Armor Degeneration after Each Lvlup needs to go from the Game.

Hello GGG and Community.

Time has come to share my thoughts about a mechanic.

Those of us whos past lvl70 are already farming Map after Map.
You might have noticed something.

Armor has a degeneration effect in the gamne. Each time you reach a new lvl, your DMG Reduction goes down by 1%...

Some might wonder: *Is he really bitching over 1%?*

Dear gents, let's take some things into consideration.

1: You have a finite amount of possible Armor you can gain.
2: You're Armor Degenerates in such a "fast" rate, that the current item scaling in the game is not able to compensate it.
3: Everything in the game hits like a Truck...

What you could "easily" kill for example on lvl70 with 50% DMG Reduction, You will have troubles to take the punishing from the Same Mob/Boss on lvl80...

Why?

Your DMG Reduction is only 40%. That extra 10% received DMG can easily mean Life, or losing 15% XP.

Since the one "crying". I make myself as the example in this complaint.

I'm runnning Determination with Several Armor increase Nodes + Good Armor on my gear.

This results in 8000ish Armor.

Now I'm on lvl76 with 42% DMG Reduction. I'm already scared to even further advance in the game since there's hardly any items that means upgrade in my Armor.

What will happen when I reach lvl86? 32% DMG Reduction. <-- That seems wrong.

Leveling shouldn't punish the player... Sure we do spend 10SP in the meantime.
But does that really compensates on the loss of flat 10% DMG Reduction?

No.

If any1 bothered to read the whole post. It's appreciated.
Please leave your thoughts in a decent manner.
can't you just plan an armor node cluster in your build every 10 or so levels or is that not enough to counter the drop?

maybe if str gave a % of armor like dex gives evasion it would help. evasion can get off with 45-50% evade where you run into DR without ever putting points into an evade node because of all the dex you run into with evade builds
Armor's damage reduction is not affected by your level. The % displayed is when you are hit by a monster at the same level as your character, so the damage reduction will not change unless you are progressing to higher map levels.
@BUTTKITCHEN
Your armor is not actually doing less. Here's how it works:

The number in your character screen is an estimate based on how much damage the average monster of the same level as you will do.

Armor has less damage reduction vs larger hits, and enemies hit harder as you level up.

So when you level up, the damage reduction estimate is updated to reflect the average hit of an enemy of the new level.

Full armor mechanics are better explained in the mechanics thread.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Feb 20, 2013, 12:55:32 AM
"
aimlessgun wrote:

The number in your character screen is an estimate based on how much damage the average monster of the same level as you will do.

Armor has less damage reduction vs larger hits, and enemies hit harder as you level up.

So when you level up, the damage reduction estimate is updated to reflect the average hit of an enemy of the new level.

Thats all good. But my thoughts are still stand.

Literally you could kill a lvl86 mob (if they were to exist) on lvl76, then on lvl86.

that +10SP you spent has almost zero impact.
As you said, "if they were to exist", it would be a problem.

I'm pretty sure if they were to exist, there would also be new tiers of armor that would give more armor on gear and stats.

All you need to worry about are your stats at 77 (or 79 if rares get +2 lvls?)

After that your stat page doesn't tell the truth against lower mobs.
Last edited by Bowser93 on Feb 20, 2013, 1:10:45 AM
"
aimlessgun wrote:

/thread
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
"
Sikab wrote:
"
aimlessgun wrote:

Thats all good. But my thoughts are still stand.

Literally you could kill a lvl86 mob (if they were to exist) on lvl76, then on lvl86.

that +10SP you spent has almost zero impact.

The information in the stat screen will be displayed for an enemy that's your level no matter what.

In terms of actual game play, lower level enemies will vary from that stat. Same way D2 showed it, as far as I recall.
D2 actually showed an estimated reduction vs the last enemy you targeted/moused over. Same for hit chance.
Guess somebody needs to move himself back tot he mechanics thread and read up again...

Armor Reduction works fine, considering it makes sense that higher lvl mobs -> more damage -> less reduction (part of the current armor formula). When leveling you don't have to worry that the same monsters you have been farming suddenly hit harder. No, it simply means you get measured against equally higher level monsters (if you could find them!).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info