[2.6] The Curse Whisperer - Tri-Curse CI Whispering Ice Elementalist - Viable for Everything

Seeing as SR+CwC seems good enough, will you be making another guide about that build? Update this one? I'm not sure if I should switch now or when you make/update a guide (if you do) :P.
"
dandan88 wrote:
https://youtu.be/OmBnxzzvvEs

rip me, wasn't leeching at the time and just skimmed those 3 lightning balls that hit the tree...

Aww :( Judging by how fast you went down, your lightning res wasn't maxed?

There is also this idiotic issue with the monster's name bar overlapping and hiding the buff area. You probably got shocked and couldn't even see it behind Esh's name. I've posted feedback to GGG about it a couple times over the last year but they don't see to care.

"
Levirael wrote:
Seeing as SR+CwC seems good enough, will you be making another guide about that build? Update this one? I'm not sure if I should switch now or when you make/update a guide (if you do) :P.

I'll update the guide after I test it with my Witch and make sure I'm not missing anything. The new Berserker version already includes SR-CwC, you can use it as a template.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Dec 28, 2016, 5:31:42 PM
A new choice: Berserker switches to CI at lv 39, not 33, because:
1. Marauder pathing is longer.
2. Most of the gems used by the build are not available to Marauder and have to be bought.
3. CwC requires lv 38.
4. Lv 38 is just one away from 39 where you can use Icetomb: dirt cheap body armor great for leveling.
The latter two reasons are common for all 4 versions of the build.

So I wonder if all versions should follow suit? Normal Dominus is not exactly hard with the pre-WI skills used to get to 33 by different classes (Freezing Pulse, Lightning Tendrils, Flame Totem, Sunder). Then you can level to 39 in the Lake easily and buy CwC from somebody else or kill Kaom and Daresso with Freezing Pulse too to get CwC yourself.

So it's pretty much about Daresso. Is Normal Daresso too hard without Icestorm to warrant switching to CI+WI and using different gems for just 6 levels that probably take 1 hr total, if that? Or should we just switch after Daresso and don't worry about those 6 levels?

Thoughts?
"
Kelvynn wrote:

You stuff is adequate, although you should definitely find an amulet with more Int. And you took the 4th damage node at Snowforged that you don't need.

My guess is that you are getting frozen in Tul breaches, or don't get away from the static lightning balls in Esh breaches, or just get bled to death by the breach trash that uses Puncture. I don't see any anti-freeze, anti-shock or anti-bleed on your flasks. You really should have at least an anti-bleed flask with you always. Elemental statuses are not a problem while leveling normally, but the Breaches are special for this league. I'm not going to include a league-specific mechanic into the guide, you have to notice what kills you and deal with it.

Thank you man for your answer, you are absolutely right! I got better amulet and it goes better ).

What do you think about these boots ? I just got them
, they don't have int but boost ES so much! or int on shevrone's is better for all that ? and I should sell them )
Last edited by old_nihilist on Dec 28, 2016, 6:11:33 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
dandan88 wrote:
https://youtu.be/OmBnxzzvvEs

rip me, wasn't leeching at the time and just skimmed those 3 lightning balls that hit the tree...

Aww :( Judging by how fast you went down, your lightning res wasn't maxed?

Had max and topaz flask up once I started taking dmg... he just stacked up three of those balls against the tree and they rekt me.
"
Kelvynn wrote:
A new choice: Berserker switches to CI at lv 39, not 33, because:
1. Marauder pathing is longer.
2. Most of the gems used by the build are not available to Marauder and have to be bought.
3. CwC requires lv 38.
4. Lv 38 is just one away from 39 where you can use Icetomb: dirt cheap body armor great for leveling.
The latter two reasons are common for all 4 versions of the build.

So I wonder if all versions should follow suit? Normal Dominus is not exactly hard with the pre-WI skills used to get to 33 by different classes (Freezing Pulse, Lightning Tendrils, Flame Totem, Sunder). Then you can level to 39 in the Lake easily and buy CwC from somebody else or kill Kaom and Daresso with Freezing Pulse too to get CwC yourself.

So it's pretty much about Daresso. Is Normal Daresso too hard without Icestorm to warrant switching to CI+WI and using different gems for just 6 levels that probably take 1 hr total, if that? Or should we just switch after Daresso and don't worry about those 6 levels?

