Detailed Atlas Mechanics

Wait, map completion and getting 1% map drop bonus are different eh? Can we tell that on atlas?
So. If u hate some layouts like torture chamber or crematorium, u HAVE NOT TO DO IT. NEVER.
If u presence on the map when the boss dies (even through mistake) - u would unlock it on Atlas. And that map will drop and drop and drop forever. But your beloved map (with the same tier) would drop rarely.
As I see from topic - u can not respec "unlocking". Even with new char.
So be careful and take care with your Atlas. Any move is irreversible.
With all respect to the expansion this is totally bullshit. Sorry.
"
Chris wrote:
For the most part, the map drop system works the same as before. The new rule is that the maps that can drop are from the following groups:

Maps you've previously completed in this league (including on other characters).
Maps that are connected to the one you're playing on the Atlas.
Tier 1 maps.

When a map drops, its tier is entirely unchanged by the choice of which maps you have unlocked so far. Unlocking more maps doesn't change how many of a specific tier you receive (but increases the number of different maps that you see at that tier).

When I saw the first announcment of the Altas I was so hyped and thought we get rid of this "every map drops everywhere" bullsh*t. Now it turns out, that everything stays the same and we'll still see useless low tier maps drop in red maps.

Tier 1's (to start at different locations or with twinks) would be perfectly fine but "Maps you've previously completed" means basically "each map" at some point in the league.

Why not stick to the idea that only connected maps and the map itself can drop in a given map?
Only +1, same tier or -1 whould have been so nice ... :(

P.S.: The first rule for map drops "each map completed can drop" might even cause big problems, because I for myself and maybe a lot of others players will simply avoid completing low tier maps (or at least bad layout) just to remove them from the pool of potentially dropped maps.
If I complete only T12-16 maps I would be absolutely save from T2-T10 maps ever dropping...

Last edited by DerDave on Aug 24, 2016, 5:05:33 AM
So about that guaranteed unique item modifier from a boss kill. Will that item be allocated to the map host? or can someone else in my party cash in on a free unique I spent a cartographer's sextant on.
any news on what happens when I finish a league regarding my standard atlas vs my league atlas? How does it merge, what do I keep? Am I going to feel like a tit for using shapers orbs in leagues because they dont carry over? am I going to feel like a tit for using them in standard where its going to be over written?

Good job on making them account bound btw, the whole thing of then factoring in their trade value into ^^these^^ sort of considerations was looking potentially ugly.

"
Kagari wrote:

Nothing prevent someone to buy a gorge and "force" the drop to be exclusively this map ? Oo
I don't know how the map drop rates work but if the game decide to give you a map from the unlocked pool, if you have nothing under gorge tier you can't get fucked by getting a T1 on a high lvl map ???

That sounds terrible if it's the case. Some people will just wait until a speed map is on the market while doing some dried lake to never ruin their atlas and then "lock" their map drop because they only have the one they want available in their drop pool ???

Some could also make "map farming accounts" where they only target a specific map to fuel their league characters.

"
skepticist wrote:
" You can trade for maps and play them regardless of which ones you've previously completed. If you trade for a map and complete it then it unlocks on your Atlas, even if it's not connected to any other ones. "

Am I missing something? So you just buy maps you like so only they can drop for you afterwards? Seems very abusive. Who needs that laughable 100% map drop bouns for exploring the atlas if you can basically just delete all "bad maps" from the droplist instead.

not quite, all 4 tier 1 maps will still be able to drop in all maps. So if as you guys say u just buy a gorge and run it, ull be able to find the maps connected to gorge and all 4 tier1 maps. I think this means youll just end up with low map drops because u dont have ur 100% more map drops bonus and instead of finding tons of maps between t2 and t10 youre just going to keep finding t1 maps because you havent unlocked the rest of them.

"
Hogaric wrote:
"
However, Shaped versions of that map will now start dropping. Unshaped versions will not drop for you any more.

I don't like this.

