[2.4][EHC] Tornado Shot Slayer | 6k+ HP | 40/46% Dodge/Spell Dodge | Crazy Clear Speed/Fun!

I've been getting quite a few PMs about the current build I'm running in Essence Hardcore, since a lot of people seemed shocked that a Slayer is shooting a bow, so I've decided to post at least a rough build guide. I know my gear is pretty insane at this point, but I started at level 1 using a bow, and have made it all the way to 90 with bows. One of the smoothest leveling experiences period. Might update things to be more detailed if there's enough interest, and you can always hit me up in game @Laynz or @twitch.tv/Laynz. On to the good stuff!

Build Idea:
Spoiler
The build honestly started as kind of a joke, just wanting to play anything Slayer. It's by far and away my favorite Ascendancy mechanically. I played around with the idea of a Lightning Arrow Slayer in the Prophecy league, and it worked out pretty well. As it turns out, the minor Slayer nodes are worded as "Increased Damage with Two-Handed Weapons" meaning that since you hold a bow with TWO HANDS, yep. It works. So essentially, nothing is really wasted here with this ascendancy. By combining amazing evasion, dodge, spell dodge and some decent reflexes, you have a fast clearing, perma-onslaught, super tanky, bleed/stun-immune super leeching monster of a character.

Skill Tree as of L90:

Bandits:
Spoiler
Oak, Kraityn, Alira

Note: For Cruel, you can take either Oak or Kraityn, or the skillpoint for that matter, but I like the attack speed for stacking poison and feel it wins out over any other choice here.

Gear:
Spoiler

This is by no means a required item, as I used Death's Opus until around level 82 or so, when I finally made enough currency to buy a Reach, but when you finally switch to Reach, your whole world will change. Poison damage goes through the roof since you get to drop a less modifier (GMP), and your clear speed will increase accordingly.
Required. Honestly. Nothing else even pales in comparison. The damage scaling is insane with a 100% pierce build. Just use it.
There are a couple options you could go with here. I guess a Lightning Coil would work well enough, or even a Kaom's Heart(Although in this case I think the loss of Evasion isn't worth it), but Kintsugi is truly a jewel for this build. Good life, decent resist, and the dodge entropy buff is absurdly strong for this build. Plus it looks completely badass.
A must have for poison. Poison is your single target damage. As stated with the Reach, you'll truly appreciate these when you get it and you can really see the poison damage at play. Trivializes most bosses.
Not required by any means, but a very nice defensive piece with the additional spell dodge. Great life, great movespeed. I was able to make the resists work and be completely elemental weakness capped for all tiers, so it was a no-brainer.

Playstyle:
Spoiler
Your life leech will keep you topped off at all times, and it's actually an absurd amount of leech/leech rate. I can't remember the last time I actually used my life flask, and have considered dropping it altogether. Outside of 40% reduced recovery maps, nothing save a one-shot will ever make you need to hit a life flask. Additionally, while you're leeching (which is literally always), you'll never be stunned and never bleed, so you don't need staunching on flasks. Move from rare to rare, keeping up onslaught(the cull is insane of course, for bosses too), and every kill you make gives you 20% MORE damage, so this really encourages blitzing maps. Don't stop!

On bosses, all you've gotta do is drop your wither totem, ensure you maintain Frenzy charges(they're sort of short, around 11 second duration with my current build), and you'll completely melt bosses. The initial projectiles from Tornado Shot pierce, so I generally shoot THROUGH the boss, to ensure that extra stack of poison, as well as the stacks from the smaller projectiles from the tornados.

Leveling Tips:
Spoiler
This is probably one of the easiest builds you'll ever level, even in a fresh league, and it's that much better with some twink gear such as Death's Harp.

Levels 1-32:
-Grab split arrow and whatever bow, doesn't really matter at this level. When you hit level 9, switch to Storm Cloud and toss in added lightning and maybe increased crit strikes(totally optional, but it's nice to level it at this point anyway).

-At level 18, throw on Roth's Reach for the free chainbang, and get comfy with it. You'll be using it until 32. At level 28, grab Tornado Shot and link it up with Increased Crit Strikes, GMP and Pierce as you get the levels for the support gems. When you hit 32, toss on a Death's Harp and watch your DPS skyrocket. This is the point you'll really start seeing things melt, and it only gets better from here. At 36 you can use Drillneck, which will be insane at that level, so grab that if you can afford it ASAP. Keep doing what you're doing until 44.

Level 44:
-Stop what you're doing at this point and buy a Death's Opus. Even if it completely breaks your bank, it's worth it. You can map with this bow. It is completely end-game viable with this build. You'll be using it until you can afford a Reach of the Council, so it may be worth trying to 5L it. Up to you.

