Why people dislike The Vertex so much ?

Disliked because it's the most disappointing Uber Atziri item. Poe.trade is flooded with them. It's pretty niche and fairly crap on CI because the chaos res is wasted. Evasion is generally not a favored form of mitigation. No elemental resistance is a huge negative as well. I have never used it over a Hubris.
Loot Filter -- https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1490867
Filter Parser -- https://github.com/ffhighwind/Path-of-Exile-Filter-Parser
Last edited by ffhighwind on Aug 22, 2016, 9:28:39 AM
Let's break down it's effect:

*+1 to socketed gems
Can be corrupted onto any gloves or boots if you're really desperate for the +1 on a four link. Also +4 Vaal Caress is sexy as f*** (I rocked a pair of these for VMS before the nerf).

*Chaos Resist
Can roll on literally any rare piece out there with the upside that they probably have life/other resist rolls as well.

*Enemies cant leech mana
The most useless roll on The Vertex, I can't remember when or if this was ever an issue?

*50% Reduced Mana
This was IMO the major selling point of The Vertex but the update that made Reduced Mana stop affect Mana Reservation killed this. Very few builds have mana sustain issues, and even then Mana Flasks exist. On top of that it's restricted to local skills only. If this was a global affect I could see this helmet being used more since it'd synergize with Voidbringer nicely but as it stands, no use now.

So basically you have a piece of headgear that has decent stats but that's it. It's hard to choose The Vertex when more specialized things like Heretic's Veil, Rat's Nest, Alpha's Howl, Abyssus, Devoto's Devotion, Crown of Eyes and even regular rare peices are out there. Also any minion based build is better off with a +2 Minion helm.

Personally I feel like GGG needs to update The Vertex to affect skills globally with it's reduced mana cost.
Last edited by Megatyrant on Aug 22, 2016, 9:40:21 AM
@Spanish Monarch: you forgot 700 evasion which is pretty sweet for hybrid ES/evasion builds, rare as they are. There was an ES/Evasion flickestrike trickster (flickster?) guide somewhere from a guy who had a mirror dagger, so he certainly wasn't short on cash, and was using the Vertex.

It may be a bit niche but it isn't as useless as you are making it sound. Also, +1 gems is expensive. There are some things you aren't even thinking about which a lot of players think about. If you're just starting in a league and you can't afford a lvl 3 enlighten to manage your auras, a vertex + lvl 2 enlighten can be a good budget version.

I remember a thread about a player group who was spamming uber and they were giving out free vertexes. Quite a few guys there were extremely happy to get one.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 22, 2016, 9:50:56 AM
Dislike, nah

but im pretty sure the people sulk Vertex because they expect it to work on auras and its not

ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
The 50% reduced mana cost is outstanding for a 4-link lightning warp, which tends to become unsustainable with a lot of builds otherwise. I know whirling blades is all the rage but a 4-link 20/20 lightning warp setup (LW - faster casting - rapid decay - reduced duration) is actually pretty fucking sweet.

If you can sustain the manacost.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 22, 2016, 10:33:52 AM
"
ffhighwind wrote:
Disliked because it's the most disappointing Uber Atziri item. Poe.trade is flooded with them. It's pretty niche and fairly crap on CI because the chaos res is wasted. Evasion is generally not a favored form of mitigation. No elemental resistance is a huge negative as well. I have never used it over a Hubris.

I mean.. just look at the hubris right now..

http://poe.trade/search/akokoreranoaau

The lowest price is sitting at 2.5 EX for only 400 ES.. without ele resist or something.

Who would buy this, instead of vertex ? Since you got the +1 gem for discipline, you got like, 15 flat ES more, so 350 ESish, instead of 400 ? One cost 20C, the other 2EX. Wtf ?
"
SussuKyle wrote:
"
ffhighwind wrote:

I mean.. just look at the hubris right now..

http://poe.trade/search/akokoreranoaau

The lowest price is sitting at 2.5 EX for only 400 ES.. without ele resist or something.

Who would buy this, instead of vertex ? Since you got the +1 gem for discipline, you got like, 15 flat ES more, so 350 ESish, instead of 400 ? One cost 20C, the other 2EX. Wtf ?

Prices aren't determined by the actual usability of an item, they are determined by the supply and demand. Everyone wants to have as much ES as possible and there are only so many 400 ES circlets to go around, so people are willing to pay in exalts. It's a luxury item - if you can't afford it, stay with the Vertex and you'll be fine.
It a useless unique. No resists, no build enabling mods. It might be good in the first week of a league but after the market is flooded with 300+ ES 2-3 res helmets for like 10-15c why bother with vertex? By the time people start farming uber occasionally, the item is useless
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
It a useless unique. No resists, no build enabling mods. It might be good in the first week of a league but after the market is flooded with 300+ ES 2-3 res helmets for like 10-15c why bother with vertex? By the time people start farming uber occasionally, the item is useless

Saves me eight Passives on my ES RF dude. Useless is a relative term.
Vertex is my choice of predilection when i feel cowboy and wanna do a lowlife build without shav
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info