Energy Shield % increase on amulets broken?

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
There's a niche scenario with ES shields and the 'increased defenses from shield' stat which is worded ambiguously. It increases the ES you gain from the shield but this additional ES does not benefit from other increases (i.e. from %increased maximum ES).
This is incorrect. Importantly, this is not "additional ES" - it's an increased modifier, and it adds with all other increased modifiers, as normal. It just only applies to the ES from your shield, not from other sources.

That's more or less what I was trying to say, I guess I didn't say it well enough. Thanks for the clarification though.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I think that proves the point about how poorly it's worded.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"

if it proves something then it is the point how poorly you understand game mechanics

"all applicable increased/reduced modifiers stack into one multiplier" is the very basic rule of PoE mechanics
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Ludvator wrote:
"

if it proves something then it is the point how poorly you understand game mechanics

"all applicable increased/reduced modifiers stack into one multiplier" is the very basic rule of PoE mechanics

It is ambiguous. Even long-term players are confused by the 'increased shield defenses' mechanics and there are recurrent topics in gameplay help about it.

I suppose it sounds crystal clear to the devs but it's dark and muddy waters for most players.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 5, 2016, 9:30:36 AM
I said it 4 years ago. I say it today. The game mechanics are vague as F%#$.
"
BearCares wrote:

but less so than every other arpg existing right? Thats my experience.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
BearCares wrote:

but less so than every other arpg existing right? Thats my experience.

Are they, though? Which one of them has an entropy based dodge mechanic that gets good only when you combine it with another %based "full avoidance" type mechanic like block or dodge AND doesn't mention it anywhere inside the game?
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
but less so than every other arpg existing right?

Dunno about every other RPG, but lemme just say that Torchlight doesn't even have a decent set of established rules regarding game mechanics, on digging deeper you realize it has a pile of random crap. Also, good luck figuring out the way spells scale in Diablo 1 or some finer points regarding hybrid skills in Sacred.

The saving grace of most other ARPGs out there is you don't really need to know all that in the vast majority of cases, in PoE you do. Of course, that's a mixed bag, ideally a game should have low knowledge threshold to play it at basic level, offering all its complexity to those that want to step their game up a notch and optimize every last point.

I suppose we could say that PoE has a higher initial threshold than the norm, but once you get the basics down it's fairly consistent, which is a good thing because even if you don't know for sure what is happening you can assume it with a fair degree of certainity.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on May 5, 2016, 11:14:47 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:
"

It is ambiguous. Even long-term players are confused by the 'increased shield defenses' mechanics and there are recurrent topics in gameplay help about it.

I suppose it sounds crystal clear to the devs but it's dark and muddy waters for most players.
I don't see how they could word it any clearer if people can't understand the precise wording they use consistently for everything. Increased/reduced means the same thing everywhere it's used. How would you word it to make it clear to people who don't understand the mechanics of Increased/reduced in this game?

I agree that people often don't understand it. Case in point in this very thread even after Mark_GGG explained it:
"
FCK42 wrote:
"
winterlude wrote:
I was considering picking up the shield node, but my shield is only 270 ES
You would get a boost of around 124 to your ES with that node. (Math: (270*0,4)*1,15)
. That math only works if that is the only source of increased Es you have. Otherwise what is described there is an independent multiplier which is identified in game as More/Less.

But how would you word it differently? Using Increased/Decreased and More/Less consistently and precisely identifies the math that will be used with that modifier. I really don't see how they can word it any clearer, but maybe there is a way.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:
"
winterlude wrote:
I was considering picking up the shield node, but my shield is only 270 ES
You would get a boost of around 124 to your ES with that node. (Math: (270*0,4)*1,15)
. That math only works if that is the only source of increased Es you have. Otherwise what is described there is an independent multiplier which is identified in game as More/Less.

But how would you word it differently? Using Increased/Decreased and More/Less consistently and precisely identifies the math that will be used with that modifier. I really don't see how they can word it any clearer, but maybe there is a way.

How is the calculation different if you have other sources of increased ES?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info