Levels 44+
Just do your thing. If you get a 5L, throw in Phys Proj Attack Damage and that'll be your setup for a while. Just to clarify, until you get a reach of the council your main link will be (in order of importance): Tornado Shot-Inc Crit Strike-GMP-Pierce-Faster Attacks/PPAD. Your end goal here is to get a Reach, at which point you can drop GMP and replace it with Crit Damage or Slower Proj, however I personally felt that Slow Proj nerfed my clear speed more than it helped, which is why I went with Crit Damage.

Skill Tree around lvl 32:

Skill Tree around lvl 55:

Skill Tree around lvl 70:

Anything past this is up to your personal needs. You can see my skill tree at 90 above, so just fill in life/damage as you see fit.

Order of Ascendancy:

Spoiler
I personally chose Bane of Legends first, as the essentially permanent onslaught will make you fly through progression, and the huge 20% cull trivializes boss encounters even more. If you are feeling squishy or not terribly confident in the build, feel free to take Endless Hunger first. By Cruel lab I would aim for having the Bane/Hunger combo. In my opinion the biggest bonus you'll get from Headsman is the reflect reduction, which I don't feel you will need until you get a Reach. That said, pick up Brutal Fervour from Merc lab and you'll seriously see this build take off. You'll be amazed at how little you need to hit your life flask. After Uber Lab pick up Headsmen and you're all set. Never have to worry about reflect at all(Please don't do phys reflect maps. You'll die and it won't be my fault! I warned you!)

Hopefully this answers most of the leveling aspects of the build, but feel free to ask questions if you didn't find your answer here!

A fairly important note about Snakebites: You may notice that I opted not to take the ranger frenzy charge. This is due to the fact that you do not gain a duration node prior to getting it. Same with the merc bandits. If you get frenzy charges without the duration nodes, they will be extremely hard to sustain on bosses. Frustratingly so. I just didn't think it was worth the pain.

That's pretty much all of the crucial info I can think of at the moment. The build by no means requires TWO 6-Links, I just got absurdly lucky and it really enhanced the smoothness of the build. If anyone has any additional questions, feel free to shoot me a message in-game or post on here and I'll be glad to answer them.
Last edited by Laynz086 on Oct 1, 2016, 10:10:14 PM
Last bumped on Apr 17, 2017, 1:00:06 PM
I'm still kinda new so I was wondering what you would recommend for leveling in terms of items, skills, etc.

I also checked your twitch channel but I can't find any gameplay of this build :c
Nice Build.

I toyed arout with Slayer last league with a Bow and LA. Pack clearing and mapping speed is enourmous.

I have plans for making a new one with Barrage and volley fire with poison. So I have to say I really like your build!

I'll add it to the List now.

ps: I'm soooo envy about the 6L reach lol
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
really enjoying the build. played to lvl63 in 2 days, which is pretty fast for me

is there any mid ground upgrade between death's opus and reach of the council?
Last edited by eirstryder on Oct 1, 2016, 3:42:44 AM
"
eirstryder wrote:
is there any mid ground upgrade between death's opus and reach of the council?

Nah, you could try to find a decent Harbinger bow but when I was looking for them before Reach I didn't find it worth it to drop 75+ chaos on a sidegrade. The crit multi + arrows is insane for TS with this build.
I have never used any of the bow skills in this game and i think i am going to give your build a shot.
Just wondering if you could possibly add in what order you got your ascendancies and some hints on how to level the build
"
Yatunic wrote:
I have never used any of the bow skills in this game and i think i am going to give your build a shot.
Just wondering if you could possibly add in what order you got your ascendancies and some hints on how to level the build

Sure, I can make a leveling portion with suggested skill allocations at set intervals. Might be a few but I'll get something up.
Updated with a leveling tips section. I'm surprised at the interest this has gotten but thanks for the support and I hope you guys have fun!
I've been running something similar but with blast rain. It benefits from the aoe ascendencies, though the phys reflect mitigation is less useful.

I think blind is really nice especially with kintsugi, and it's pretty easy to apply with either a stibnite or one of all those extra slots you get with the second 6 link.
"
Ardlien wrote:
I've been running something similar but with blast rain. It benefits from the aoe ascendencies, though the phys reflect mitigation is less useful.

I think blind is really nice especially with kintsugi, and it's pretty easy to apply with either a stibnite or one of all those extra slots you get with the second 6 link.

I tried Blast Rain for single target with one of the 6L and Tornado Shot surpassed it in every way with this specific build. Not to mention it just had much less clear speed. You don't even need to aim with Tornado Shot, just shoot the ground in front of your feet every few seconds and you'll clear the entire screen. As for blind, it's not an awful thing to have but nothing survives long enough to even apply blind.
Last edited by Laynz086 on Oct 1, 2016, 10:27:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info