Played my first armor-only character, and I'm disgusted by it.

"
bionicg2040 wrote:
Damn...I was about to go IR because I am tired of evasion being so random. Now i got nothing.

Things seem to be working properly again. I redid my tests on a different-albeit-very-similar character half a day after posting this thread (after someone else attempted my tests and found things to be working properly) and now things seem fine again, so... idk. Maybe my character had some kinda persistent bug, or maybe GGG stealth-fixed the issue. Hard to say, but in either case I think it'll be alright for you now.
Last edited by Shppy on Oct 17, 2016, 7:49:19 PM
"
Shppy wrote:
Maybe my character had some kinda persistent bug, or maybe GGG stealth-fixed the issue. Hard to say, but in either case I think it'll be alright for you now.

I think the most likely scenario is that it's dependent on some variable that hasn't been identified in this thread (and is still going on). Like maybe for some reason if the Armour Rating is a prime number, it exhibits the bug. Shrugs. I'm not a programmer, but I know bugs can appear for the strangest reasons.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
There have been no "stealth fixes". We haven't changed anything relating to armour recently.

This thread prompted an investigation, and it does turn out a few of the most recently added armour modifiers (not all of which are in the game yet) were applying to generic armour, but not to armour against projectiles (which is a different stat calculation to account for Titucius' Span).

The most significant source of armour that was affected by this is the Grand Spectrum unique jewel.

This will be fixed for a future patch.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There have been no "stealth fixes". We haven't changed anything relating to armour recently.

This thread prompted an investigation, and it does turn out a few of the most recently added armour modifiers (not all of which are in the game yet) were applying to generic armour, but not to armour against projectiles (which is a different stat calculation to account for Titucius' Span).

The most significant source of armour that was affected by this is the Grand Spectrum unique jewel.

thanks for the response, that makes a little bit of sense with my followup test on a different character, as much less of my armor on that test was derived from grand spectrums (only had room for 3, vs the 6-7 i had on the original character in question)

Still, on said original chracter I also had over half of my armor derived from Brass Dome, Devoto's, and some gloves I had... still seems like the damage was too high even for the 20k armor I'd have had without Grand Spectrums in play... with those dried lake archers dealing around 500ish base damage without any armor, the remaining 20k from other sources still should have been reducing damage by around 80%, while in reality I only saw *maybe* 20% reduction. Is it possible there's some other interaction going on? Cuz it still doesn't add up with the numbers I saw while testing.

*edit*
Spoiler
Yeah, I gotta say this still isn't adding up. I went back to dried lake with my Chieftan character (called Iron_Sirocco_Shppy) that's got a bunch of increased armor and still these numbers aren't working out like they should. Even without Grand Spectrums, even just using nothing but either Brass Dome or Death's Oath for armor, I'm not seeing the reductions I should be seeing against the archers, still certainly not as much reduction as I get against the comparable base damage of the signature melee enemies in the area. There's something very funky about the way these damages are getting calculated somewhere along the lines.

The melee guys seem to be doing 500-700 damage while I'm naked (0 armor), and when I toss on Brass Dome to move up to 9500 armor, they never do more than 300... plugged into the armor formula, the expected amount of damage I should take when hit for 700 damage with 9500 armor would be just a hair over 300... that adds up.

Yet going over to a bow enemy (and again his regular attacks, not the Tshots), I'm seeing about 450-650 damage while naked. But when I throw on that same Brass Dome and nothing more, i'm legitimately not seeing *any* difference. It's the same 450-650 or so... at worst I should be taking less than 300 again, just like in the melee case. I swapped over to my Death's Oath too, which puts my armor at 4100, and should mean I take at most 400 damage per hit, but nope, still the same range.

This is really funky, cuz now this 3rd round of testing puts me right back to matching the results of my initial tests, while my second round of testing with my eponymous character *seemed* to work correctly. Now I've gotta go back and check things out on him.

*edit #2*
Spoiler
Went back to my eponymous character, Shppy, for more testing, since he's the one that seemed to perform "normally", contrary to my first round of testing. Found some more interesting tidbits. So first of all he's Iron Reflexes. Now, with nothing equipped, he's still got 1200 armor rating, but both the melee and ranged enemies do pretty close to full damage, as expected.

So now, when I equip my normal gear setup of 13k armor, which involves Devoto's, Cherrubim's, and some pure evasion rares, I see a reasonable amount of damage reduction, enough so that I wouldn't question it even if it's not quite exactly right. However, when I take all that off and equip a Brass Dome, which leaves me at 15k armor, once again the bow guy seems to deal full damage. Switching to my Death's Oath, leaving me at 7.5k armor, feels no different.

Now, after equipping *only* my cherrubim's, leaving me at 8.5k armor, I'm seeing a little reduction in damage, down to about 400-450ish per hit, but still above the 300 or so i *should* be taking according to the formula.

Additionally, after taking off all of my gear and simply activating level 20 Grace, which puts me at about 11k armor, now the bow guys deal very low damage, a little over 200 or so, which adds up pretty much perfectly with the formula.

Finally, I tried simply equipping my Devoto's and nothing else, with no more Grace. This left me at 4.5k armor. It seemed like I was taking about 300-350 damage like that (although I saw one shot spike up to 500... probably a crit), which seems to roughly align with the proper armor formula.

So... idk. Armor derived from evasion via IR seems to work just fine, for starters. But at the very least armor derived from a chestpiece does not seem to do anything. It's hard to tell if the armor from my helm did anything, as over half of Devoto's is evasion which seems to work properly regardless of where it comes from, but...

...well, the fellow who also tested earlier in the thread said his tests showed armor working pretty much exactly as expected, but he used a shield for his base armor. The common factors I've been using to test have been Grand Spectrums (that have been pointed out to not be working properly) and chestpieces. And at least to some degree Cherrubim's, which is partly evasion, seems to help, while pure armor chestpieces are doing nothing.

So I'm thinking that armor (but not evasion converted to armor) from from chestpieces is not properly contributing to this 'armor vs projectiles' stat. Perhaps it has something to do with changes made to implement the Unbreakable notable in the Juggernaut tree? After all, that only applies to chestpieces, and only to armor (not converted evasion) from those chestpieces... sounds like more than coincidence to me.

Anyway, I hope these tests have provided you a little more help in determining what's wrong. I do believe I've managed to find the source of all the discrepancies both within my tests and involving the tests of the other fellow, so hopefully this has narrowed it down quite a bit for you. I can most certainly assure you it isn't *just* Grand Spectrums, it's definitely gotta be something more.
Last edited by Shppy on Oct 18, 2016, 2:36:31 AM
editted OP with conclusions from further testing
Tested again - this time with armour from body instead of armour from shield. Determination used in both cases.

No body => 1281 armour => damage range 193..578
Body => 6733 armour => damage range 196..549

Results from yesterday as reference:
armour shield + Determination => 8429 armour => I got a damage range of 79..307 per attack.
no shield + Grace => 1529 armour => I got a damage range of 198..571 per attack.

I would conclude from that: There is strong indication that armour from body piece does not work vs the ranged TS mob in Dried Lake.

I used a random rare as body armour:
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
I just tested this myself and I'm nearly 100% certain that body armor isn't being calculated against projectiles. A Dried Lake archer hits me for about 400 on average with or without my nice rare chest on. I pop a granite and the archer can't even hit me for 100 damage.
What a scandal.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Interesting. Is it related to the bug where chest armour wasn't adding to Armour against projectiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1666712/page/1
?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
It was always obvious someone at GGG hates armour and melee. He must have implemented this feature at some point secretly to have it sit there uncovered for the years. ^_^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info