Making Currency in Softcore

I've been playing POE for almost 2 years now, and I've still not learned a good way to make currency. I've tried flipping drillnecks, running high tier maps, chaos recipes, and even playing in hardcore. None of the ways have worked out all that well, mainly playing in hardcore. My computer isn't very good and when I'm leveling I tend to die from frame drops and not being able to react in time because of it. I've even tried running atziri, but with terrible frames and the lack of currency to make a better build for it, I've not found much success.

What I'm trying to get at is: Is there a way to make currency that would be possible for someone who can't play in hardcore, or do atziri?

I know that a lot of people have secret ways of getting currency and certain items to flip and that they want to keep them a secret so that they can continue doing it that way, but if you're willing to give some tips and pointers to me then I will be truly grateful.

If you don't want to have your secret ways of making currency be out in the open, but you're willing to share them with me, I'll keep those ways to myself and not make them public.

-Thank you for your feedback and time.
Last edited by flier66666 on May 19, 2016, 9:00:05 PM
Last bumped on Dec 23, 2016, 8:23:59 AM
I mean... how much currency are you talking about? It sounds like a hell of a lot.

We'll have to see how prices change in a non-Perandus world, but to get something like 20ex and almost completely top-end the gear for a build is attainable solely by playing to L90+, doing chaos recipes, and selling most of everything you find.

Most builds can be decked out in like 1ex and handle red maps, at which point the amount of irl time you have to even play the build becomes the limiting factor.

If you're talking about mirror-gear or owning every rare item in the league, then you absolutely have to do something truly special. Looking to the past, we have examples like:
- Aggressively trade-targeting new players with private index crawlers
- Hiding a powerful crafting recipe (20/0+gcp -> 1/20)
- Hiding a powerful crafting technique (scouring meta mods)
- Having a good idea about new challenges and maximizing its output (Lab runs for enchants)
- Having a good idea about new meta and cornering set pieces (like Voltaxics)
- Abusing crashes for rollbacks for infinite currency usage (WARNING: WILL GET YOU BANNED)
Last edited by pneuma on May 19, 2016, 10:17:12 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
I mean... how much currency are you talking about? It sounds like a hell of a lot.

Also wondering. I don't have a lot of wealth but I also don't really struggle for items with what I do, so I don't know if he's talking about 100 exa or 1,000+ exa.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on May 19, 2016, 10:29:48 PM
Have you considered the other side of the ledger? That is to say your spending. Play a budget build - don't buy any more gear for it. Play a build that can do all map mods - don't chaos maps. Don't buy gear for alts. Don't throw fusings, chances, alchs, or anything at items thinking 'maybe I'll get lucky'. This can be a very underrated way to 'make' currency - by not spending it in the first place :P It will make your modest gains of what you're already doing seem more profitable.
"
flier66666 wrote:
I've been playing POE for almost 2 years now, and I've still not learned a good way to make currency. I've tried flipping drillnecks, running high tier maps, chaos recipes, and even playing in hardcore.

If by high tier maps you mean red maps, then don't. 1 T12 map sells for 10+ chaos. T13 go for 15+, and so on.

On a related note, spending money to make money (flipping drillnecks or chancing) is generally a bad idea unless you are blessed by fortuna. Clearly you're not.
Just put some time doing maps , im gona be honest there is not an "easy" way to make currency,
unless you're already rich 100+ex and flipping with big items.
The best way to make currencyin my opinion is to do a ton of maps, just play the game,
im averaging 50 maps a day , i usualy average around 80-140 fusings in currency and like 20 chaos from drops in a day and 1 exalted every 2-3 days.Second most important thing is to know what sells and learn the good mods , for example you get a armor helm with high life -2 resists and 40+ int , that helm should be worth allot especialy if it has 400+armor. Learn what people usualy need, what is the meta and
dont forget to play a build that you like ,so you dont get bored after 5-10 maps with it.
With this tactic im making 2-4exalts a day.
"
flier66666 wrote:
I've been playing POE for almost 2 years now, and I've still not learned a good way to make currency. I've tried flipping drillnecks, running high tier maps, chaos recipes, and even playing in hardcore. None of the ways have worked out all that well, mainly playing in hardcore. My computer isn't very good and when I'm leveling I tend to die from frame drops and not being able to react in time because of it. I've even tried running atziri, but with terrible frames and the lack of currency to make a better build for it, I've not found much success.

What I'm trying to get at is: Is there a way to make currency that would be possible for someone who can't play in hardcore, or do atziri?

I know that a lot of people have secret ways of getting currency and certain items to flip and that they want to keep them a secret so that they can continue doing it that way, but if you're willing to give some tips and pointers to me then I will be truly grateful.

If you don't want to have your secret ways of making currency be out in the open, but you're willing to share them with me, I'll keep those ways to myself and not make them public.

-Thank you for your feedback and time.

Having currency in softcore is not very usefull.
R.I.P 4.B.
"
innervation wrote:
Have you considered the other side of the ledger? That is to say your spending. Play a budget build - don't buy any more gear for it. Play a build that can do all map mods - don't chaos maps. Don't buy gear for alts. Don't throw fusings, chances, alchs, or anything at items thinking 'maybe I'll get lucky'. This can be a very underrated way to 'make' currency - by not spending it in the first place :P It will make your modest gains of what you're already doing seem more profitable.

