[3.8] What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper! [Fire/Ice Trap build][UberAtziri/Shaper Video]

"
Levirael wrote:
Can this build be used as a league starter or should I look into it as my second build?

It should work as a League starter no problem! The only thing that may get a bit expensive are the Shaped Gloves with Trap Support on them, but that comes much later, anyways, and can be temporarily bypassed via Deerstalker.
"
MrMoho wrote:
It should work as a League starter no problem! The only thing that may get a bit expensive are the Shaped Gloves with Trap Support on them, but that comes much later, anyways, and can be temporarily bypassed via Deerstalker.

Alright, then I'll be doing this build. Thanks!
Alright, time to give my proper post-patch comment now that I had a chance to get to level 90 and my gems to 20.

First, I don't think I will change anything of the build, even though I must admit Ice Trap is now not so good anymore. Technically it now deals more damage before the Patch, but that is purely due to the fact that it is now so easy to obtain Frenzy Charges due to Charged Traps. I can imagine why they reduced the damage of it, due to the fact the cooldown was removed and that by its lonesome one could actually run out of charges (even though it only had a 2 second cooldown) so they tuned it down to keep its old DPS. However, considering the two other Elemental "Main" Traps were buffed (Fire Trap and Lightning Trap), Ice Trap, which people already considered to be mediocre at best (this build was really the last one to use it, and even then it was mostly just used as a bridge for Fire Trap), was left in the dust. Fire Trap is literally better in every sense than it. The only thing Ice Trap has going is that it deals Cold Damage, which really is just a mood point.
One of my ideas was to use both Shaped Gloves and Deerstalker and get another Trap Link, using either Ice Nova or Vortex. Both those skills deal a lot more damage in a five-link like that, not to mention that Vortex slows enemies down consistently. Bottom line, Ice Trap needs a buff.

I did consider using Lightning Spire Trap for this build, but decided to go with Shock Nova Trap instead, due to the fact it's very awkward to use, the high cooldown makes it near useless for map clearing and against bosses it often fails to properly deliver damage. Main issue is that I think (Although, I am fairly confident) that the Trap does not hit targets directly below it. How do enemies trigger Traps? By standing on them. And if targeted, you will throw them directly below said enemies. So they start off standing in the safe zone. And a lot of bosses often are mostly stationary, so they are completely unharmed by it. Shock Nova Trap is far less frustrating to use, and it works wonders together with Charged Traps.

Charged Traps Support on the Shock Nova link is a great idea, saves a lot of skillpoints and keeps you going with full Power and Frenzy Charges. Fantastic Gem! This should always be in one of your Traps if you don't use Blast Cascade and Master Sapper. Also, it causes Tinkerskin to be utterly useless on this build now, as none of this builds main Traps have a cooldown.

Siphoning Trap is far less useful as I intially expected, but it isn't a complete waste. One should never waste more than 2 slots on it in my opinion. Although, as it works quite nice by its lonesome already, putting it into an Unset Ring is a viable option.

Overall, this build now deals more damage (especially Fire Trap), even Ice Trap (be it just for Charged Traps offering a sustainable source of Frenzy Charges). An issue is, due to Ice Trap being so weak, that it actually isn't really all that needed to go with 3 Elements on this build now. Not just because there is no cooldown on any of the Traps, but because, well, Ice Trap is just so weak. I'm going to test around with other Trap links first before calling Ice Trap off for good, but I truly wish that GGG buffs it along Fire Trap and Lightning Trap.

I also properly upgraded the Path of Building link. Hopefully I didn't forget to change anything.
Last edited by MrMoho on Jun 14, 2018, 10:28:59 AM
Alright, finally, after finding some time in schedule, did I manage to make some new Video's for Chimera and Shaper. Hopefully sooner than later will I also be able to Upload a Video for a High Tier Elder.

As you can see in the new videos, the damage has gotten much, much better. This is due to Fire Trap being far more powerful and that the skilltree now is laid out much better for Trappers, not to mention the new nodes and the New Charged Traps gem.

Ice Trap is still pretty meh. Vortex Traps may be a tad more powerful now through their DoT. If you wear Deerstalker on top of Shaped Gloves, you can easily get yourself a 5-linked Ice Nova/Vortex Trap that will be more powerful than Ice Trap in a 4-link. Albeit, I know you could put Ice Trap in your gloves for a 5-link and then Shock Nova in Deerstalker for another 5-link. Ice Trap may be sliiiightly more powerful than Ice Nova Trap, then, but I doubt Vortex if we put the DoT into consideration.

I also upgraded my current gear to my 3.3 stuff.

Edit 05.07.2018: Good news, everybody! 3.3 made an Uber Atziri run actually quite easy with this build now. I hereby officially proclaim it also Uber Atziri viable! Video should be up tomorrow or so.
Edit 05.07.2018: Video is up.
Last edited by MrMoho on Jul 5, 2018, 7:39:11 AM
Is it possible to switch out Ice trap for Glacial Cascade traps? Without losing too much DPS?
"
Is it possible to switch out Ice trap for Glacial Cascade traps? Without losing too much DPS?

Well, not something I actually ever considered. First problem would be that Glacial Cascade only turns 60% of its damage into Cold Element and thus Elemental Equilibrium would only effect 60% of its damage. Second, by going by Path of Building, it will deal quite a bit less damage per hit compared to Ice Trap on this build, even when on a 5-link. To top it off, Glacial Cascade is impossible to aim when you use it with Traps or even Mines. It's not too much of an issue with Mines, but I can imagine it being a pain with Traps.

Bottom line, you can try it out, but I doubt not without losing a decent chunk of DPS.
3.4 is around the corner, and I must say, I am actually pleased! All base traps (Fire, Ice, Lightning and Explosive) deal 40% more base damage. That's a severe boost! I wanna say that Ice Trap thus now was saved from the scrappy heap, but, well, it still is far worse than Fire Trap if it also obtains 40% more damage.

Cluster Trap now throws one less trap. Honestly, I doubt this build will be effected much by that. Fire Trap was the main source of single target damage, and I never connected it with Cluster Trap, anyways. Overall, we get lots of more damage!

Also, there are new Prophecies to upgrade Uniques, but it wasn't revealed which ones. Let's hope Deerstalker is amongst them!

I shall upgrade the Skilltree hopefully somewhere around the next week, though from the looks, nothing really changes around the Shadow, anyways.
Greetings!

Can you please check your paste bin code. I can't import your "POB Link for version 3.4."

POB echos this error: "Invalid tree link (unknown version number '615013611')"

PS: My POB Version 1.4.108

Thanks.
"
cre8ived wrote:
Greetings!

Can you please check your paste bin code. I can't import your "POB Link for version 3.4."

POB echos this error: "Invalid tree link (unknown version number '615013611')"

PS: My POB Version 1.4.108

Thanks.

Strange, worked for me. Well, I updated it, just to be sure. Should hopefully work for you now, as well!
pantheon?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info