I would love to play a couple tier 10+5 maps, but sometimes I just want to chill and play easier maps. For me this means that using the Shaper Orb might lock me out of the easier version of the maps that I like.

I'll probably never use this orb on any of my favorite maps because of this. Please make it so that you can find both versions of the map.

I really hope they dont tbh, I hope they keep it as described and just force people like you to sell the higher versions and buy the lower ones in quantity. If you turned all your t10s into t15s then you just turn your t5s into t10s and play those when you want to play t10s surely?

If you dont want to upgrade then dont upgrade, but it would be bullshit for those of us who want to upgrade if we are then forced to suffer non upgraded map drops.

"
DerDave wrote:

If I complete only T12-16 maps I would be absolutely save from T2-T10 maps dropping...

what would probably happen is that where a t2-10 would previously drop you either get nothing or you get a t1 map, both of which are shit compared to actually getting a t2-10.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
The Shaper's Orb is a non-tradeable consumable

Finally, at long last, they got the balls to step outside of that policy that has been limiting PoE design for so long. They opened the box with the tools to do great things.

word.
I see this way:
U have to decide taking +1% bonus from NOLIFE maps (dungeon, torture. GGG pls delete this crap. thx) VS prevent those map to drop.
But I really think that u have to have a switch. Active / deactive. Possibility to ruin whole account by mistake is ripping me apart, mates.
"
"
Chris wrote:
For the most part, the map drop system works the same as before. The new rule is that the maps that can drop are from the following groups:

Maps you've previously completed in this league (including on other characters).
Maps that are connected to the one you're playing on the Atlas.
Tier 1 maps.

When a map drops, its tier is entirely unchanged by the choice of which maps you have unlocked so far. Unlocking more maps doesn't change how many of a specific tier you receive (but increases the number of different maps that you see at that tier).

Wait what?

"
When a map has been completed, it becomes available to drop in other maps

And, from the video, how is this going to interact with the limitations on what can drop: specifically,
"

OK, firstly "Unlock" can't mean "Complete", because if you can't unlock a map until you complete it, you get nowhere.

SO "unlock" must have a temporary setting for "anything next to what you're in now".

Seems to me this makes it radically HARDER to progress. Think about the situation when you start out, on tier 1.
- You can't get a +2 until you've gone at least two tiers further in
--> the only "upgrades" you can drop are the 1- or 2- tier-higher connections of the specific map you're in now
----> if the map you're in has nothing 1 tier higher next to it... no upgrades there.
--> the only way to move is find a T1 you like next to a T2 and keep grinding until *that specific T2* drops. Then unlock it, and see what's next. Or a T1 next to a T3 and hope the boss (and only the boss :() drops that T3.
------> Only way to get to the Gorge (or whatever) is via connected maps on its specific upgrade path, 1 tier at a time.

No more lucky drops +1, +2 in any order. It's certainly no improvement on even the rather annoying RNG we have now. The difference is that the map upgrade will be specific rather than anything, so it's less random in thta sense, but the chance of an upgrade is no better.
And if you're in an annoying spot with many non-linear maps (Tunnel, Underground Sea, ... Underground River?) there's no way out, no chance of luckily dropping a good but disconnected map elsewhere, unless you've already run it to keep it unlocked, which generally you won't have done because you don't have the connections...
Looking for a mature guild to play with?
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.

I understand this is a role playing game, but I don't think the best role to play should be shopkeeper. - AlteraxPoe
If you can really just buy map X and thus lock drops only to map X (and a handful others you like), then this will defeat the whole purpose of having an Atlas. The whole "progress through Atlas" concept will just fly out of the window.

Especially since the Atlas is account-wide, not character-wide, this could create some serious issues.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 24, 2016, 5:08:25 AM
i start 2 month ago and it was hard to learn allready.
and now everything changed...
Lets see, what we do :)
more detail please as possible.
Thanks
I'd still like to have a non map way to level further
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info