[2.6 / 3.0] BLADE VORTEX OBLITERATION

"
Chaavy wrote:

thank you for ur quick replies. So you think this build will still have its awesome clear speed and how much slower are we looking at if double dipping is nerfed significantly? like a lot? would recommend this as a league starter for next league like are you planning to continue updating this build or like maybe move on to another one? thanks!

Yea, clear speed should remain untouched as far as we know. I cannot tell you right now how bad the nerf for single target gonna be, and I won't even be able to test it in the Beta, but maybe someone else gonna have to chance to try it before the 3.0 release.
It's a good league starter like it's always been in my opinion.
I'll try to keep it updated, but probably I'm gonna need some time to test different things and everything, also considering IRL stuff.

"
superkegs wrote:
1. Which do you think would be better for chest?

5L Covenant w/ 20/20 Void Mani
Tabula w/ 20/20 Void Mani and 20/20 Added Chaos Gem?

I would definitely prefer the tabula, the difference in damage given by a 20/20 Added Chaos is huge.

"
superkegs wrote:
2. I also saw you mention taking unwavering stance later on, I have Kaoms boots, but I'm not sure if I lose out on too much from skipping rare boots. I don't have a hidden potential, so my rings/neck/gloves/belt will probably be my only resist slots.

Having Unwavering Stance is cool, but I would never sacrifice the 30% move speed a pair of rare boots can give you. If you have to chance to buy/craft them, I'd use a pair of boots with the enchant "80% chance of avoid being stunned if you killed recently".

"
superkegs wrote:
3. Is it worth running dual curse w/o Cospri? i.e. Witchfire to curse offensively while clearing, and then another curse (enfeeble or something) on CWDT to overwrite Vuln automatically to boost survivability? Or would it be better just to run 0 curse in links and just run with Witch alone.

Without Cospri I wouldn't reserve any mana, while using MoM as a defensive option (and a Clear Mind jewel if you want). You can use your Witchfire to curse and potentially include a curse in your CWDT setup (if you have the open links available).

"
superkegs wrote:
4. If I'm res capped, is there any other downside to playing with Mings? Or is it just not really worth it outside the specific maps you mentioned (for Chaos res)?

Well.. the drawback of Ming's Heart is the 10% reduced life, which can lead you to some otherwise avoidable deaths. Generally speaking I do not believe it is never worth using, since you have already plenty of damage once you reach a certain level of gear.
But if you find yourself lacking damage in the very lategame (it could happen, considering you are using neither Cospri nor the hidden potential route), you can give it a try for sure.
Abyssal Volatile Poet: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2057243
MagicBlaster Deadeye: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2115343
Fortifier Aurabot: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2084465
"
lallalaus wrote:
"
Chaavy wrote:

thank you for ur quick replies. So you think this build will still have its awesome clear speed and how much slower are we looking at if double dipping is nerfed significantly? like a lot? would recommend this as a league starter for next league like are you planning to continue updating this build or like maybe move on to another one? thanks!

Yea, clear speed should remain untouched as far as we know. I cannot tell you right now how bad the nerf for single target gonna be, and I won't even be able to test it in the Beta, but maybe someone else gonna have to chance to try it before the 3.0 release.
It's a good league starter like it's always been in my opinion.
I'll try to keep it updated, but probably I'm gonna need some time to test different things and everything, also considering IRL stuff.

"
superkegs wrote:
1. Which do you think would be better for chest?

5L Covenant w/ 20/20 Void Mani
Tabula w/ 20/20 Void Mani and 20/20 Added Chaos Gem?

I would definitely prefer the tabula, the difference in damage given by a 20/20 Added Chaos is huge.

"
superkegs wrote:
2. I also saw you mention taking unwavering stance later on, I have Kaoms boots, but I'm not sure if I lose out on too much from skipping rare boots. I don't have a hidden potential, so my rings/neck/gloves/belt will probably be my only resist slots.

