[2.5] Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin - 300k+ dps, 6k+ hp, Low to medium Budget, uber lab viable

This build was made during patch 2.3 with slight updates in 2.4, but i don't see any reason for it not to work in 2.5. Please let me know if anything relevant has changed. Obviously new itemisation options have become available and i will update the guide accordingly, should i find a way to improve the old setup.

Some positive feedback i got - thanks a lot guys:)

"I have to say, I'm absolutely LOVING this build." - Shazrach

"It is 2.4 ready and works like a charm. :D " - Stone__Cold

"First of all, I'd like to thank you for the build! I've been using it for a while now and having lots and lots of fun. It's really great and getting better as I upgrade my gear in the new league which is both fun and satisfying." - PlainLazy

"i just hit 90with this build. wtf its pretty easy. fast clear. 6090hp lol... i only get a 5l and i already destroying all the stuff lol" - alJuce

"Hey ive been following your build and so far i really like it. Wanna say thank you, its the fastest ive ever gotten a character to level 80..." -CQuinn

"I really love the build and playstyle... Definitively one of the fastest map clearer imaginable, and arguably my favorite POE build ever. There's something utterly satisfying about warping all over the place and killing things in a quick succession." -Mortiferius

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Introduction>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's the first time i play Flicker (or any melee build) and i wanted to create my own build. Now at lvl 93 i am quite happy with the result and wanted to share it. I don't know if there are similar setups/passive trees out there, but i would be interested to hear about them - drop me a comment:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gameplay Videos (from 2.3)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

(maybe you'll be wondering why i move the cursor so slowly: the game gets quite laggy when recording a video on my pc...):
T12 Village Ruin - 7 second Boss kill (forgot to activate Blood rage in the second half of the vid):
https://vid.me/4vuC

easy Necropolis with temp chains and extra lightning damage
->https://vid.me/WcgQ

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Build Basics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We use Oro's Sacrifice (see Gear section) because it is a cheap and strong endgame weapon that provides us with infinite Frenzy charges. As an assassin and by means of the Increased Critical Strikes gem, Oro's becomes a crit weapon (9.4% base weapon crit with the gem and 5 power charges). Because of this, we ignite with crits and do not need additional chance to ignite. Damage scaling is done mostly with general Ele/WED damage and crit multi. This means that Heralds and other flat ele damage are good damage sources. We use Heralds instead of the Anger aura, because the Heralds - linked to curse on hit - efficiently spread the assassin's mark curse. For tough Bosses anger can be used instead of the Heralds, so that we get the full benefit from the Fire penetration support gem (Cursing will be done either manually or with a curse on hit - attack like Frenzy in these situations).

Defense

A Kaom's heart is a great chest armour for this build and with it we reach 6k+ life. We run Arctic Armour to counteract the increased damage taken due to the mods on Oro's Sacrifice. Additionally we have Acrobatics/Chance to Dodge and the mobility of Flicker Strike, which can be dangerous, but also often means that we avoid getting hit because by the time an attack would reach us we already teleported to the next enemy. We leech 2% of our damage as life.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gem Links<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Spoiler

Attack

Flicker Strike - Multistrike - Melee Splash - Increased Critical Strikes Support - Weapon Elemental Damage Support - Fire Penetration Support (maybe Crit multi support instead)

in a 5L drop the Fire penetration

Movement
Leap Slam - Faster Attacks Support - Fortify Support - Ancestral Warchief (alternatively you can use Power charge on crit as the last link: It's a good option to generate power charges in hexproof maps and against single bosses)

Heralds & Curse
Herald of Ice - Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit Support - Assassin's Mark

It can be a problem to get enough Int in order to run Herald of Thunder - see passsive tree section.

Utility
Blood Rage - Arctic Armour - Ice Golem - Vaal Grace or Vaal Haste

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Gear>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Spoiler

Please Note that the gear shown here is what i use right now, but in most cases it's not necessary to have exactly these items - i will mention alternative options in each section.

