Master the Breach

Let's give 'em a show....

Sweet
"What do you mean 'Have You Ever Seen the True Face Of God Exile?'...?"
I would ask have you ever seen the inside of my outside Toilet?
Very nice, another great league, also the rings will we insane ahah :O
"
Robin_Ho0D wrote:
yeah please redo the wording on that amulet. I feel drunk after reading the last 5 pages. People are all interpreting that amulet different.
I dont even have the guts to say what it actually does.

That is because people have reading comprehension problems. For that reason I will start with the tl:dr

Uncapped is an actual term in the game. It literally means without cap.
If you have 150% fire resist, it is capped at 75%.
How much would it be if it were uncapped? (if you answer 150% you have got it, if not then keep reading)

If you don't want to bother understanding how it works, the simple answer is that there are 2 numbers on your char sheet for each resist type, your capped resist and uncapped resist. If you see Fire Resist: 75% (150%) then your capped resist is 75% and your uncapped is 150%.

The longer answer is that capped and maxed do not mean the same thing. Capped means that it has been limited to something lower than what it is, whereas maxed means that it has reached the maximum it can attain. The problem we are having here is that people are using those terms interchangeably, and imprecisely (both).

First of all there is no maximum resistance, although there is a maximum effective resistance which is delineated by the cap placed on it. This means that when people ask if you have maxed your resists they actually want to know if you have reached the cap. People often talk about "overmaxing" your resists to account for resistance redunctions from map mods, curses, etc. Again, that is not "overmax", that is over cap. Similarly, if you have less than the cap allows for you would be under cap, but not uncapped, because uncapped literally means without a cap... and that is how GGG uses it.

"
Galtrovan wrote:

So we agree.... the wording GGG used is confusing and can be interpreted in different ways.

No, we agree that a significant number of players have reading and language comprehension problems... Those are completely different things.
"
n3crophagia wrote:
The only reason to me, for not understanding the word "Uncapped Resistances" is that the person doesn't understand English very well...

My english level is not good... and I think it's very easy to understand.

The game marks a limit into your Resistances, depending on which difficulty you are playing.

Uncapped means "It doesn't have cap" = Unlimited...

Come on...

And here is an example of good reading and language comprehension from a non-English speaker.
"
Galtrovan wrote:

However, in no way is "uncapped" clear. It's outright backwards. 75% is the cap. Any resistance value under 75% is "uncapped". Any resistance value above 75% is "overcapped",

"Un" is NOT the opposite of "over", that would be "under"... So the opposite of "overcapped" would be "undercapped".

"Un" is a VERY specific prefix in the English language, that cannot be misinterpreted. It LITERALLY means "not", and negates the word it is linked to... So unfair does not mean under-fair, it means not fair... and unfelt does not mean under-felt, it means not felt... and unseen does not mean under-seen, it means not seen.

An example of over/under as prefixes would be "overwhelming" and "underwhelming".

Similarly uncapped does not mean under-capped (which would be the opposite of overcapped), it means not capped or without the cap. All 3 prefixes can be used for the verb cap... Undercap, Overcap, and Uncap.

It is completely unambiguous.
Vaal breach gem... I just jizzed my pants boys.. that is super cool

E: Blizzisme why the shit are you multiposting like that, jesus... no1 cares what it means at the moment It will become abundantly clear later...
Last edited by 3plus3is33 on Nov 28, 2016, 6:08:40 PM
"
Demonoz wrote:
"
KoHElfs wrote:
Well, it's not that hard...

Press "C", look for the resistances in the defense tab... You'll see two numbers, the first one is the CAPPED resistance, the second one is the UNCAPPED resistance. That seconde one is what is used for these effects.

People are overcomplicating something simple...

The second one is OVERCAPPED Resistance. Uncapped to me says anything under the cap.
If it is how you say it is wouldn't it be a bit more clear to say OVERCAPPED instead of UNCAPPED?
UNCAPPED=Not Capped

Another implication here to consider is just how fucking insanely broken this ammy as well as the other item that gives phys mitigation from Uncapped fire res. IF it does function with your overcapped resistances thats gonna be so broken its not even funny. Aura node and purity auras+resistances on gear would mean with this ammy you can cap out crit as easy if not easier than Assassin with ZERO drawback or otherwise investment other than defensive.. Might as well remove crit nodes from the tree if shit like this exists. Basically you will be scaling Massive amounts of damage for scaling Defenses with zero drawback? Thus why the wording pretty much points to Uncapped=Anything under the cap goes to crit. The way your describing is so unbelievably busted its why its way too good to be true from Overcapping resistances to work in such a way.. Especially with no other inherent drawback to be seen on the items.

Again though as has been asked multiple times in the last reveil... Clarification from GGG would very much be appreciated. Because which way this mechanic works and interacts with these items is quite important. And people seem to be pretty split on which way it indeed does work. And its one question thats yet to be clarified for sure.

Uncapped, undercapped and overcapped are three different things, obviously...

As for the "brokeness" of it, you do realize that either of the uniques that provide bonuses to uncapped res do not provide res themselves? Assuming there are other ones (for cold and maybe chaos), that is a pretty huge drawback, because if you wanna stack a bunch of those they will do very little (since you will have items not providing resistances). Also, stacking anything above 75% (or above your cap, if it is increased) IS in itself a drawback, because that is not at all stacking defense (defense only stacks up to your cap). It is just a way to make those % not be a complete waste. As for purity auras, it would be nice to see them finally used (outside PoF in RF builds), because right now there is absolutely no reason to run them over any other mana resevation skill... Though I don't think an aura that gives you some 30~40% crit for 35% mana reservation is broken...
Did anyone else pick up on this from the OP "If you are lucky enough to find one of the Breach items that makes use of your resistances, such as this..."?

This amulet is going to be nuts and I wonder what the other items" making use of your resistances" might be.

"
Blizzisme wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:

However, in no way is "uncapped" clear. It's outright backwards. 75% is the cap. Any resistance value under 75% is "uncapped". Any resistance value above 75% is "overcapped",

"Un" is NOT the opposite of "over", that would be "under"... So the opposite of "overcapped" would be "undercapped".

"Un" is a VERY specific prefix in the English language, that cannot be misinterpreted. It LITERALLY means "not", and negates the word it is linked to... So unfair does not mean under-fair, it means not fair... and unfelt does not mean under-felt, it means not felt... and unseen does not mean under-seen, it means not seen.

An example of over/under as prefixes would be "overwhelming" and "underwhelming".

Similarly uncapped does not mean under-capped (which would be the opposite of overcapped), it means not capped or without the cap. All 3 prefixes can be used for the verb cap... Undercap, Overcap, and Uncap.

It is completely unambiguous.

Can it be unwhelwing though?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info