[outdated] King of the Forest (Crit version)

Just wanted to post that I have been following this build this entire league, on my first Shadow, and it has been a blast!

Only reason I haven't completed 36 challenges yet is due to laziness. Simple employment of skills although I am not fully fleshed out yet gem wise, the swapping of Tornado Shot and Lightning Arrow for reflects has been smooth.

Haven't been able to farm all red maps rare + corrupt, but have done a few so far to work on Sextant challenge.

All easy, all straightforward, going to stick the Shadow with this build for as long as I can.
† You were a good man in a bad situation, Fairgraves. †
See what I am currently after here: 1767138
Thanks Chris! 2797098
"
Winny_The_Pou wrote:
What do you think about volley fire in the build , location jewel upper the blood drinker , you just need to add 1 skillpoints in dexterity to get 4 more barrage projectiles !

Tell me if its worth 4 arrow !!

This is addressed in the FAQ.

"They are useless. volley fire adds projectiles to the sides, not into the straight line. so volley fire adds an AoE effect to barrage, which we don't need. We use Lightning Arrow for AoE clear, which is far better than volley fire barrage.
We only use barrage for single target."
Last edited by HIJKLMNOPQ on Dec 26, 2016, 11:10:50 PM
While I struggled a bit around lvl 80 (even posted for help a couple of pages back) hte build's strengh really kicked in once I got a bit better jewellery and started using Temp Chains on hit Snakebite and Arctic Armour.
I'd like to make another big upgrade before I try to tackle the very end content (Uber Atziri, Shaper) and would like your opinions.

Left on the menu are: 6L Council, +2 Arrow Helmet, Vulnerability Snakebite and Dying Sun. What pays off the most?

Here's my gear:
"
BundesHeinz wrote:
While I struggled a bit around lvl 80 (even posted for help a couple of pages back) hte build's strengh really kicked in once I got a bit better jewellery and started using Temp Chains on hit Snakebite and Arctic Armour.
I'd like to make another big upgrade before I try to tackle the very end content (Uber Atziri, Shaper) and would like your opinions.

Left on the menu are: 6L Council, +2 Arrow Helmet, Vulnerability Snakebite and Dying Sun. What pays off the most?

Here's my gear:

Dying Sun > +2 Barrage Projectiles > 21/20 Added Chaos Damage >> Vulnerability > second 6L

Temp Chains already increases your poison damage by a lot so the only real upgrade from TC to Vuln is that Vuln also increases Phys Damage. It's good due to being a 'more' multiplier and making the poisons stronger as a side effect, but not amazingly good; my tooltip is more Chaos than it is Phys. I don't have one of these yet though, so this is theory. (It's the only costly piece I lack.)

Second 6L is just luxury in my opinion. My 5L LA one shots everything during clear in t15-16, and a 6th link won't make it one shot the mobs from Shaper's portal (ergo you will still have to use Barrage for them). I've done everything now and can't see a scenario where this is useful. It might be noticeable in some very tanky t15-16 maps, in the sense of making your LA one shot instead of two shot, but that's about it.

You forgot the 21/20 chaos gem as one of the expensive upgrades. Buying it for me with 13 arrows on Barrage (flasked) was very noticeable. I did however sell it right after killing Shaper and going back to XP farm - it's not needed unless you are doing the hardest content, and I rather farm gem XP on the way to sell and make more currency.

+2 Barrage Projectiles on helm is big. However, up until I got it, I used a helm with +40% Barrage Damage - that is only 1ex. They are easy to buy and easy to sell, so I'd consider this option if you don't wanna farm 10 exalts. (I got lucky and got mine for 6ex tho, so miracles happen.)

And Dying Sun is fucking incredible. The extra projectiles are juicy even in single target, and the things it does for clear speed just make you "wow". Buying it was one of my favorite moments on this character. Edit: it's important to get one with 'reduced' charges used, by the way. If you're going for Shaper specifically, being able to use it twice and not once per phase is a huge difference.
Last edited by M4RED on Dec 27, 2016, 1:21:32 AM
Do I need WED for this build? Trying to figure out if I should switch out this belt so that I can be ele weakness capped.

Also, should I use witchfire brew or atziri's promise?
Last edited by HIJKLMNOPQ on Dec 27, 2016, 1:43:17 AM
"
HIJKLMNOPQ wrote:
Do I need WED for this build? Trying to figure out if I should switch out this belt so that I can be ele weakness capped.

