Path of Exile Speedrun

"
Actkqk wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I dont do it but races, start of new ladder, it s all here already. Sometimes I wonder if ppl making threads play this game.

I sometimes wonder if people who think they know what he's talking really knows what he's talking...

Apparently nobody in this topic knows the implications of a speed-run. People usually struggle to come to the maps avoiding some unnecessary quest and bosses. The OP speaks of doing everything without avoiding anything. I have not seen this in PoE...

You've watched everyone play? Fascinating. Got any comments on my play, any advice?

And yes I know exactly what he is talking about. I've watched speedruns for many games on Youtube. But the entire concept is patently ridiculous in this game because their is no such thing as 'the whole game'. Whatever the OP decides is going to be their own made up concept. And with actual racing built in covering a whole plethora of different made up goals it's downright silly to consider the OP's target goal to be anything new.

If you want to race, then race in the next season. If you want to see the fastest completion of all quests required to get to end game, then just was any of the usual suspects who stream the start of a new season.
I would argue a true speedrun would be going from 1 to 100 without dying. Happens each time new leagues start, it took people about 2 weeks in the last two temp leagues and less in the flashback leagues. Havoc actually did it in 84 hours of playtime in the two-week flashback but it was under specific conditions - using an incredibly strong build and having quite a lot of gear.

The problem is, the game is centered around an economy and trading. If you play solo self-found, it's much slower and luck is an important factor.

As for a speedrun for all quests in the normal progression, knock yourself out if you want to try it. No one is doing it because it's a bit pointless.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 2, 2016, 4:41:00 AM
"
Qiox wrote:
Whatever the OP decides is going to be their own made up concept.

PoE certainly has a stupid number of plausible categories, but credit-roll is a decent target for an "any%". It could be further segmented by starting class, but that seems unnecessary. For timing, it would be a PC-standard "RTA without loads" -- start from waking up on the beach to final hit on Malachai.

---

PoE Races (and early ladder play) are effectively score-based (twin galaxies style), not time-based, though many of the Race strats will still apply. The biggest difference is that, being time-based, you only need to level up/gear up enough to beat the bosses. If you can do that at L10 and be underleveled the whole time, that's just gravy. You don't need to save any currency, you don't need to plan ahead for cruel/merc, you just need to hit the finish line ASAP.

Another interesting facet is NG+ categories (i.e. allowing Stash usage). Having all the gear ahead of time means that there's no gear RNG and places a lot more importance on pre-run planning.

The one intense problem with PoE Speedrunning is that the game has been continuously patched since inception and there's no way to play on older versions. As a result, every patch is potentially throwing out all old runs and starting fresh. That much churn would likely burn out any participants.

---

Anyway, if anyone does do PoE Speedrunning, it would be interesting to watch.

I've been into speedrunning since Morimoto's SMB3 TAS way back in 2003. There's something very fulfilling about pursuing perfection (TAS or otherwise).
"
Bars wrote:
I would argue a true speedrun would be going from 1 to 100 without dying. Happens each time new leagues start, it took people about 2 weeks in the last two temp leagues and less in the flashback leagues. Havoc actually did it in 84 hours of playtime in the two-week flashback but it was under specific conditions - using an incredibly strong build and having quite a lot of gear.

The problem is, the game is centered around an economy and trading. If you play solo self-found, it's much slower and luck is an important factor.

As for a speedrun for all quests in the normal progression, knock yourself out if you want to try it. No one is doing it because it's a bit pointless.

??

While I agree with you on the quest part, side quests aren't even mandatory for progress, lvl1-100 isn't in any form speed running.

lvl1-merc mala is speed running since it's the last boss, you never watch d2 speed runners go for 100
"Zazan":
*Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.
*Fixed a bug where people logged in to play
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Qiox wrote:
Whatever the OP decides is going to be their own made up concept.

PoE certainly has a stupid number of plausible categories, but credit-roll is a decent target for an "any%". It could be further segmented by starting class, but that seems unnecessary. For timing, it would be a PC-standard "RTA without loads" -- start from waking up on the beach to final hit on Malachai.

And that was already done when Act 4 was put in the game. First to kill Malachai in Merc difficulty in the new leagues, Standard and HC version, won a new computer.

So yes, the race the OP is asking for already took place.
IM ALL IN.

but i would like do more %

like Any % (go as sfast as possible to last difficulty Act 4 boss down)
and 100 % (all quest, all difficulty... )

the rest is hard to know where to look for.

Knowing someone have finish act 1-4 in all difficulty is easy
knowing if someone have done all quest is also easy

reste is trivial and hard to know.

Where i sign !!!

I have watch speedgame since 2003 +- (via youtube and else)
And im alway looking for a speedrun to do myself. planning and knowing boss + strat + glitch + skill is WHAT im looking in a speedrun and... well POE have it :D

P.S. if it's a speed game, we can't could the race. since some can have coop play and kinda destroy the **solo** okay of speedrun !
Last edited by Daakutenshi on Jun 2, 2016, 1:58:04 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 8:00:15 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
Coal48 wrote:

It's NOT a race, a race is a competition between players, a speedrun is doing something the fastest possible under certain conditions, there's a difference

Come on you're reaaaaaalllllllyy streeeetchhiinnnggg now. A speedrun is doing something the fastest possible under certain conditions...the fastest possible compared to what your imaginary friend? Or compared to other players attempting the same thing? You might even say a speedrun was a competition between players racing for the fastest time with a fresh start under identical conditions...you know a race.

Just admit you didn't know this game did races, and maybe check out some of the top racers since that's exactly what you're looking for.

the difference here it's easy to understand.

On race : You are running again other runner on a SET TIME
on a soeedrun : Even if you run for like 1 years and improve your time, you still can win.

Race have a start and end while speedrun can be start anytime, anywhere on any difficulty (if we take STD and HC, since they aren't chaging so much.

I don't want to speedrun on race. Hell i unfortunatly have school, summer job and what so ever. But when i have free time, i like to say **hey i have a week off, let's start working on our speedrun**

So they is a fondamental difference here. One is the TIME FACTOR !

we could argue that, on temp league we need to redo the run since... well new set of rules and im ok with that.

but i would gladly set some rules and have a leaderboard of any short for that !

I would love to see a group of people, recording run and set rules to know who can do the best.

And i would see the same on temp league. but Race is a other deal
We don't need PoE specific speed runs since at the start of every ladder, or any race that last more than a couple of hours have people speeding through the entire game in an extremely short time period anyway.

INHERENTLY anyone competitive wants to speed run through the game as fast as possible to get the largest advantage as early in the league.

Find the fastest clear of the game and beat that, that would be the speed running record. We don't need a magical competition to find the fastest speed runner since everybody does that and rushes to map every ladder/race/1 month league anyway.

If you're expecting the game to be broken up to segments, with players breaking up every single action into steps that are done over and over again until the perfect time. I'm sorry to say but PoE is heavily RNG based with shit changing every patch as well as you cannot pause/save/ect in this game.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jun 2, 2016, 2:40:19 PM
Racers can get to maps in 2-3 hours?

No.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info