Uninstalled.

"
Hughs wrote:
The reality is simple, the game can't survive long enough if they only keep old players around, they need a fresh base of players that can contribute and help the game to become better in the future. And for that, they need to think ideas that can improve the game to make it fair to everyone.

I almost agree with you. Allow me to change "fair" to "accessible" and I can agree fully.

"Fair to everyone" is impossible, if by "fair" you mean "old players don't have a massive advantage over new players."

But making the game more accessible to new players is something I have always rooted for, and something I feel GGG does not prioritize enough, and that others don't encourage GGG to prioritize, largely because they (both GGG and many of its players) confuse "hardcore" with "esoteric."
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Hughs wrote:
The reality is simple, the game can't survive long enough if they only keep old players around, they need a fresh base of players that can contribute and help the game to become better in the future. And for that, they need to think ideas that can improve the game to make it fair to everyone.

I almost agree with you. Allow me to change "fair" to "accessible" and I can agree fully.

"Fair to everyone" is impossible, if by "fair" you mean "old players don't have a massive advantage over new players."

But making the game more accessible to new players is something I have always rooted for, and something I feel GGG does not prioritize enough, and that others don't encourage GGG to prioritize, largely because they (both GGG and many of its players) confuse "hardcore" with "esoteric."

Let me clear it for you then, by fair i meant that the new players should be allowed to have an oportunity (a small chance that they don't have in the present) to reach in a point the oldest players without the need to trade everything (even the process to learn to trade, to price stuff and everything is extremely difficult) and for that they require to improve self-found (even if i take them a year to reach older players, that would be still far better than the current state of the game).

This will help the game to growth, they will be able to make more money, therefore, more content, and everybody will be happy about it.

And yes, please don't confuse hardcore with softcore.
"
Hughs wrote:
by fair I meant that the new players should be allowed to have an opportunity to reach in a point the oldest players without the need to trade everything

That equalization is literally impossible. It's odd you don't realize it.

The difference between "new" and "old" is obviously the time investment. It equals to massive disparity in accumulation of items and currency, collected over time. Mind there are already players with many thousands of hours put in.
Experience and knowledge are also related to play time, an old player will be multiple times more efficient in both character progression and wealth accumulation, thus widening the gap.

Legacy items aside, without trading a new player got to have a time machine to equalize.

PoE is already on the casual road, for long, but what you ask for is impossible.
An expanded ingame tutorial is what would really help the new players, the rest is up to them.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
torturo wrote:
"
Hughs wrote:
by fair I meant that the new players should be allowed to have an opportunity to reach in a point the oldest players without the need to trade everything

That equalization is literally impossible. It's odd you don't realize it.

The difference between "new" and "old" is obviously the time investment. It equals to massive disparity in accumulation of items and currency, collected over time. Mind there are already players with many thousands of hours put in.
Experience and knowledge are also related to play time, an old player will be multiple times more efficient in both character progression and wealth accumulation, thus widening the gap.

Legacy items aside, without trading a new player got to have a time machine to equalize.

PoE is already on the casual road, for long, but what you ask for is impossible.
An expanded ingame tutorial is what would really help the new players, the rest is up to them.

You didn't read everything i wrote. Of course older players will have a lot of advantages thanks to the legacy items and the time expended in the game (it is intended that way and is what happens with every single game, is logical), and old players will know how to gain wealth and make a character progress in the easiest ways.

But my point is that new players need an oportunity to reach older players (as i mentioned, even if that tooks them a year or more, in the present they don't have that, they just CAN'T reach older players in any possible way). And the easiest way to make it fair, is to improve the self-found in this game (try to make a trade tutorial for poe.trade and how to price items).

Oh right, there EXISTS already some clues about that: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/56rtmk/the_is_this_item_worth_something_guide/

But that is exactly what is wrong with the game, are you going to teach new players how to play or how to trade? They need an oportunity, and now they don't have it, that's why they will keep unistalling. GGG need's new players like every single game.
"
Hughs wrote:

Oh right, there EXISTS already some clues about that: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/56rtmk/the_is_this_item_worth_something_guide/

But that is exactly what is wrong with the game, are you going to teach new players how to play or how to trade? They need an oportunity, and now they don't have it, that's why they will keep unistalling. GGG need's new players like every single game.

