Town Portals: Good or Bad for ARPGs?

definately... running back and forth seems kind of boring.
"
xyz1721 wrote:
definately... running back and forth seems kind of boring.

agreed, can get very annoying making the same run back and forth
Last I heard from D3 (from the Media release event, the last really large influx of info), portals are back in D3 via 10 second cast time.

I think it's a better solution than WP hopping. PoE has an interesting idea with using them as currency, but it seems like they'll be quite low in value as the game progresses, meaning they can be as abused as much as they are in D2. Already in the beta, we're getting reports that TPs are trivializing boss fights. It'll be interesting to see how GGG handles it.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.
Its the old debate, immersion vs fun. I think a balance is needed. No one wants to take a 10 min run back to town, then 10 min run back to the action. On the other hand I don't want to throw open a instant SAVED from death hole either. We'll see what they do.
I don't really care about the combat aspect, you can leave it or take it out. It's all the same to me. You're not going to be able to level up if you don't stay and fight.

I do care about being able to move quickly through the game world, and I like the idea of having multiple ways to do it. TP's WP's even some type of blink.

I think the game should be looking at ways to increase movement not limit it.

With the regenerating flask system, you're never going to really need to escape back to a town.

Don't mind me, just posting in hopes of a key.
Last edited by qazyman on Aug 28, 2011, 7:22:46 PM
i love tp but maybe they are make bosses to easy. Make Boss Area to No-Tp Areas, for example Merveils Lair. ( Like the Areat Summit in D2 :D)

edit: end the last door too the boss closes when the fight starts and a death player can only rejoin if all are dead, door get open and the boss gets 100% hp :)
Last edited by Apollian on Aug 28, 2011, 7:28:47 PM
"Make Boss Area to No-Tp Areas"

I like that idea = ]
Don't mind me, just posting in hopes of a key.
Last edited by qazyman on Aug 28, 2011, 7:32:13 PM
"
Apollian wrote:
i love tp but maybe they are make bosses to easy. Make Boss Area to No-Tp Areas, for example Merveils Lair. ( Like the Areat Summit in D2 :D)

edit: end the last door too the boss closes when the fight starts and a death player can only rejoin if all are dead, door get open and the boss gets 100% hp :)

I second this. Timesink should not be created by mindless running back and forth, but by challenging encounters that take time to be mastered.
This is just my opinion! But I think that town portals are a nessesary thing to keep the pace of the game up and to allow the gamers to stay in action more without having to go back and find a way point for health potions every 15 minutes.

edit: I also second the post above mine! I think that boss fights SHOULD NOT have town portals! Also I think that in DEFAULT league people should be able to return to the fight by the nearest waypoint because it would be lame if you die and they finish the boss leaving you loot less BUT in cutthroat it should have a door system like as said in above where you cant re enter the battle until either your party is dead or victorious!
Last edited by BullSpray on Aug 28, 2011, 9:11:58 PM
"
TomBombadil wrote:
Last I heard from D3 (from the Media release event, the last really large influx of info), portals are back in D3 via 10 second cast time.

I think it's a better solution than WP hopping. PoE has an interesting idea with using them as currency, but it seems like they'll be quite low in value as the game progresses, meaning they can be as abused as much as they are in D2. Already in the beta, we're getting reports that TPs are trivializing boss fights. It'll be interesting to see how GGG handles it.

I second this
Idea to copy diablo 3 system +1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info