BREXIT!

"
raics wrote:
Congratulations, the union is a stone around the collective necks of the entire old continent, it will probably be pretty gnarly for a time once it starts to fall apart but I think it we'd be better off in the long run.

It isn't something that can function like the US, we're too different, too old so we bring too much baggage with us into the union. US was a kindergarden class that grew up together into what it is today, assembling a workgroup from a bunch of oldtimers each with their own set of different beliefs and small, nasty habits is much harder. And probably not worth the effort in the first place.

I tend to agree. I also find it staggering how anyone could think gathering a bunch of countries with radically different economies and fiscal policies and forcing the same currency and blanket bureaucratic requirements on them could be a good idea.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 24, 2016, 5:34:39 AM
Congrats on leaving this Germany-France run bureocratic dictatorship!!
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
ladish wrote:
in terms of good decisions recorded over the course of history.. this isn't one.

I agree. And as someone mentioned, such a slim majority for such a major change... it doesn't seem right.

According to polling, something like 78% of people in their 20s voted to remain, and a similar chunk of old people voted to leave. It's like someone chucking a grenade into a crowd on their way to the retirement home.

Who gives a shit about the smoking hole in the ground, I wanna watch Matlock!
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
"
ladish wrote:
in terms of good decisions recorded over the course of history.. this isn't one.

I agree. And as someone mentioned, such a slim majority for such a major change... it doesn't seem right.

According to polling, something like 78% of people in their 20s voted to remain, and a similar chunk of old people voted to leave. It's like someone chucking a grenade into a crowd on their way to the retirement home.

And why do you automatically presume the 20s crowd knows better than their elders? I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. There's this pervasive trend in the modern world to think lightly of old people's opinions, as if no longer being part of the consumer-driven machine makes their opinion worthless, which I find disconcerting. Old people were called elders and their opinion was respected and valued above everyone else's throughout 99.99% of human history.

There's a good reason for that. They've lived through a lot. They've seen shit. I think the opinion of someone with three quarters of a century worth of experience should be listened to and always taken into consideration instead of pointed out as an argument for the other side.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 24, 2016, 5:43:57 AM
"
Antnee wrote:
According to polling, something like 78% of people in their 20s voted to remain, and a similar chunk of old people voted to leave.

Well, that only reinforces the decision, there's a reason kids can't vote and village councils were traditionally a circle of well aged men (yes, there's a reason besides having an excuse not to whack them over the head with a mallet once they start to lag in field work). If you ask me, all legal age requirements should move further up, people live longer and mature more slowly these days.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Contrants on Britain for to choosing to be even more dependent on the U.S.

It is not like i like the EU, but things are not as simple as they seem.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Bars wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:
"
ladish wrote:

And why do you automatically presume the 20s crowd knows better than their elders?

I didn't imply that, but it's not their future they voted on. That is my point.

But you know, let's go there. Why do elderly people know better than people in their 20s? At least in the US, the elderly* vote in droves for completely asinine shit, based solely on sentiments such as:

This is the way it always was!
The cold war never ended!
I'm afraid!
No chance I'll be doing the fighting, better vote for every fucking war hawk in sight!
Religionnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
Universal health care? Fuck you, pay for yourself. Don't touch my medicare though.

...I could go on. As you age, you're more likely to vote conservatively, which fucks young people. While you're young, you're more likely to vote liberally, which helps old people. Seems like a one-way street sign you've put on your pedestal there.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
I'm not saying being old automatically makes your opinion more relevant. I'm simply protesting against the many implications I've seen that it makes it irrelevant, so I gave some counter-arguments. Objectively speaking, age shouldn't even be brought up as an argument. An opinion either has merits or it doesn't - age should have nothing to do with it.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 24, 2016, 6:29:38 AM
"
Antnee wrote:
...I could go on. As you age, you're more likely to vote conservatively, which fucks young people. While you're young, you're more likely to vote liberally, which helps old people. Seems like a one-way street sign you've put on your pedestal there.

That's based on the assumption that young people know what's good for them, and if that were so we wouldn't need abortion clinics... or dentists :)

Some decisions should be made with cool heads, the elderly have less at stake so they are less likely to let passion affect their thinking, yes, yes, provided they're still able to think in the first place which is why there should be an upper limit too. Major decisions should probably be made by citizens aged 40-60, that's when you have enough experience to make the right choice and are still in the possession of your faculties. Anyway, it's kinda funny the way 'elderly' means 'doddering old fool' in the west more often than not.

Which was kinda my point in the previous posts, Bars and I seem to have a more eastern influenced way of thinking here, those differences are more fundamental than they appear.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Ballsy. You got spunk kid.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info