Essence As a Core Game Mechanic

Thanks GGG I love the Essences in general ^_^ Great to hear they will be sticking around! Question though,.. Will essences be added to the Currency Tab? the 9 stack thing is annoying without a dedicated currency slot. Also will Perandus Coins ever be added to the currency tab?
Last edited by heyfunny on Nov 21, 2016, 9:29:15 PM
I'm very happy about this. I was already going to play Breach despite originally planning to wait until Act 5, but this makes it even more appealing. Even the reduced rate is fine by me.

Keep up the great work! Add a search bar to the SkilldrassiL!
Great news! :) Hopefully someday you'll rethink your decision and more fully incorporate Talisman, Warbands and Tempest into the core game as well (Perandus added nothing new other than cheap items and so that one can be left out). Darkshrines ought to be added into the non-lab areas too as long as none of that leagues item upgrades come in - just the area/monster change effects. I don't agree with your reasoning that you need to hold down on the number of things to do in the game - as long as they're not mandatory, the more the better, I say. It enriches the whole play experience. If the Breach league turns out to be balanced enough, then I'd ask for it to be added as well. Having a zone with maybe five different mechanics in it (say, a Stone Circle, a strongbox, a darkshrine, a Tempest and a Rogue exile) is a good thing, not bad.
"
Aziraphale wrote:
--Path of Inventory Management--

Seriously guys, this is getting out of hand. I don't want to throw insults around but I'm starting to feel like I spend more time moving things around in my inventory/stash/vendor than engaging with combat and game mechanics. I feel like you may be alienating new players if you keep going this way. I know if I started the game fresh today, I probably would not continue to play and support the game, as the lack of stash space feels like a big "fuck you" to new players. In closed beta, you could probably get by with 4 stash tabs, but not anymore.

This is the reason why I quit Diablo 3 but at least you can buy more tabs for PoE and they run sales every once and a while ^_^
Last edited by heyfunny on Nov 21, 2016, 9:43:48 PM
Talisman, warbands and tempest were all much more interesting. Yet you guys decide to implement essences? Can't say I'm excited; I got rather bored of them pretty quickly.
"
Avaron121 wrote:
I don't really think this is a good idea, it may be bad to add so much stuff into core game.

I beg to differ. I'd like as many additional mechanics in the core game as possible, albeit not mandatory. :')
You no buy stash tab? We make more stuff. YOU BUY STASH TAB! :D
"
Aziraphale wrote:
--Path of Inventory Management--

Seriously guys, this is getting out of hand. I don't want to throw insults around but I'm starting to feel like I spend more time moving things around in my inventory/stash/vendor than engaging with combat and game mechanics. I feel like you may be alienating new players if you keep going this way. I know if I started the game fresh today, I probably would not continue to play and support the game, as the lack of stash space feels like a big "fuck you" to new players. In closed beta, you could probably get by with 4 stash tabs, but not anymore.

That is a good point. Plus an Essence currency tab won't fix the problem since, just like the existing currency tab, they'll need to purchase it. That's something a new player might not feel inclined to do until they've experienced the game enough to determine if they wish to invest a goodly amount of time into it. A simple solution would be for GGG to finally decide that 4 base stash tabs is too few. I'd suggest the new number should be 6. Yes this would effectively mean that all players would be getting a free 2 additional stash tabs, which I think is fine since dedicated players will quickly absorb that and soon need to buy more anyway. I chose 6 rather than 5 because we also have to account for the addition of divination cards as well as the higher number of maps available now.

As for the inventory management issue - adding a new Essence currency tab as a purchase should fix that. The key point is that players should be paying for convenience, not for it being a mandatory purchase due to the initial space being insufficient (and no, items don't count for that as one of the key skills to learn in this game is to know what's worth keeping and what to junk).

They ought also to tweak the stack limits of some of the currency orbs cos a few of them have retarded limits that make no sense when you look at the other ones. Simplest and best solution would be to just give them all a single common stack limit, say 40.

With 1-2 new stash tabs and a decent base currency orb stack limit, you have enough space for all the Essences, currency orbs, cards and maps and a few choice rares and uniques you may come across as a new player. You can then take a call as to whether you like the game enough to invest in buying a currency stash tab, Essence stash tab and, of course, just more stash tabs and tab upgrades for trading convenience.
Last edited by Exile009 on Nov 21, 2016, 10:19:29 PM
"
ulkbodao wrote:
3. Is there any way to change the characters' names instead of creating another? Because creating another would not be such a problem for a character that is lv below 90. But many of us have lv 95+ or lv 100 characters. And making the name change would be perfect. Even if paying for this service, it would be quite interesting to add to the game.

Thank you very much for always bringing us new content. It is a pleasure to help you, since you do not leave us shaking hands. THX!

You can just e-mail them at support@grindinggear.com to request a name change. They do it for free! ^_^

Frankly, I don't understand why they do that since an appropriate character name isn't an essential part of the game and so they could quite easily just implement an automatic name change feature in the game where, for a small fee, you can yourself change your characters' name as you wish (it would check for duplicates again, of course, just as it does in the character creation screen). It would be a nice additional source of income for them as well as save on the hassle of getting a support team member to do it manually and shouldn't piss people off since, as I said, appropriate names aren't a required gameplay feature.
"
ArlindoBerto wrote:
"
TreeOfDead wrote:
"
we wanted to keep the Essence items in Path of Exile, though at a lower frequency. The occurrence of Essences will be around one sixth of what it was.

Thats super hurt nerf, im sad. Essence was actual first step to real crafting players could control and play with, why removing it? Now it will be only trading, no longer crafting.

Please dont make them so rare, essence = fan and cool.

Agree with you, they made the same mistake with profecy, hope they reconsider.

It's not a mistake. They have to control the rarity of new mechanics like this. I mean, just consider how many other mechanics these things are being added to - rogue exiles, strongboxes, shrines, nemesis rares, bloodlines mobs, tormented spirits...Prophecy is being added on top of all of that and now Essence is being added on top of all that plus Prophecy. And I haven't even listed the additional mechanics that you can via map mods (such as Beyond) and Zana's map device (whichever roster of previous leagues they decide to give her each time). If they follow my suggestion above of adding Talisman, Warbands and Tempest back in as well, then I fully expect they'll make them much rarer than they were in the temp leagues themselves, which is fine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info