How do I do more damage?

I'm actually thinking about respecing all my bleed and damage over time stuff which is making me walk in the tree a little bit, and just focus more on pure damage. Respec that bleed stuff from gladiator and take Violent Retaliation which will add a lot of damage because I block a lot, grab Outmatch and Outlast too, and grab more damage nodes on the tree, and jewel slots. And than maybe use Cyclone. What do you think?

I had to sit for more than 3 minutes killing some bosses like one of the bosses from the Shipyard map and the boss from Springs map. So I don't think I'll really be able to kill those guys in less than 30 sec just grabbing more stats.
"
Natharias wrote:
Evasion does not work to where you are guaranteed to miss. It only guarantees a hit if you miss so many times, since it adds your accuracy to each roll within 4 seconds.
You can get a long string of hits, like 15 hits with 50% accuracy, but you cannot get a string of 15 misses as easily because it all adds up. You would have to roll like 1-3 for each and every one.

Adghar was kinder about this.. But you've misunderstood how entropy works entirely.
The entire idea behind an entropy system is to remove all streakiness, otherwise you'd get moments where monsters just pass twenty Accuracy checks even against 5% Chance to Hit, as opposed to only one passing the check.

When an entity is first attacked, a random value from 1-100 is rolled, and Chance to Hit is added to this value for every attack. This is a value on the defender, btw.
- If the result exceeds 100, the attack is a Hit. Subtract 100, wait for next attack.
- If the result does not exceed 100, the attack is a Miss. Wait for next attack.

Let's say you have a 50% Chance to Hit.
Swing at a monster, the base roll is 42.
42 + 50 = 92
92 < 100 --> it's a Miss
Second swing: base value is 92.
92 + 50 = 142
142 > 100 --> it's a Hit
142 - 100 = 42 base value
Etcetera, etcetera.

If you want the exact same example but with a yellow border, check out this link.

What all this means is, you can get a streak of 15000 Hits, assuming you're attacking a new target every time. Without RT, it's unlikely, but it's possible. Against a single enemy, this is literally impossible without RT (or similar).
Because it's a defender-side value, it's just as easy to get 15000 Misses as 15000 Hits when attacking a new target every time, assuming a 50% Chance to Hit.

(also the timer is three seconds)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 2, 2016, 11:31:13 AM
You'd be surprised. Every little bit also tends to compound every other little bit. Getting the 6L (a giant deal, if expensive and often a last option for budget players), more flat phys, even just moderately better weapons/gear, can all stack with itself and produce surprisingly good results.

One other thing that no one's mentioned yet - Sunder is really, really bad as a single-target damage skill. Like, really bad. That said, you can easily switch to Blade Flurry with just some recolor work, and fixing your 5L should be most of what you need. Blurry, Bloodlust, Melee Phys, Faster Attacks, probably Life Leech as opposed to LGoH. That'd give a similar melee-from-afar feel to Sunder, Blurry works pretty damn well with Varunastra, and Lion's Roar has a particularly filthy interaction with Bleed builds.

See, if you knock enemies away like Lion's Roar lets you do very well with rapid-hitting skills like Blurry, the enemies' A.I. will try and path them back to where they want to be. Which means they move, constantly - and moving critters take much higher damage from Bleeding. Should even work to help murdalize boss critters, if you're against bosses that otherwise don't move much.
"
adghar wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

Evasion does not work to where you are guaranteed to miss. It only guarantees a hit if you miss so many times, since it adds your accuracy to each roll within 4 seconds.

You can get a long string of hits, like 15 hits with 50% accuracy, but you cannot get a string of 15 misses as easily because it all adds up. You would have to roll like 1-3 for each and every one.

I think you might have misread entropy mechanics. Hits also add accuracy to the entropy counter.

Read below.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

Adghar was kinder about this.. But you've misunderstood how entropy works entirely.
The entire idea behind an entropy system is to remove all streakiness, otherwise you'd get moments where monsters just pass twenty Accuracy checks even against 5% Chance to Hit, as opposed to only one passing the check.

When an entity is first attacked, a random value from 1-100 is rolled, and Chance to Hit is added to this value for every attack. This is a value on the defender, btw.
- If the result exceeds 100, the attack is a Hit. Subtract 100, wait for next attack.
- If the result does not exceed 100, the attack is a Miss. Wait for next attack.