Chestpiece

Kaom's is clearly Best-in-Slot, alternatively or as a stepping stone Belly of the Beast can be used. Other Uniques like Daresso's Defiance aren't bad, but with the current passive tree the build would end up having low-ish hp to be in melee range.

Weapon

Mandatory. For Leveling from 51 to 68, Terminus Est can be used - the damage won't be great, since Terminus is phys based and doesn't synergize well with our passive tree, but it's good enough.

Helm

Rare with Life and res. It's quite important to get Accuracy and Strength on a few pieces of gear, the Helm can help there. Please not that a WED master craft would be better than the Armour/Eva mod shown here.

Gloves

The awesome Southbound gloves! They come with a lot of life, res and ele damage; exactly what we want. What about the drawback you ask? We ignite everything that can be ignited and the burning damage is not a "Hit", so it will still kill enemies... and on top of that we do freeze & shatter most mobs anyway. Also this is the best among our items to get the socket colours needed for the Herald-Curse on hit setup (3b1g).
If you can get a Ele weakness on hit Corruption, that's great - if not: still use them.

[EDIT:] Essences bring new options to the table that weren't available in 2.3: You can now craft or buy Rare gloves with a crit mod. I would consider them almost as good as Southbounds - Look for something like: Life, Crit, Attack speed and/or Resistances and/or Accuracy.

If you can afford it, then Atziri's acuity is a great choice of course; the instant leech makes us a lot safer.

Boots

Windscreams are a good choice if you have the Curse on hit gloves and want to dual curse. The movespeed doesn't really matter because we have Flicker and leap Slam to get around.

If you don't need a second curse, use Darkray Vectors or rare boots... Darkray Vectors with an additonal Frenzy charge corruption would be a pretty strong option.

Belt

Weapon Ele damage, Life, Resistances, Strength... pretty obvious what to look for.

Jewellery

Above you see several examples of Jewellery i use(d) - the amulet needs to be upgraded though:) You'll want Life, Resistances, Weapon Elemental damage, Accuracy, Flat Ele damage (fire if possible). Getting some Intelligence here is important if you are going to use passive tree version 2 - see passive tree section.

[EDIT] Since 2.4, the new Opal rings and Crit explicit crafting essences are available. An Opal ring with WED, Crit, Life etc would mostl likely be better than the old Diamond rings.

One last thing on gear:
Do not underestimate Accuracy!
It's important that you keep your chance to hit in the 90's - the higher, the better. If you wonder why, have a look at the wiki's entry on critical strikes: <<Accuracy measures the chance for an attack to hit. Accuracy-dependent attacks make a second accuracy check to confirm the critical strike. If the check fails only a normal hit is dealt. Thus accuracy can play an important role in quantity of critical strikes.>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Passive Tree<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Jewels>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spoiler
On Jewels you should mainly look for Melee Damage, any ind of Attack speed, Crit Multi/Crit Multi with Two Handed Melee Weapons, and Life.
Besides that, you'll probably want to get some Elemental Resistances, Strength and Intelligence there to make it easier to gear your Char.

Other good mods include:

Fire Damage
Crit chance in all variations: Global/Two Handed Crit chance/Melee Crit/Crit&Accuracy
Increased Accuracy
Chance to Ignite & Ignite Duration

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bandits<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Life-Passive-Power Charge
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Feb 15, 2017, 3:10:11 AM
Last bumped on Aug 9, 2017, 9:34:49 PM
Very nice guide!
Thanks to Tigraugre46 for my beta key!
I will be offline for about two weeks - i will answer any questions you may have when i get back.
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Bringer of rain viable???
i hope you are trolling, kung.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Do you think you could post up stats of your damage?
Hey, I'm lvl 82 and just wanted to drop you a line to say I'm really enjoying your build. Last season I went with Ziggy and his FOTM Voltaxic spark and I enjoy this significantly more. While my survive ability isn't nearly as good, I kill mobs way faster.

