tried things, builds etc, so nothing is like it was , but

I may be a bad player, i play far less than many hc players, and i never see true high end content (didnt go over t14 maps), but, at this point, dual warchief totems seemed so DISGUSTLY better than gs/earthquake that i question myself.

I know nothing about totems, i always hated them,i hate passiv builds ( when you dont hit things yourself) and by the first time i tried a dual totem build i was able to go in t14 maps with real ease, when i was risking my life each time as meleer.

Things is : you are not exposed, you put two totems (with insane damage and range) , and you can run back , or phase, or wait, and the job is done. With that horrible gameplay, and barely 6k life, i was able to run t12-14 maps with ease, with stuff, that good players should judge really ,really low.

Was i playing regular melee that bad or is dual totem that strong ? if it its the last answer, i consider stop the game, as melee seems truely unable to cut it in HC, in sc you can die sometimes, np, in hc you cant, fact is i cant play sc cause i have no fun at all.

So if i am forced to go dual totems as a casual player to expect getting at least 24 achievs, and i play solo, then the game is not anymore for me.

I was hoping for a melee + life buff SO HARD for 2.5 that i fall from high reading it : Nothing new, like at all

Better targeting for hs / gh, no one plays them, you need to waste a melee splash gem and its less good than gs§eq whatever you do.

So thats it, if i want with really few hours , reach 24+ achiev solo, i have to go dual totems, i have to play like this : two cast then wait.

Such sad turn for this game i once loved a lot, even blizzard forced players to aim things when they realised the 6 part set of dh sentry was too passiv, but ggg does the opposite, they increase the gap, why ?

Please someone tell me that playing active melee build is better than dual totem in hc, please
Last bumped on Dec 1, 2016, 3:58:59 PM
Totems are strong, blade flurry is stronger. So if you want an active "melee" playstyle, play bladeflurry like everyone else
"
FelFelFel wrote:
Totems are strong, blade flurry is stronger. So if you want an active "melee" playstyle, play bladeflurry like everyone else

Thanks for the answer,

I have seen bf in action, but, tbh ,for me its not melee gem at all, its a tick, its a spell named melee to please ppl.

Bf is , for what i saw, a flameblast with lower aoe, faster casting, and echo, sure its not same at all, but its a cast, hence you play a caster with a melee weapon.

Gs/hs/gs/ds etc are real melee skill for me, eq is tricky whith delayed bigger dmg part, but at least its centered on the char...

I honnesly think they named bf melee to say : hey look , a melee skill that doesnt suck, you see ?
"
akanah wrote:
its a spell named melee to please ppl.

Nailed it :)
✠ ✠
"
akanah wrote:
"
FelFelFel wrote:

Thanks for the answer,

I have seen bf in action, but, tbh ,for me its not melee gem at all, its a tick, its a spell named melee to please ppl.

Bf is , for what i saw, a flameblast with lower aoe, faster casting, and echo, sure its not same at all, but its a cast, hence you play a caster with a melee weapon.

Gs/hs/gs/ds etc are real melee skill for me, eq is tricky whith delayed bigger dmg part, but at least its centered on the char...

I honnesly think they named bf melee to say : hey look , a melee skill that doesnt suck, you see ?

Foul demon! You know not from whence you came from the bubbling pool of inner doubt!

For I am....THE TICK!

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!

...its late.
Last edited by JoeShmo on Dec 1, 2016, 8:25:16 AM
"
akanah wrote:

Please someone tell me that playing active melee build is better than dual totem in hc, please

King of off topic, but . . .

Why not both?
'tacomeme.jpeg'

I was just brainstorming hybrid totem melee build for breach actually.
Viper Strike + 2-3 Growing Agony Jewels.
Hierophant for 3 bladefall poison totems.
Duration passives and blasphemy, temporal chains for more poison stacks.
A kid with a magnifying glass. . . looming down on the anthill. Eventually one is going to get you.
I will try again, as they did something for targeting, i will try stunlock heavystriker, not glacial hammer as it has no point at all ( love the skill, animation, really do, but what is the point of freezing if it doesnt work on bosses ? ).

But i really fear that it will end like last season, when i reached t12+ and realised i was basically letting my totem do the job while i was running. This was the point i switched to dual totem.
The fact is you cant tank in this game, or mayb if you got some 100 ex worth stuff.

What i loved in d2, is when i was playing my concentration or zerker, or whirlwind barb i was able to take hits in hc, i was clearing really less faster than a sorceress, or a trap sin, but i was confident, with my stormshield and my doom, hell, even with a lightsaber =) , my goal was to get a Botd end game, but i was able to tank and kill.

