[2.4] The Smashing Ascendant|1mio dps|3 ancestral totems|Facebreaker + Rigwald’s Curse|+Budget vers.

Concept:
This build originally started with the idea of using the Scion Hierophant Ascendancy with The Bringer of Rain, Facebreaker and Skirmish Quiver to have 4 heavy hitting, cheap 6-link Ancestral Warchief Totems. That version is definitely not bad on its own, but since I had some currency to spare, I went for a more costly, more dangerous, more interesting, more smashing version. I’ve swapped BoR for Abyssus, put on a 6L Armour and gone crit with Rigwald’s Curse. Skirmish got replaced by a shield to cap resists and provide more defense. To not let the extra totem from Hierophant go to waste, I took Ancestral Protector as a 4-link support. Keep in mind that the 20% more attack speed from Protector also affect your 2 Warchiefs and the more melee damage from your Warchiefs affects your Protector. This is a buff!

Playstyle:
Drop 2 Warchiefs, see them smashing everything into the ground. Protector is only needed for bosses. Evade hits while moving to the next pack. Very fast due to its high damage and aoe.

Video:
Crappy video demo of a Tier 10 Quay map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDrjsS49wlk
It's something.

Numbers:
Spoiler
Buffed Warchiefs reach 2 x 365k dps, Protector 150k dps. My gems aren’t fully leveled atm and Diamond Flask’s damage increase is not shown in the tooltip. Considering that, you can calculate on a smashing 1 million dollars *Dr. evil laugh*! ... I mean dps.
Buffs are: Vaal Haste, Diamond Flask, Taste of Hate, Atziris’s Promise, Warchief up, Protector up, 4 Power Charges, recently killed a monster and recently summoned a totem.
Sure, you don’t have that up all the time, but that doesn’t matter for our e-pen. Your average damage is smashing enough.
5,5k - 6k life, overcapped resistances. You do need a Basalt Flask and Taste of Hate to counter Abyssus.

Mapping :
Elemental Weakness? Overcapped.
Temporal Chains? Still fast enough.
Blood Magic? Turn off your Auras.
Physical reflect? Swap crit for phys to lightning.
Elemental reflect? Swap added fire for fortify. Turn off Hatred.
Hexproof? When you have slain all your enemies, what is left to fear?
No leech? Who cares?

You can basically do anything.

T15 maps feel just like Dried Lake farming.

But chilled ground though.. reroll that. Seriously, it's disgusting.

Endgame:
Still doing the content, since this build is still fresh.
Atziri doesn’t live for longer than 1-2 seconds per phase. Safest runs I’ve ever had.
Gonna try Uber + Shaper later.

Update:
Tried Uber. Vaals were no problem. Failed at Trio because some random hit already oneshots you and I left T*ttyshooter for last, while she should be done first with this build.
Tried Minotaur. Even without damage mods, most hits oneshot you.
Conclusion: No Abyssus allowed in endgame. Gonna have to work out some endgame-alternative, I guess.

Skilltree (116 points):

Ascendancy choises:
Scion Hierophant Ascendancy gives you an extra totem when socketed in your helmet, mana, a little bit energy shield and power charge generation.
Scion Chieftain Ascendancy gives you more damage and life regeneration.
Take whatever you like more first. Last points from uber-lab are for the Marauder starting point, which saves you 2 travel-points.

Gear:
Spoiler
Helmet:

Abyssus. Smashing hits, but you have to deal with increased physical damage taken. Don’t do that in hardcore.

Body armour:

Life, resistances, armour

Shield:

Life, resistances, armour

Gloves:

Facebreaker. Essential item for scaling unarmed damage. Smashing.

Belt:

Meginord’s Girdle. A life and resistance rare is also an option to ease your resistance overcapping.

Boots:

Movement speed, life, resistances, armour

Amulet:

Rigwald’s Curse. Essential item for crits. Why not?

Rings:

Steel rings. With even more flat phys rolls. Also more life and resistance, if you can afford it.

Jewels:
Get life, one general damage node and one claw specific. Weapon-restricted fixes aren’t as expensive and your Rigwald’s Curse lets you take advantage of claw modifications!

The unique Jewel Spire of Stone makes your totems stun-immune. This should be important in endgame.

You can also swap your shield for Skirmish Quiver when fighting Atziri. That’s 4 smashing totems!

Gems:
Spoiler
Helmet:
Ancestral Protector – Melee Physical Damage – Faster Attacks – Added Fire Damage

Body Armour:
Ancestral Warchief – Melee Physical Damage – Faster Attacks – Added Fire Damage – Increased Critical Strikes – Increased Area of Effect
A 6-link isn’t that expensive nowadays, but if you only have a 5-link, drop inc. aoe or crits, whatever you prefer.
Swap inc aoe. for concentrated effect for bosses.

Shield:
Flame Dash – Faster Casting – Stone Golem
I’m thinking of using a Chaos Golem instead.

Gloves:
Hatred – Enfeeble – Blasphemy – Enlighten

Boots:
Cast when damage taken (lvl 1) – Increased Duration – Immortal Call (level 3) – Vaal Haste

Flasks:
Spoiler

Life Flask with instant and bleeding

Diamond Flask with movement speed and duration

Basalt Flask with armour and duration

Taste of Hate

Atziri’s Promise

Enchantments:
Helmet: Got a 40 % increased Warchief totem damage at my first uber-lab. Great success, very nice! Increased Enfeeble effect would also be nice.
Boots: Crit strike chance if you haven’t crit recently. The damage increase is bonkers due to your high base crit and you have 100% uptime. Got it after a handful merciless-labs. Lucky!
Gloves: Whatever.