Let's say you have a 50% Chance to Hit.
Swing at a monster, the base roll is 42.
42 + 50 = 92
92 < 100 --> it's a Miss
Second swing: base value is 92.
92 + 50 = 142
142 > 100 --> it's a Hit
142 - 100 = 42 base value
Etcetera, etcetera.

If you want the exact same example but with a yellow border, check out this link.

What all this means is, you can get a streak of 15000 Hits, assuming you're attacking a new target every time. Without RT, it's unlikely, but it's possible. Against a single enemy, this is literally impossible without RT (or similar).
Because it's a defender-side value, it's just as easy to get 15000 Misses as 15000 Hits when attacking a new target every time, assuming a 50% Chance to Hit.

(also the timer is three seconds)

No, both of you misread what I said.

As you said Vipermagi, you can get a long string of hits but it is almost impossible to get a long string of misses. Who else said that? Oh, right, me:

"
Natharias wrote:

I just heavily simplified it. It is almost impossible to get a string of 50 misses, just because of the base 1-100 roll alone. However, it can still happen. You'd have to roll 1-3 on each of them and have insanely low accuracy added on to each one in order to miss a lot.

Both of you misread or misinterpreted what I posted.
"
Linck wrote:
Would you take a look at my lvl 88 Gladiator? I would love to hear some insight on how I do more damage with him, because I'm kind of tanky and all, but I take 15 seconds to kill some rares, and almost 2min to kill some bosses. This build is supposed to be sort of based on bleeding. He does more damage when enemies are bleeding.

My play style is that I come close to enemies with Shield Charge to apply some bleeding, then I earthquake for some more bleeding chance and to apply vulnerability and fortify (which gives me a little more damage from the passives when I have it on), and then I use sunder with bloodlust gem to deal more actual damage.

I don't have much currency to buy stuff at the moment. 2ex is the max I could spend if I really took the time to trade some stuff.

I could try to get some steel rings, some physical damage mods, and quality gems, maybe a better base damage roll on my weapon? I don't know if that all would really make much difference though.

Stack dem frostboltz bro.
"
Natharias wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
I just heavily simplified it. It is almost impossible to get a string of 50 misses, just because of the base 1-100 roll alone. However, it can still happen. You'd have to roll 1-3 on each of them and have insanely low accuracy added on to each one in order to miss a lot.

So you're just bad at statistics then, or what?
Dice log. Roll 1d100 + 50, put success at >100 ("option"). That will show you what happens with 50% chance to hit against a fresh target each time.

Notice how any roll of 1-50 will, in fact, miss if you have 50% Chance to Hit :/ It doesn't "all add up", it adds up once. Your comment claims there's some bias towards Hits, that even at 50% Chance to Hit you're more likely to Hit than to Miss. This is blatantly false.
"
Natharias wrote:

Both of you misread or misinterpreted what I posted.

I did not know about the defender thing Vipermagi mentioned, that was good info to know.

If the defender is the same unit, like say facing a boss, no, you cannot get a string of misses. In fact, you cannot get a string of anything.
Let's assume you have 80% hit rate(low). Once you get into a 5 hit pattern, that is going to be your pattern. So, you will always see hit - hit - hit - hit - miss (assuming it is this pattern) all the time.

You can test this yourself, fight some regular white mob. Just stand there and you will see a pattern of hits and misses. So if you have 33% evasion, you'll see say hit - hit - miss, or miss - hit - hit, or hit - miss - hit. You will then see the pattern repeat.

If you have 50% evasion vs Argus, if he hits you. The next hit ALWAYS misses.
We're getting a little off topic (sorry Linck, I can't think of any other improvements just yet!) but note that the Lying Character Sheet only gives an estimate of evasion and chance to hit. I'm under the impression that even after they lowered enemy stat variability there is still some variability. And the character sheet estimates same level monster as your character.

The best way to absolutely test the entropy mechanic is not through chance to hit but chance to evade. It's easy:

1) take Iron Reflexes
2) Blind an enemy Attacker

The enemy will have precisely 47 or 48% chance to hit you (not sure which stat rounds), which means that for the LONGEST time, you'll observe hit, miss, hit, miss, hit, miss, and about 2 or 3 out of 100 times, you'll see a miss, miss.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info