I went with Trickster for leveling to grab the free movement skills, but as soon as I get enough regrets I'm going to switch over to Assassin. Have you tried both? Is Assassin that much better? I'm really liking not worrying about mana.

I just picked up Kaom's Heart and it helped a lot. I was REALLY squishy before this and still feel quite fragile after, but I need to focus more on life nodes. I'm currently a little over 4k health with maxed resists.

I tried your Southbound Soldier Gloves but absolutely hated laving 1HP monsters in my wake. I'm currently using Maligaro's Virtuosity Deerskin Gloves and am happy with those, but feel they're not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm only running a 5L as I've not found nearly as much sell-able loot/currency as last season, but I'm still really enjoying this build. I took a few deviations from your skill list which may be my downfall (I grabbed Vaal Pact to help with survive ability and some accuracy nodes). But I'll continue to experiment!

My current stats are:
4,081 health
10,5660 damage no frenzy or power charges
16,140 damage with frenzy and power charges
18,714 damage with freancy/power and ancestral warchief

I've only managed to climb to Tier8 maps so far, and the bosses just melt. I haven't tried Aztiri yet though, as I'm waiting to change my Ascendancy.

I'm sure my choosing Trickster over Assassin severely limits my DPS and I'm looking forward to testing this build as Assassin.

Just wanted to leave a positive review!
UPDATE:

I respecced to Assassin Ascendancy and I picked up a few new pieces of gear. I have to say, I'm absolutely LOVING this build. The only map mod I can't do is ELE reflect, obviously, but everything else seems to be a breeze.

I still feel a little light in the health department, but most of my gear has low life rolls. As I upgrade my gear I should feel a bit tankier.

I still don't like using Southbound gloves. They bring me to about 4,6xx health, but as I said before, I hate leaving 1hp monsters behind. So still using Maligro's at the moment.

Current stats:
4,301 health
12,166 no frenzy or power charge
24,160 damage with frenzy and power charges
28,338 damage with frenzy/power and ancestral warchief

%86.86 critical strike chance
%90 chance to hit
@shazrach:
Hi, i am glad you're enjoying the build. I can imagine that with 4k health, Flicker must be a scary experience sometimes;)

Yeah Assassin is the way to go in the end... regarding southbound gloves: Once your crit chance (and don't forget about accuracy) is high enough to ignite and shatter consistently, you won't even notice the southbounds anymore. Maligaro's are ok i suppose, but if i look at my setup, they wouldn't do much, since my crit is high enough without them - so if you don't want southbounds, then maybe facebreakers would be better because they give more crit multi (Or any ele weakness on hit corrupted gloves obviously). As you see in my videos, the southbound gloves work perfectly, so maybe give them another chance sometimes. The combination of Life and a big chunk of Ele damage (the damage on southbound compares to a lvl 17 or 18 herald of ice) is just too perfect to ignore...

[Edit]: I forgot to mention that Atziri can be tricky with Flicker because she can't be ignited and because hitting the mirror clone would kill us. When facing atziri herself you probably have to switch out some gems, f.e. cyclone instead of Flicker, and other supports instead of Multistrike and Melee splash. If you know the fight well, then it still should be more or less easy since Oro's just has a ton of damage.

@Kungfuanthony:
BoR might actually work - but a Kaom's is still better in the end.
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Aug 17, 2016, 10:18:21 AM
@claustrophobic: I checked the damage now.

with charges but no warchief/atziri flask etc i am sitting at

26373 damage ("per use") with 8.47 attacks per second
which would mean 223379 DPS

with Warchief
30926 * 8.47 = 261943DPS

so roughly 300k are possible with atziri flask and other shenanigans. Also the damage increase from two curses and fire penetration is not included in these numbers... the tooltip damage means, as so often in poe, not too much:)
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Jul 21, 2016, 5:54:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info