Just going to jump in on this a little bit. The link you posted does say "is this item worth something" but in all fairness, it is more of a "is this item worth keeping." This does not inherently point out that you only want to bother selling the item, but if it is "worth" keeping it around because the item is good. Even if you play solo self found from the start, this guide will still let a new player know if x item is worth planning on using. You don't want new players sinking a 6s into a chest that has triple resists below 10% and mediocre damage mitigation/ehp. Irrelevant to value, the guide still lets players know the minimums of what make an item "worth" holding on to for both self use or selling.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
Hughs wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Hughs wrote:

Let me clear it for you then, by fair i meant that the new players should be allowed to have an oportunity (a small chance that they don't have in the present) to reach in a point the oldest players without the need to trade everything (even the process to learn to trade, to price stuff and everything is extremely difficult) and for that they require to improve self-found (even if i take them a year to reach older players, that would be still far better than the current state of the game).

This will help the game to growth, they will be able to make more money, therefore, more content, and everybody will be happy about it.

And yes, please don't confuse hardcore with softcore.

Huh?

My use of the word "hardcore" has nothing to do with hardcore vs. softcore. Think of the phrase "hardcore gamer" vs. "casual gamer." Hardcore vs. ESOTERIC is the conflation I criticized. Not HC leagues vs. SC leagues.

Esoteric mechanics make older players feel like they are more skilled and cleverer than newer players, but in fact they are not, for it is an invented difficulty. Challenge via obscurity, if you will. "Bu-bu-but I am so hardcore, because I know dis shit!" (No, you're not. You're just exploiting GGG's failure to make mechanics transparent.)

Also, a lot of people are going to disagree with you for the simple fact that you haven't defined "reach" to mean anything different than that which has already been pointed out as impossible. What exactly do you mean by that word, then?
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Nov 7, 2016, 10:59:18 AM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Huh?

My use of the word "hardcore" has nothing to do with hardcore vs. softcore. Think of the phrase "hardcore gamer" vs. "casual gamer." Hardcore vs. ESOTERIC is the conflation I criticized. Not HC leagues vs. SC leagues.

Esoteric mechanics make older players feel like they are more skilled and cleverer than newer players, but in fact they are not, for it is an invented difficulty. Challenge via obscurity, if you will. "Bu-bu-but I am so hardcore, because I know dis shit!" (No, you're not. You're just exploiting GGG's failure to make mechanics transparent.)

Also, a lot of people are going to disagree with you for the simple fact that you haven't defined "reach" to mean anything different than that which has already been pointed out as impossible. What exactly do you mean by that word, then?

That the new players requires a chance to be able to clear the same content of the game and enjoy it as much than the older players (i dont mean as fast or effective as older players, as they exists a lot of information, techniques, legacy, builds, mirror items, expensive uniques, hell a lot of things to consider). Now new players won't be able to catch up older players in any single possible way.

Maybe i am wrong in some points, but what is real, is that the player base of POE isn't growing up, and that's an issue for everybody that likes the game and that would like to see more quality content.
Last edited by Hughs on Nov 7, 2016, 9:52:16 PM
"
Shredzilly wrote:
OP has some valid Points.

I still play and enjoy / hate POE, and that will be so until a real Competitor joins the Market.
That is the Advantage POE has at the Moment, no other Game fits that good in the Genre right now but once something new, more polished is coming up, lot of People will notice the many Flaws this Game has.

This pretty much sums up how I feel playing PoE. I amuse myself with playing my summoner build, but some of this game's flaws annoy the living shit out of me and takes my enjoyment away. Labyrinth is a major part of those flaws.

Dear GGG, your Labyrinth trials are doing more harm than good. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to spawn endless skeletons in those small spaces while we have to run past them on a timed burning ground of death?
My summoner guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1765329
My shop thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1748967
"
Kaz2ndChance wrote:
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to spawn endless skeletons in those small spaces while we have to run past them on a timed burning ground of death?

There are mob spawners, destroy them and move on. :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Kaz2ndChance wrote:

Dear GGG, your Labyrinth trials are doing more harm than good. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to spawn endless skeletons in those small spaces while we have to run past them on a timed burning ground of death?

If anything, the skeletons don't showcase bad decision making for the lab, but how needed melee fixes and such are. I have had 0 problems with the endless spawning skeletons with builds that can easily do aoe ahead of my character, the spawners die and the path is cleaned up. When I have had to run in at melee range, even with an aoe melee skill, everything goes to crap if you want to just try to run past them. Usually takes an EQ aftershock to clear the path and spawners for the short run.

Endless skeletons and timed burning ground make sense. It is a combo purposely used to screw you over. The problem is that certain builds can clear through that kind of obstacle before it is a problem and other builds can't.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info