Bandits:
Normal: Life
Cruel: Phys dmg / Attack speed
Merciless: Power Charge / Skill Point
Power charges are tedious to keep up with only your Hierophant-class, so you can just kill all bandits in merciless.

Budget version:
Lion’s Roar instead of Taste of Hate.
The Bringer of Rain instead of Abyssus. No 6-link needed anymore. Put Warchief totem into BoR.
Coral Rings or Iron Rings instead of Steel Rings.
Easy as that.

Thanks for reading and have fun!
Kuduku, you majestic, magnificent, pulsating, wooden shaft of a man. - ZiggyD
Last edited by MinasMorgul on Nov 16, 2016, 7:16:26 AM
Last bumped on Jan 20, 2017, 6:51:24 PM
Hi nice build
iam trying it atm. at its lot of fun :)
I was just wondering what jewel you use at what to aim for on jewels :)

Ty
Last edited by Cold_Zero on Nov 10, 2016, 2:58:22 PM
"
Cold_Zero wrote:

I was just wondering what jewel you use at what to aim for on jewels :)

"
Jewels:
Get life, one general damage node and one claw specific. Weapon-restricted fixes aren’t as expensive and your Rigwald’s Curse lets you take advantage of claw modifications!

These are the ones I currently use:

You can get 4-5 jewel slots in total.

Edit:
I totally forgot about the unique Jewel Spire of Stone. It gives 3% increased Totem life per 10 Strength and most important, it makes your totems stun-immune. This should be pretty important in endgame.
Last edited by MinasMorgul on Nov 15, 2016, 11:41:10 AM
perfect end-of-league build. cheers!
Great build so far! Your guide is clear, informative, and made me laugh several times lol. My gear certainly isn't optimal, and I've run into a few snags with a couple of map bosses (the Spider Lair boss appears to be a physical damage machine gun) but for the most part I'm smashing everything sufficiently.

I don't seem to be having a problem with mana at all running Hatred and Blasphemy/Enfeeble, so I'm not using Enlighten in my gloves. This leaves me with an extra gem slot in either my shield or gloves, both of which are red. Given this, I've been running Warlord's Mark in my shield (which links to Faster Casting) and it seems to be working out okay. Any thoughts or suggestions on what else to run instead? Or maybe something I'm missing with why you run Enlighten?

Thanks! :)
"
ILjXYZ wrote:

I don't seem to be having a problem with mana at all running Hatred and Blasphemy/Enfeeble, so I'm not using Enlighten in my gloves. This leaves me with an extra gem slot in either my shield or gloves, both of which are red. Given this, I've been running Warlord's Mark in my shield (which links to Faster Casting) and it seems to be working out okay. Any thoughts or suggestions on what else to run instead? Or maybe something I'm missing with why you run Enlighten?

Thanks! :)

I use Enlighten simply for the slightly bigger mana pool. This build doesn't have much mana regeneration and especially in -regen maps this becomes a bit annoying.

Warlords mark doesn't do much for this build. If you have a free gem slot, use Enduring Cry to generate some Endurance Charges.
small additions to your guide:

there are TWO essential items if you want to go crit:

facebreakers ofc
rigwald's curse

i levelled easily without the amu and just recently bought it in essence. it helps to have

equipped on one or 2 ring slots and

for boots before switching to crit, the damage compensates easily for the lack of crit up to tier 6-ish.

since i run this toon as a marauder, there are slight deviations from your path, naturally. ascendancy isnt too great since you get no additional totem and i doubt the "1% lifeleech from your totems applies to you" makes this build less squishy (since vaal pact is rather unattainable). i will probably take those nodes anyway and spent a few regrets just to check it out.

at lvl 74, this build is really comfortable with any map mod and can handle almost all boss encounters easily (aside from the ones that literally oneshit me, with 4300 life).

gear as of now:

Spoiler

cheers, and thanks again for taking the time to write it all down! this build is real fun for anyone who loves totem builds (and facerolling)!
also, consider "phase run" for either active cast or in a cwdt setup (substituting vaal haste).

30% melee damage and the effective "blind" on enemies plus the movement speed - sounds fine
"
ab_ wrote:
it helps to have

equipped on one or 2 ring slots and

for boots before switching to crit, the damage compensates easily for the lack of crit up to tier 6-ish.

The ring doesn't convince me. 30% reduced attack speed is huge and since your totems do all the work, you don't get any frenzy charges anyway. Steel rings already reach ~15-30 extra phys damage, have no downside and can have other mods.
The shield and the boots are maybe nice for leveling, but with all those uniques it becomes hard to get enough life and resistances.

"
ab_ wrote:

also, consider "phase run" for either active cast or in a cwdt setup (substituting vaal haste).
30% melee damage and the effective "blind" on enemies plus the movement speed - sounds fine

Interesting idea. Never even used that gem yet. Sadly, the extra melee damage duration is way to short..
i have no idea how you reach 365k, tbh. i am at 40k abouts. Looking at steel rings to increase the flat damage

Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info