Thoughts?

tbh I never cared about your recommendation to go CI at lvl 33 anyway. what I did was to take 4 life nodes (as elementalist, I take 'cruel preparation' and 'discipline and training'), then move over to ghost reaver relatively quickly and play as hybrid all the way to act3 merciless. only when I can start wearing lvl 59 ES chests do I switch to CI. worked flawless for me, both in sc and hc. the four passives spent in life nodes are exactly the four nodes we need for the CI switch whenever we decide to go through with it.

so imho I'd just stay non-CI hybrid until (at the very least) lvl 39, but start using WI at lvl 33 nonetheless. due to the off-character gems and the very slow pathing at the start, I would generally not recommend berserker WI as the very first char in a hardcore league. for softcore, its really "whatever, who cares". ;)

----------

about the cwc calculations: since berserker gets very little cast speed by default, I believe that cwc is the way to go for berserker. that, however, means that the free and permanent mana leech of his ascendancy loses some of its appeal.

the base calculations for cwc are as follows: we replace spell echo (a 10% less multiplier) with cwc (a 10% more multiplier) and replace our weakest damage support with scorching ray. so this amounts to 1.1/0.9 = 1.2222 or the equivalent of a 22% more multiplier, minus whatever we lose by the damage support that makes place for SR. on berserker, we can only achieve some 0.37s (standard tree) to 0.35s (slight investment into cast speed nodes) cast time. hence, the 0.35s intervals of cwc are at least as good as selfcast in this respect. so assuming that controlled destruction is the weakest damage support, this leaves the cwc berserker with 1.22/1.45 = 0.84 or the equivalent of a 16% less damage multiplier against trash. the damage from scorching ray itself plus the additional penetration it offers should, however, more than make up for those 16% lost when it comes to rares or bosses. nonetheless, I think that even on berserker, SR + CWC is not that far above selfcast.

on elementalist, we get more cast speed from the ascendancy, so that the 0.35s interval of cwc is rather a slowdown than an upgrade. the same argument also holds for the inquisitor version of the build. moreover, the elementalist version has higher fire penetration by default, which reduces the worth of SR's additional resist reduction. therefore, I 'm very convinced that selfcast is superior to cwc for elementalist. in my main mapping setup, I'm at a cast time of 0.32s, which is equivalent to a 9.3% more multiplier.
Spoiler
(1/0.32) / (1/0.35) = 0.35/0.32 = 1.093.

when I pop vaal haste, my cast time is at 0.27s, which is equivalent to a 29.6% more multiplier over cwc's 0.35s cast rate.

Last edited by Black_Gun on Dec 28, 2016, 6:36:09 PM
Those are nice numbers i checked my SR/Cwc tooltip and

my cwc level 22 casts at 0.34 and SR casts at 0.32.

What we must know is : How much dmg is rly doing scorching ray alone ?
My tooltip shows 6.5k with 2 golems and 7.4k pendulum.

With 8 stacks SR that's 240% additinal damages so : 7+7x2.4=23.8
That means SR is doing a 24k dps and stacks 3 debuff per second.

Do we have an idea of the Icestorm self cast dps on single target ?
Last edited by djellabah on Dec 28, 2016, 7:36:34 PM
"
djellabah wrote:

Do we have an idea of the Icestorm self cast dps on single target ?

when facetanking a boss with sufficient life to stack the maximum amount of icestorms that our castspeed allows for, its in the millions... so even with bad gear and less than ideal circumstances, icestorms single target will be in the middle six digits. hence, those ~24k from SR are nothing but a nuance.
Oh right ok so there is 0 way SR+Cwc can do better in those conditions. (we' re alinkg about 15 ice storm stacking)

What is fair too say is that Scorching ray really helps a lot, even if it does a "1 stack ice storm damage" it is enough to clean most maps.

I wouldn' t say self cast is superior, my char feels really polished and hopefully i'll kill shaper soon.
"
old_nihilist wrote:
What do you think about these boots ? I just got them
, they don't have int but boost ES so much! or int on shevrone's is better for all that ? and I should sell them )

No Int. Sell them. 18-20c in Breach right now. Shav boots are BiS for leveling to 70 until you get real endgame boots.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info