WED does very little - it only helps the LA, and our clear is already super smooth without that mod.

Rustic Sash or Leather Belt are the good bases. I prefer Rustic Sash now to get a bit more damage (especially Barrage damage), but I ran Leather Belt up until the moment I wanted to get more single target damage for Guardians and Shaper.

And about the flask: I used Witchfire Brew only once and that was for Shaper. The range of its curse aura is tiny, you need to go out of your way to benefit from it; it's easy on Shaper as you are only going to attack him while he's casting. I wouldn't want to go close vs any of the Guardians though. It's probably usable on Izaro too.
Last edited by M4RED on Dec 27, 2016, 1:59:20 AM
"
Thaya wrote:
"
HIJKLMNOPQ wrote:

And about the flask: I used Witchfire Brew only once and that was for Shaper. The range of its curse aura is tiny, you need to go out of your way to benefit from it; it's easy on Shaper as you are only going to attack him while he's casting. I wouldn't want to go close vs any of the Guardians though. It's probably usable on Izaro too.

Well that just proofs the build is very versatile as players use different ways to kill the hardest bosses. I used Witchfire for almost every boss with this build. My playstyle is to run all the time and dodge shit. When I see the chance I Blink Arrow onto boss, pop all Flasks and Barrage the hell into him.

Killed Uber Atziri this way last league however she eventually got her revenge and put my lvl 90 Ranger to Standard.
"Temporal Chains multiplies the duration on the monster that you are already multiplying through duration multipliers of poison damage."
- Inception by Kripp, 2017
"
Tizid wrote:
"
Thaya wrote:
"
HIJKLMNOPQ wrote:

Well that just proofs the build is very versatile as players use different ways to kill the hardest bosses. I used Witchfire for almost every boss with this build. My playstyle is to run all the time and dodge shit. When I see the chance I Blink Arrow onto boss, pop all Flasks and Barrage the hell into him.

Killed Uber Atziri this way last league however she eventually got her revenge and put my lvl 90 Ranger to Standard.
I think there's objective reasons for not going close to Minotaur or Phoenix - Mino has that huge slam attack (which he does basically every time he's not burrowing), and Phoenix alternates his casts between a large Discharge and a "Cyclone". The other two Guardians are straight up immune to Poison so there's no real benefit from Witchfire.

But yeah, you could add Atziri to the list of bosses Witchfire is good on. So Atziri, Shaper, Izaro.
Last edited by M4RED on Dec 27, 2016, 3:10:41 AM
Hello
First of all i wanted to say that i am enjoying the build and i am glad that i made my mind to play it in breach league. However i decided to go for shaper. i killed him once in 2.4 as my bv occultist. I failed miserably 4 times (best try around 15% hp left).

My question is how you handle portal phase with Zana?
Dmg seems to be very low and i can only pull it out somehow if my wither totem is up whole "event" along with blood rage and diamond flask. If i stop shooting for 1 sec its done zana dies i fall behind.

My gear:

Also one more note i tried to "compare" my dmg overall in fight vs cmphx's kill with white crude bow and i was much slower. Did they boost chaos resists in shaper fight in 2.5?
Last edited by mjethrox12 on Dec 27, 2016, 3:38:25 AM
"
Thaya wrote:
I think there's objective reasons for not going close to Minotaur or Phoenix - Mino has that huge slam attack (which he does basically every time he's not burrowing), and Phoenix alternates his casts between a large Discharge and a "Cyclone". The other two Guardians are straight up immune to Poison so there's no real benefit from Witchfire.

But yeah, you could add Atziri to the list of bosses Witchfire is good on. So Atziri, Shaper, Izaro.

Hmm and what do you think how melee chars can kill Minotaur or Phoenix? There is a point where you can safely go into melee range. I like it better to wait for that moment. Don't get me wrong. If there is no need for dodging but melee range would kill me I shot from range but the damage is significant better in melee range when no arrow misses and vulnerability is on the boss.

Also I forgot to mention I was specced into Point Blank.

For Hydra and Chimera you are definitely right. I only killed them once in Standard after I died and I switched from Reach to Opus to make use of another socket combination to scale phys dmg.

However I used Atziri's Promise anyways so the question was Witchfire or Silver Flask (which I used for better clearspeed). Nowadays I would switch to Sin's Rebirth since it's implemented to the game.
"Temporal Chains multiplies the duration on the monster that you are already multiplying through duration multipliers of poison damage."
- Inception by Kripp, 2017

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info