Curse questions

Do curses stack?

I am running Hatred as an aura
I am running warlords mark as an aura under blasphemy.

If I add curse on hit (say punishment) to my leap slam, what happens curse wise? I'm not seeing any indicator of the punishment curse, but I am of the WM.

Can Ice bite support and reduced mana support Hatred?

Can you use reduced mana to support blasphemy

What is the best way to use enfeeble for a cleaving duelist?

Thanks.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2016, 6:26:18 PM
"
Do curses stack?

Two of the same curse cannot stack. Two or more different curses can apply to the same enemy, but only if you have a passive or item that lets you inflict additional curses.

"

If I add curse on hit (say punishment) to my leap slam, what happens curse wise? I'm not seeing any indicator of the punishment curse, but I am of the WM.

Since you don't have any additional curse allowance, only one of them can apply to enemies at once. Blasphemy curses always overwrite curses applied in other ways. Aside from that, the most recently applied one will stick.

"

Ice Bite: No, since Hatred is not freezing or killing anything. You'd have to support the skill you're hitting enemies with.

Reduced Mana: No, auras do not have a mana cost. They have a mana reservation. You need Enlighten to reduce that.

"

Depends on the specifics of your build. Most likely Blasphemy, but CwDT or CoH-Leap Slam are both very reasonable too.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Do curses stack?

Yes, but only with investment. See below.

"
ChanBalam wrote:

This is because, by default, you can only applyone curse to an enemy at a time. When you Leap Slam a critter, the Punishment overrides/overwrites the Blasphemy Warlord's Mark for a split second, but the Blasphemy curse reapplies itself continuously, so you never see Punishment. To get both, you would need to increase your Curse limit with Whispers of Doom or with a +1 Curse piece of gear (or be an Occultist).

"
ChanBalam wrote:

No, but they can support skills which benefit from Hatred, i.e. using Ice Bite on Earthquake while Hatred is up means Ice Bite would function off the added cold damage Hatred Earthquake deals. To reduce Hatred's reservation cost, you need a leveled Enlighten, which is an expensive piece of kit nobody has access to.

"
ChanBalam wrote:

Nope. Same deal as above.

"
ChanBalam wrote:

Blasphemy, probably. It was specifically built for point-blank characters, typically melee. If you're not using the mana reservation room for something else, run BlasFeeble. if you are using the reservation room for other stuff, then you can try a curse-on-hit secondary skill or you can just flat-out hard cast the curse when you need it. Contrary to popular forum belief, curses can be cast without a trigger gem :P

"
ChanBalam wrote:
Thanks.

Ya'welkem.
Great info.

I didn't about curse limits.

So enfeeble vs warlord's mark as an aura with blasphemy: Which is better for what for a melee character?
US Mountain Time Zone
Warlord's is better if you don't have a good way to generate endurance charges, and if you don't have another source of mana or life leech.

As a melee character, though, it is usually pretty easy to get another source for those things. For leech, there are a number of sources on the tree, especially for physical leech, and many uniques too. Rare items even roll that sometimes as well.
So therefore warlord's is (ironically) usually better for spellcasters. But of course it is great for melee who don't otherwise have the leech.

(Warlords also gives increased chance to stun, which is pretty neat but not that reliable).

Enfeeble is really good for every build, and works even better if you have some evasion.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Aug 2, 2016, 2:51:08 AM
I would personally consider the choice to be between Enfeeble and Temp Chains, actually. Both are absurdly strong right now, though Temp Chains is more appropriate for builds that are on the move and make some attempt at kiting.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
I personally value Enfeeble over Temporal Chains in this case; TC really shines with Curse Effect and/or additional Slow, but on it's own? Eh. Slightly slower monsters can still deal dumb amounts of Damage, while Enfeebled monsters have a harder time at that.
All very helpful, thanks. At the moment, my mana needs are forcing me to use WM with blaphemy for the leech, but if I can pick up some more mana, I will try to add enfeeble or another free standing curse. Hatred and blasphemy/WM reduce my mana to less than 100, but the leech keeps me going with my attacks.
US Mountain Time Zone
Duelists have very good access to the best leech nodes in the entire tree, the Spirit Void/Vitality Void cluster. Even just taking on singular 0.4% mana leech node from that cluster would suffice for your mana leeching needs on a mid or high-level Duelist, since it's universal attack leech and benefits from your Hatred/Herald of Ash/whatever-else, as well.

Five nodes gets you 0.8% mana leech and 2% life leech w/increased maximum leech rate. Go from 20% of life per second leech cap to 25% leech cap, which is a very nice jump. Those five nodes will quite honestly completely replace Warlord's Mark insofar as leech goes, so WM would only be useful if you need endurance charges for whatever reason. Five nodes is something of an investment, but they're five really good nodes, especially if you go for Slayer and get Endless Hunger/Brutal Fervor. 35% life per second leeched, immune to both stone and bleed while leeching, leech doesn't end at full life...Headsman really is an amazing node, but the Brutal Fervor branch is no joke either. Hell, go down to Hematophagy and pick up the two leech cap nodes there and you can end up with 43% of maximum life leeched per second cap. That right there is a recipe for immortality (provided I've got my head on straight insofar as how +[X] to maximum leech rate works).

Anyways. Leechy tangent aside, I pretty much concur with VM. Enfeeble is a better by-itself defense than Temporal Chains, which is really amazeballs if supported well but doesn't hold up as nicely as a tossed-on thing. Also works better for melee characters that stand and deliver rather than run around and snipe.
I personally use Windscream on each and every character with the same exact setup.

Level one CWDT with level five versions of Enfeeble and Temporal Chains. This alone lowers enemy DPS by 40%.

The fourth socket can be used for anything, like an Offering spell, to clear up corpses to help deal with enemies and strongboxes that like to use those corpses.

If you have extra room, try plugging in CWDT + Arctic Breath + GMP + Chain. This is a guaranteed 30% slow on all enemies. Combine this with Enfeeble AND Temporal Chains and enemies deal considerably less DPS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info