Having Unwavering Stance is cool, but I would never sacrifice the 30% move speed a pair of rare boots can give you. If you have to chance to buy/craft them, I'd use a pair of boots with the enchant "80% chance of avoid being stunned if you killed recently".

"
superkegs wrote:
3. Is it worth running dual curse w/o Cospri? i.e. Witchfire to curse offensively while clearing, and then another curse (enfeeble or something) on CWDT to overwrite Vuln automatically to boost survivability? Or would it be better just to run 0 curse in links and just run with Witch alone.

Without Cospri I wouldn't reserve any mana, while using MoM as a defensive option (and a Clear Mind jewel if you want). You can use your Witchfire to curse and potentially include a curse in your CWDT setup (if you have the open links available).

"
superkegs wrote:
4. If I'm res capped, is there any other downside to playing with Mings? Or is it just not really worth it outside the specific maps you mentioned (for Chaos res)?

Well.. the drawback of Ming's Heart is the 10% reduced life, which can lead you to some otherwise avoidable deaths. Generally speaking I do not believe it is never worth using, since you have already plenty of damage once you reach a certain level of gear.
But if you find yourself lacking damage in the very lategame (it could happen, considering you are using neither Cospri nor the hidden potential route), you can give it a try for sure.

Thanks for responding to everything!

I'll stick with Tabula then, and keep trying to chance Cospris. Also will just run with Witchfire, and i'll play with the CWDT, probably temp chains and see how it goes.
Is there any future development of the build in 3.0
"
Lam000z wrote:
Is there any future development of the build in 3.0

As I answered few posts above, I won't play in the beta.
When 3.0 will come out, I'll try to update the guide, test different stuff and see how things changed and their impact on this build.
Abyssal Volatile Poet: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2057243
MagicBlaster Deadeye: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2115343
Fortifier Aurabot: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2084465
Last edited by KaioNS on Jun 14, 2017, 4:21:27 PM
First of all thank you for this build, it was helloads of fun in legacy. Made that char at a time where currency for a build like this diddn't matter much, so it was a blast from the start on. Had really massive fun.

I liked it that much that I wanted to give it a try on BETA. Well, as it is withozt workbenches and a shitload of problems with poison dps.

I just wanted to give you a short view on what I noticed so far and what I did while trying to make it work again. Following info have been posted on a poison discussion in beta forums as well. Hopefully there will be tweaks/ fixes:

- Leveling with poison was impossible.

- After trying decay at least the trash went well. Bosses were still slow.

- At level 68 I switched the tree to more chaos and those 'juicey' pure poison damage nodes (70% at the right side of the tree and all surroundings). I am not "all in" on the tree but nearly. No crit though as that doens't fit in my pov.

- Playing on a Tabula 6 link with all poisin/ailment support gems.
- Hidden Potential to boost damage increase of both, the poison and direct damage. Felt so great before, feels lousy actually. Using only 4 blues actually due to missing dex.

- Still Trying to at least 5-link a cospris, but wasn't lucky so far.

Under the line it is frustrating. After switching from direct dam + decay to poison:

- Trash takes longer to generate those yummi purple explosions
- killing bosses is practically the same, still ugly. And we aren't talking about anything special, maps till tier 7 or so.

The loss of Hitpoints as I respecced to poison nodes means more (nearly) one-shots.
Doesn't feel as good as before. Would beed to level 10 more levels to feel better I guess. Won't do that though as I feel done with my tries to get the char going.

Will wait what 3.0 brings, probably it just needs a fix for BV. As I understood it doenst work too well with poison actually in terms that BV doesnt stack poison to an enemy but not too sure about that...
One thing i noticed about your build is that you can simply path up to the curse nodes and down through the hp nodes, instead of getting the spell node occultist's domination

Overall you loose 10intell, 16% spell dam, 4% cast speed but now gain access to the curse nodes, so for only 3 points (4 if taking curse effectiveness) you can pick up Whispers of Doom (+1 curse). 4 points difference for +1 curse + 10% curse effectiveness and losing 10intell, 16% spell dam, 4% cast speed seems worth it to me.