This can't be stressed enough. I helped my brother fix his build. He wanted to buy a shield for 4 ex. I changed all his jewellery, swapped some master mods, spent a few regrets and had the same result with like 20 chaos investment. Spend less and get richer :)
Last September, after playing Softcore (I don't play Hardcore) for about 6 months and finally having a build I wanted to bring to level 90+, I started learning about ways to make some currency in Standard in order to buy myself a first 6L. I had never seen an Exalted Orb : they were these mythical things that players used to get items I would never have. At the time I had 27 Chaos Orbs. I stopped leveling my character to focus on currency. I would still play, but the focus was clearly on how to make currency. After about 2 weeks, I had 1200 Chaos in my stash (10 full rows, my wife didn't understand why I was so happy), and about 60 Exalts total by Christmas. After that I stopped focusing on trading to build other characters, but I've never had trouble getting decent gear afterwards. At the moment I must have about 200 Exalts worth of currency and gear combined, and I don't craft a lot by myself.

I used a combination of ways to gather currency, most of them listed here. A friend who was in the same situation asked me for advice when Perandus began. He used the same tips and made about 1000 Chaos in the first 2 weeks of the league. Here's what I did :

- I set up a shop using Acquisition (easier now if you have Premium Stash tabs, which I recommend).

- 4-5 tabs (not tabs in my shop) were dedicated to Alteration Orb trading. I observed the market prices in order to buy Orbs from low level players at a advantageous rate for them (there was no way I would accept to scam people) and sell them in bulk to high level players. At the time, I could buy Alts at 11:1, then sell them 560 for 1 Exalt, then sell the Exalt for 62 Chaos. I turned 100 Chaos into 121 Chaos in a full cycle, for a total profit of about 3 Exalts a day on good days. I did not keep any Exalts : they would all be turned into Chaos and used to buy Alts again. And in each step I was the seller with the best rates for everyone. The market changes a lot, so you need to follow it closely. But it helped me "make my millions". A few months ago the best profit was in buying and selling Fusings instead of Chaos. Now I don't know (haven't been trading for a while).

- I put up my Alts, Chaos and Exalts for sale on poe.trade, but I also when I simply watched TV with my wife I would post my rates in the trade chat. Since they were better than the others people dealt with me a lot.

- Three shop tabs were dedicated to level 1 support gems. Only level 1, only support gems, that I would buy or find in the game. I post them all for 12 Alts. Low level players want to keep their Chaos Orbs, and they tend to have more Alts to spare. So I sold my stuff for Alts. Then I sold the Alts for an Exalt when I had enough. I could make easily 1 Exalt a day with these tabs.

- One shop tab was dedicated to lvl 15 to 19 gems. All of them I sold 40 Alts. I did not even take the time to check if they were underpriced or not. Anyways, they were gems I did not need and they all sold very well.

- All the items in my shop I could sell for 10 Chaos or less, I would price in Alts and not in Chaos, simply because lots of players prefer to spend their Alts, and also because I could sell the Alts in bulk for a decent extra profit afterwards.

- All the rare Gloves/Boots/Helms with 2 or 3 Resists and Life (and 25% movement speed for Boots), I put up in my shop for 15-20 Chaos. Eventually some of them sell. You have nothing to lose. I've noticed that they sell MUCH faster when they are fully socketed and linked, with 20% quality.

- Vaal Haste gems. Everybody needs them. I filled up a stash tab with level 1 Haste gems, and every time I find a Vaal Orb I try to create a Vaal Haste, which I sell for 10 Chaos (8 or 9 in a temp league). It works. You cannot use a Regret to bring a high level Vaal Haste back to level 1, so new characters always need new Vaal Hastes. I let people pay with 6 or 7 Vaal Orbs to get a Vaal Haste if they want, and that helps me get more Vaal Hastes. I made several hundred Chaos with these gems during the first weeks of Perandus, and my Vaal Haste gems financed my 6L Vaal Regalia (which I got after only 3 days in Perandus).

- I tried Ghostbusting... I'm not good at it, I find it boring, and it got nerfed anyways...

There were a few other things but these are the main ones. Some people find trading boring, but I actually liked the fact that it let me meet a lot of people I regularly team up with now.

Now I stopped doing Orb trading. When the labyrinth came out I bought lots of ilvl 84 bases and ran the lab to Enchant them. Each helm I sell for 1 Ex, no more, no less. They sell. I also used my currency to build an awesome MF character, which I use to get nice uniques or rares I sell afterwards.

It was part of the game to learn how to get currency in an efficient way to finance high end gear and high level mapping. Maybe the ways I used aren't what other players would choose to try, but it worked well and I strongly suggest trying them out. If you have any questions simply PM me.
Last edited by Monsieur_Gao on May 21, 2016, 10:51:17 PM
"
tryhardgg wrote:

Having currency in softcore is not very usefull.

And here it is. The little troll strikes again...

The best way to make currency is just playing the game with a good build that does not produce large expenditures. The rest is just matter of time.

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info