2.6 "KAMEHAMEHA" Self-Cast RF Scorching Ray Inquisitor/Chieftain

Why the repentance? I have a similar build to yours but mine goes the Kaom's tanky route and is more expensive :)
Hi, I'm leveling this build at the moment, and I'm curious about Elemental Equilibrium. Surely if I use say Orb of Storms to proc the -Fire resistance, Scorching Ray would just pump it back up since I'm going to have to keep my ray on bosses where I need EE the most?
I missed the point of wearing Repentance when Doon already gives high level Iron Will. Do they stack or something? What am I missing?

An idea: Geofri's helm might be cheap alternative. It doesn't have life or STR but it has resists and more importantly, +1 for Purity of Fire. Stick your auras in it and rock lv21 PoF...
EDIT: NVM, you already get +1 to max fire at lv20, there is no benefit to lv21 in Geofri's.

I also think Firestorm would be better spell for Cast While Channeling. Flame Surge has high damage and it's great for bosses, but the AoE is crap. Firestorm hits strong enough too...however, it would have to be unlinked, which gimps it. Dunno...

"
Dredzy wrote:
Hi, I'm leveling this build at the moment, and I'm curious about Elemental Equilibrium. Surely if I use say Orb of Storms to proc the -Fire resistance, Scorching Ray would just pump it back up since I'm going to have to keep my ray on bosses where I need EE the most?

Orb of Storms doesn't just hit once, it stays there periodicly zapping which keeps re-applying the EE.

Last edited by IANVS on Dec 15, 2016, 6:37:41 PM
"
Dredzy wrote:

Beam does not trigger EE, it's a weird skill. It doesn't deal direct damage, rather it applies a debuff on enemies and causes them to suffer fire damage over time.
Last edited by SevenNights on Dec 15, 2016, 10:41:56 PM
"
IANVS wrote:
I missed the point of wearing Repentance when Doon already gives high level Iron Will. Do they stack or something? What am I missing?

Yes, they stack. Doon Ceubiyari gives you a global 1% damage per 8 strength while Iron Will (from Repentance or the Iron Will support gem) gives 1% damage per 5 strength. As the ratio isn't the same, the two can work together. The inbuilt Iron Will link in Doon, meanwhile, isn't really used for anything since a sceptre can only have 3 sockets (and hence we don't socket our Scorching Ray in it). We're using Doon for the global modifier, not the inbuilt gem link. With both items, every 40 strength gives you 13% spell damage rather than getting just 5% (from Doon alone) or 8% (from Repentance alone). Repentance is effectively giving us an extra support gem on our skill, while Doon is giving us another scaling damage boost on top of that.
"
SevenNights wrote:
"
Dredzy wrote:

Beam does not trigger EE, it's a weird skill. It doesn't deal direct damage, rather it applies a debuff on enemies and causes them to suffer fire damage over time.

This is one of those weird things about PoE that stump many new players. Basically, a lot of the rules don't apply to damage over time (DoT) effects. DoT's don't convert their damage, for instance, which is why EE Vortex builds change their Vortex damage type to fire (which only changes the initial hit damage but not the cold degen damage and so the initial hit - of fire damage now - triggers EE, which then makes the mobs more vulnerable to the degen damage as that stays as cold damage). DoT's also can't use penetration, which is why our gem setup doesn't include fire penetration. DoT's also don't reflect, or crit. Or...'hit'.

That's another weird thing DoT's don't do - actually "hit" mobs. Ele Equilibrium only triggers off of hits (along with many other things in this game). Scorching Ray is a pure DoT i.e. it never "hits" mobs, just degens them (just like, for instance, Righteous Fire). As such, it never triggers EE. It does do damage based on whatever the mobs current resistance is, however (which is why we use anti-resistance curses, like Flammability and/or Ele Weakness), and so if they're already under the effects of EE (from our Orb of Storms, in this case), then SR is doing more damage to them while not cancelling out the EE bonus i.e. not making them resistant to fire due to EE.

Think of it not as someone shooting a jet of napalm at you (which would physically hit you), but rather them just creating a zone of incredible heat (sorta like, say, a microwave gun) that causes whoever enters it to spontaneously start burning to death. So you're not actually 'touching' the mobs, just directly heating them up.

Note that this only applies to Scorching Ray. Its older cousin Incinerate isn't a DoT and so does actually "hit" mobs. Indeed, that's actually one of the primary differences between the two skills.
"
IANVS wrote:
Orb of Storms doesn't just hit once, it stays there periodicly zapping which keeps re-applying the EE.

Orb of Storms does hit repeatedly, however, this isn't why SR still benefits from Ele Equilibrium. The reason it still benefits is because SR, being a DoT, simply never triggers EE itself and so never cancels out the EE bonus that Orb of Storms gives us. See my above response for an explanation.
Last edited by Exile009 on Dec 16, 2016, 2:18:09 AM
My version of this build in breach league:

Does pretty good damage (almost 30k burning per sec with all buffs). Survivability is ok i think, 5k health (989 strength) and that cwdt+frost wall is very good at breaches. I don't use cast speed support. Maybe with Repentance gloves i could use it.

These are good optional choices for helmet:

"
Nikoleus wrote:

@Niko
nice idea Niko. (that helm u are using is insane!)
Thou.. why use ignite into the ruby flask?

@OP
i'm trying to follow more or less the idea.. thou i'm feeling the dmg in a party is kinda low.. DOT vs pure dmg (or poison meta..)
thou i'm going to the end with it! (or maybe a CoCh hmmm haha)

p.s. was gonna try Brine helm.. but it skyrocketed on price... [WHO did that??? I'm gonna kill u... ur parents... and ur family... hhahaa]
"
DarqKiller wrote:
"
Nikoleus wrote:

@Niko
nice idea Niko. (that helm u are using is insane!)
Thou.. why use ignite into the ruby flask?

@OP
i'm trying to follow more or less the idea.. thou i'm feeling the dmg in a party is kinda low.. DOT vs pure dmg (or poison meta..)
thou i'm going to the end with it! (or maybe a CoCh hmmm haha)

p.s. was gonna try Brine helm.. but it skyrocketed on price... [WHO did that??? I'm gonna kill u... ur parents... and ur family... hhahaa]

It's just for turning off RF. Wrong flask, i know... i have changed it by now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info