In poe even having 30k+ armor wont save you from one shot , and it can appears almost everywhere once you are 12+, thats a sad thing imho, its not that you get overwhelmed by the monsters number or the situation, its more like everything is fine then boom you are dead. I personnally find the one shot a really cheap way to stop players in hc. Its way more fun to die after an insane fight where you tried to catch breathe in middle of tons of monsters, and using all your cd's and pots than a faceroll with a sudden death that comes from nowhere.

Only way to prevent that is being never exposed to any hits, hence the dual/tri totems build, or for players that plays 5h+ a day getting 12k+ ci chars. Heck you even see ppl writing in hc channs : if you are playing life or close combat char, you are doing it wrong.
The most fun part is when you realise giving up your main eq/icecrash/gs for a +1 totem give you so many advantages, lets talk about warchief :

- When you have two, you cover most of the screen, so when you cast them, half the screen will be -hitten without involving your presence, you just have to stay in rage, which is quite huge
- You can now use phasing, which provide an insane dmg boost, so you can use it after the cast, you are now pretty much untargatable, faster, and you totems even destroys faster (sigh)
- You free gem space, as you dont even attack anymore, and warchiefs dont need attack gem, you win extremly precious gem slot
- You can do every map mods suddunly, before , reflect, and all kind of damage mods was deadly, but now you arent exposed and you can cast totems as soon as they die, you dont care, you can do every map mods, wont change the outcome, or the playstyle, or anything
- You can think, damn i play a Hns but i do nothing, i just click two times and the screen is cleared, wow.
- You can benefits some buffs every fucking patch in one way or the other, it seems like GGG loves totems, each patch it gets better , whatever its items (shield for breach, hello facebreaker warchief build ?) , or nodes, it gets buffed (ok -10% warchief but better range and better tree nodes sor its overall certainly a buff...)
- Even funnier, you are not allowed to do dmg yourself, still you get fortify if you leap/charge or whatever lol, my god
Basically 0 downside expect a stupid coward gameplay, and only benefits. Do ppl REALLY love that gameplay, its like a 0 brain tower defense, not Hns with visceral (ggg words) gameplay.

Everything goes better if you give up on moving your ass to the war, but why the hell GGG cant see that ?

It seems its impossible to play a real melee char that kills monsters toe to toe in hc. I just wonder WHY they dont fix that. it should just be a trade of clearspeed versus survivability and melee fun.

This game has such potential, yet , for me, all most effectives builds exclude melee, for some reason...
Last edited by akanah on Dec 1, 2016, 10:32:45 AM
What gap? You can do everything with every type of build. All you have to do - play.
Play whatever you want and dont read reddit whining. BTW Shield Charge CoC/Cospri is melee build.
Last edited by Crimsonyd on Dec 1, 2016, 10:27:37 AM
"
Crimsonyd wrote:
What gap? You can do everything with every type of build. All you have to do - play.
Play whatever you want and dont read reddit whining. BTW Shield Charge CoC/Cospri is melee build.

I dont agree.

First of all the build you named has been nerfed to the ground, as if it was needed, and it was an extremly costy build. I am talking hc. Part of my post was saying i dont play 5h/day, i cant afford 100 ex builds or so.

Second, i have never seen a real meleer killing the shaper in hc, whatever it is in f/l or stream, or whatever?

Please stop with the : everybuild works, everything is fine, just play, its not true, its just not.
If ppl deny the fact there is a melee pblm, how will it change ?

This post is about specific things, HC, melee.

Do you play hc season, if you do, do you see many meleer success in it ? I do play what i want , every season i try, every season i am forced to respec if i want to move on.
If what i think is all false, please show me a record of a pure meleer in hc doing high content, even if this guy used a meta ranged/caster/totem build to gather a huge load of currencies first to buy 100 ex gear to achiev his melee fun build.

I dont read reddit, i just read the official forum, and i barely makes posts, check my profile, in 4 years i must have post 10 times.

But its sad to see every single patch, the gap between melee and other builds gets wider, and wider, to the point i ask myself :

Do GGG even realise ?
Last edited by akanah on Dec 1, 2016, 10:41:50 AM
"
akanah wrote:
"
Crimsonyd wrote:

I dont agree.

First of all the build you named has been nerfed to the ground, as if it was needed, and it was an extremly costy build. I am talking hc. Part of my post was saying i dont play 5h/day, i cant afford 100 ex builds or so.

Second, i have never seen a real meleer killing the shaper in hc, whatever it is in f/l or stream, or whatever?

Please stop with the : everybuild works, everything is fine, just play, its not true, its just not.
If ppl deny the fact there is a melee pblm, how will it change ?

This depends on your vision and goals you wish to achieve.

If you wanna go for lvl 100, then nope, not all builds are viable.

If you wanna combine cool mechanics and push the build to lvl 90, then yes every build is viable.

It all depends on what your aiming for.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info