That's a nice alternative if you can't get the +1 curse ammy and want to tri curse, will be running this build with that change in 2 week mayhem. Hopefully with hidden potential but that depends on the availability of the jewel, not sure how rare/expensive it is because most of my currency will go into 6L cospri's.

Also thoughts on this build for 3.0

3 variants
- initial hit
This focuses on the hit and ignores all DoT damage (decay/poison). Pretty much no differences to current build for clearing trash. For bosses, just take out your poison setup and see how long it takes to kill them.

- initial hit with some decay/poison scaling
No idea how well a build like this will function. Clearspeed shouldn't be any worse than initial hit focusing, probably just a few gem changes, and single target should be better with a wither totem over the first build. This might be the best variant (decay gem on BV setup as 6th link, poison through cospri's) assuming the wither totem can scale the chaos DoT up to respectable levels.

- full DoT
Reduces initial hit damage and focuses on poison entirely. Uses decay for clearspeed and poison for single target. Builds like this are very questionable right now. You can't go berserker with this setup as it reduces initial hit damage and focuses on scaling DoT, cant leech off DoT. However if the initial hit damage is still at a decent level, yeah berserker is usable with 100% leech. The 2% mana/life leech would feel horrible though. Need mana regen or heavy usages of flasks. You'd pick up chaos damage and DoT nodes. Area/spell damage does not scale decay/poison. Witchfire flask becomes extremely powerful, including the vulnerability aura, it gives more than double dps. I think lowlife occultist would be ideal for this setup and stack es regen% (pain attunment doesnt scale poison/decay but going LL allows for more auras and CI no longer has 15% more ES attached to it... no reason to ever go CI if you have the money for shavs, ever) Though the spell damage could help with clearing trash mobs.

DoT poison/decay builds are just too experimental and not explored enough right now to come to any conclusions. If going into 3.0 with berserker BV I'd probably just go with your normal setup, possibly just swap out cospri's for carcass jack or something else as poison is pretty bad right now. And without chaos/DoT nodes in tree, decay isn't too useful. So pretty much your standard build without poison. Atleast untill poison is explored further and people find a use for it, but keep in mind that poison will do maybe 1/50th of the damage it used to do with the exact same setup. That isn't an exaggeration, you can throw your current build into PoB and see the dps change of poison.

I'm having a play with this in the 2 week mayhem event (Which will only be < 1 week for me as away for a week on friday!).
Only just getting going, couldn't play much at weekend either, just hit level 56 and equipped my obliterations. Still need to get ascendancy which should help my survivability a bit.

Was planning on just using a rare chest or a tabula, but I found a Covenant (And then another one!).
Going to have a play with that, quite liking it atm even as a 4l. Not worrying at all about mana is nice - frees up a flask slot too.
Guess it tails off in comparison to using a 'real' added chaos when levelled though.

But thinking could go with a single blasphemy + witchfire and have enough mana unreserved for MoM to be worth it, and always be able to cast.
Could play and see if a dual apep's on swap is worth it too as no worries about mana costs.

Will probably go back to a cospri if/when I make any currency/find one though.

Managed to 6l my covenant before hitting any 5ls so guess I'm stuck with it for a bit!
Not sure on optimum links, got 3b3g now so BV-CD-Echo-inc aoe- poison - void manip

Good for now until I get ascendancy points and can start one shotting packs but then I guess I will drop Inc aoe. Maybe for Inc duration or iron will if can get strength on gear.
Virtually no cast speed atm though so getting 20 stacks with conc effect in for echo might be tricky. Will try and get a bit on amulet/jewels. All my gear apart from chest is basically garbage atm.

But a drawback with covenant/blood magic. 6l mana costs aren't trivial, if I'm not leaching (eg stacking blades for a boss) it's a big life hit and will be much worse with vaal pact. Going to have to run an extra life flask, which kind of defeats one of the advantages.
Played this build with great pleasure in 2Week challenge league. Went for skin of the loyal and pwned all the breach bosses. Thanks for the build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info