Why is reflect still in the game?

GGG is stubborn and will keep the mechanic in game for like a year still and then nerf it or remove it.
I have nothing against reflect if its well done, GGG reflect is one piece of really lazy made copy-paste mechanic.

For example current reflect:
1)Doesnt really penalize DPS, since if you have life leech and high attack speed you will outleech it. If you have BURST damage you will 1 shot yourself. So it penalize only certain builds.

2)IDoesnt affect summoner, chaos and dot builds.

3)Can 1 shot you off-screen - no chance to react.

4)There is no way to kill it via player skill - you either have the build or you ignore it or take high risk of killing yourself.

There are other mechanics that need to be removed or nerfed in game, one of them is lifeleech, especialy vaal pact. It trivialize to much of the content.
There should never be a mechanism in game that give you defens if you have high offense or vice versa. Since players will just stack load of one statistic and get load of other for free.

Pretty much, yeah. It's an all-or-nothing mechanic, and as such is extremely difficult to do well. I don't blame GGG for not having managed to do so.

But it is a cheap solution to the problem of power-creep. Make monsters and players BOTH less squishy and you've respectively decreased power-creep and decreased the incentive to go all-out DPS (to kill monsters--cheese them, really--before they can hit you).

GGG doesn't want to give us better defenses in part because they want to emphasize the importance of manual dodging (leet mouse-skills) in this game. That's fair enough. But GGG needs to COMMIT to this if that's what they really want, by lowering the amount of DPS that players can spit out and forcing all players to develop such skills.

And they need to do so in such as a way that non-nolifers and non-streamers don't get completely screwed. That's another balancing act that GGG does't have the best track record with.

Implementing diminishing returns on DPS analogous to how diminishing returns work on defense might be a good compromise.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Weren't reflects moved to only nemesis maps?

And it's really good to read annualy reflect threads while nothing is done about it or other mechanics interconnected with it.
Spreading salt since 2006
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Pretty much, yeah. It's an all-or-nothing mechanic, and as such is extremely difficult to do well.
The way I see it, reflected damage is stupid because your only option is to build around it. There is no way to play around it with piloting skill.

Corrupted Blood is an example of a similar mechanic which does the job better. You can build around it, it you can just use a Staunching flask (which technically is still building around it, but one affix on one flask is minimal investment required).

I think every form of "unavoidable" damage, including reflected damage, should follow the core design of "this applies Ignite or Poison or Bleed." (Corrupted Blood would make more sense as Poison, really, since Bleeds don't normally stack.) This would allow players to still play glassy, but test their reflexes (in lieu of their tankiness).

So in short, not THAT hard to do well. Already been done in a way.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 7, 2016, 2:35:52 AM
God I should of just done my usual bullshit build that's immune to reflect like not even Vaal pact leech can save me from the amount of burst that I do it's so fucking stupid.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Hier, have 100% reflect on Racecourse.

How do you like that?! /bitchslap
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I think reflect doesn't let me doing the build I want.

In the recent leagues (Essence, Prophecy, Perandus..), I've chosen a build that it isn't affected by reflect.
Why to do a very hard build and buy very expensive stuff to manage reflect when I can play trap/mine/totem/caustic arrow/chaos dmg...

And those builds are quite popular especially because they work around reflect.
Moreover, you can play almost all map mods, don't worry anymore about reflect maps. Got a unidentified rare map? Don't care, just launch it unidentified, not sacred to discover phys or elem reflect on the first pack.

After I tired many times to use Vaal Pact or high +maximum resistance, and even got one shot on a reflect mob, and forced to lower my DPS, I forget to make those builds.

That get me a bit sad because there are a lot of build I want to do, but I know I'm gonna rage when I'll get one shot on a fucking reflect mob.
"
herflik wrote:

For example current reflect:
1)Doesnt really penalize DPS, since if you have life leech and high attack speed you will outleech it. If you have BURST damage you will 1 shot yourself. So it penalize only certain builds.

this problem was solved with reflect packs in open beta and release. then they removed reflect packs.
with reflect packs, not rares, you wouldnt outleech reflect without VP

"

2)IDoesnt affect summoner, chaos and dot builds.

it doesnt affect indirect damage- which is good, because indirect damage cannot leech. it's a tradeoff.

chaos is a problem though. people can leech through chaos damage but cant reflect. that's a huge problem.

"

3)Can 1 shot you off-screen - no chance to react.

not quite, you 1 shoot yourself off-screen -that is an important distinction.

"

4)There is no way to kill it via player skill - you either have the build or you ignore it or take high risk of killing yourself.

of course there is. it might be highly unoptimal and a kryptonite tactics for 'muh efficiency' peeps, but there is always a way. carry indirect damage auxilary skill such as a totem. carry a half and half ele/phys skill. take out your 'mad deeps' more multipliers. wear a sibyls.

theres a ton of things one can do to mitigate reflect - it's only a matter of wanting to mitigate it.

the main problem is that rather to engage in problem solving, most people decide instead to simply work around the problem itself (ie, chaos damage). kinda like best way to invest in mana for people was to not to invest anything at all and avoid it through some kind of avoidance tools (elreon jewelry, etc)

"

There are other mechanics that need to be removed or nerfed in game, one of them is lifeleech, especialy vaal pact. It trivialize to much of the content.

life leech without VP is fine for most part.

VP is definitely something I can agree with, although Im not sure whether its needed to be removed completely. but definitely nerfed. especially nowadays when CI is at its best since like onslaught times, and VP synergizes well with it
Last edited by grepman on Sep 7, 2016, 3:49:18 AM
"
I really just want it to be a grimdawn mechanic or shamfully d3 reflect which is both of turning it on and off basically.

Like this is literally my first time I've NOT played a build that's anti reflect it's so fucking stupid.

Bump.

I wanted to make something different now that I got screwed over by GGG in regards to Femurs of the Saint + Skeletons .... But every time I'm planning on making a non-totem/non-minion build, sooner or later I get reminded of this BS. Now with the guardians being immune to poison/bleed I dunno ... I've lost all motivation to play.

People that say it's the *only* mechanic that keeps your eyes on the screen instead of the TV should try to realize that this simply points to a whole different problem. Challenge can exist without such lameness. Also, HC is different. You obviously do want defenses there regardless of reflect, but dealing with phys reflect when trying to plan a melee phys build just limits my choices to a point where I'd rather play a different game.
Oh man I don't complain about reflect anymore cuz you know I went to another anti reflect build whew nice mechanics nice fucking mechanics.

LOL!
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info