Energy Shield % increase on amulets broken?

If you have 150% increased ES and another 40% increased ES from your sheild, the ES coming from you shield is increased by 190% while all your other ES is increased by 150%. You don't increase the Shield ES by 40% independently and then add it to the rest of your ES for the 150% calculation.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on May 5, 2016, 11:55:02 AM
The continued discussions in this thread are an apt demonstration of how clear everything is :D
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 5, 2016, 12:05:13 PM
Please explain. What don't I know what I'm talking about?
I edited it out, your second post cleared it out. You know what you're talking about, I misunderstood you. It's just difficult to convey meaning clearly when talking about these mechanics, or at least it seems so.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 5, 2016, 12:06:24 PM
The problem is the mechanics themselves are complex, which means, if you want things any less "muddy," you would either have to simplify the game itself, or be presented with a wall of text every time you mouse over anything.

"+40% additional increased-type-multiplier to that part of flat global energy shield which comes from shields, not stacking with any converted increases from other parts of this node
+40% additional increased-type-multiplier to that part of flat global Armour which comes from shieldd, not stackin ..."

Not to mention you'd still have people questioning the definition of "flat," "global," "additional," etc.

No, I think the way the developers do things now is just fine, with perhaps a few exceptions here and there (Penetration is not terribly well defined in an English context so it would be nice to specify Penetration only applies to Hits.)

I see they already changed flat damage on gear to specify "to Attacks" so that was already a positive change.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
@adghar: you have a point, perhaps I'm too demanding :)
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:

You would get a boost of around 124 to your ES with that node. (Math: (270*0,4)*1,15)
. That math only works if that is the only source of increased Es you have. Otherwise what is described there is an independent multiplier which is identified in game as More/Less.

But how would you word it differently? Using Increased/Decreased and More/Less consistently and precisely identifies the math that will be used with that modifier. I really don't see how they can word it any clearer, but maybe there is a way.

How is the calculation different if you have other sources of increased ES?

It isn't. If that 124 is taken as the net change in total ES after all modifiers, as I understood it, other increased modifiers play no role(except maybe +-1 due to rounding).
Yes, mark1030 seems to be thinking of "total contribution to net ES from increased ES bonuses applied to shield part."

I'll admit, I was thrown off a bit too because the 1.15 was thrown in, which is a separate modifier

Here's how I would have preferred to word it:

Total shield contribution to net ES:
270 * (1 + 0.4 + other inc) * 1.15 = at least 270 + 124, or at least 394

Contribution to pre-More ES from node only:
270 * (0.4) = 108

But I suppose the original 124 works ok as well.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on May 5, 2016, 1:17:44 PM
You're right. I didn't say what I was trying to say when I said that. I was trying to say a 40% shield node doesn't give you 40% more ES unless it's the only source of increased ES.

With 150% without the shield node, the shield contributes (270 * 2.5) = 675 ES
Adding the shield node, the shield contributes (270 * 2.9) = 783 ES

So that 40% node gives you only 16% extra ES when you already have 150% increased ES from elsewhere. Sorry I added to the confusion. Thanks for correcting me.
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
Which one of them has an entropy based dodge mechanic that gets good only when you combine it with another %based "full avoidance" type mechanic like block or dodge AND doesn't mention it anywhere inside the game?

well thats not true for evasion in poe, the bit where you need to stack dodge or block. Evasion is a bad thing to go out of your way to stack dodge or block on top of unless youre going insane with it. Evasion is amazing when you stack hp, es, max resist, armour or % damage taken as elemental, the last thing you ever want to waste points stacking with evasion is another form of avoidance unless its your 4th+ layer of defense and its cheap to get. Theres a reason people say evasion is shit, its because they think the best thing you can stack with it is dodge and then they get 1 shot because they have no significant physical damage reduction, which is actually the main thing that makes evasion good when you stack them together.

I couldnt tell you which other arpg also has entropy based evasion because I dont know exactly how evasion, block, dodge or armour works for sure in any other arpg outside of poe, which is sort of the point I was making. I have a vague idea how armour works in d3 and torchlight 2, and when I say vague its very vague.

"
raics wrote:

The saving grace of most other ARPGs out there is you don't really need to know all that in the vast majority of cases, in PoE you do.

lol, true, to a certain extent. Many do well enough without rly knowing what theyre doing though, those people are out there. Another way to look at it might be that its worth knowing these things in poe, they matter.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info