Can we talk about the map drop rate?

"
Deadpeng wrote:
You are supposed to be satisfied with this game without any red maps. People used to reach 100 without any red maps...

I am satisfied with this game. Just not with the drop rate of reds :)

And I feel I'm no autistic enough to level to 100 on level 10 and 11 maps. Hell, 99-100 on level 11 maps must take, like, what? 3000 maps?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
Hell, 99-100 on level 11 maps must take, like, what? 3000 maps?

More like 300 maps. Yeah it's a lot but kinda doable.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Apr 29, 2016, 3:18:54 PM
"
Deadpeng wrote:
You are supposed to be satisfied with this game without any red maps. People used to reach 100 without any red maps...

You are supposed to find the gear yourself and not buy it from shady websites. But we both know what is supposed to happen and reality don't match. Now either ggg can adapt to reality, or they can keep pushing their ideology at the expense of the majority of people who play and would like stuff to not be RNG-gated.

A well rolled tier 14-15 map should be something you can do every once in a while, but magic tier 13-15 maps should be constantly available for xp and to find more maps. Forcing people to do lower tier maps (or boring maps, which is everything except ledge-like maps) which pose no challenge is a dumb decision. It's bad game-design and needs to go away.

Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
The best solution IMO would be one that makes mapping feel less "streaky" and more consistent without actually increasing the average amount of map drops. No idea how that would be implemented though.

Alternatively, I would be happy to see them buff map drops but increasing the amount of XP it takes to get from 90-100. If the numbers were tuned right it would still take as long as it does now to get to 100, but without the crappy feeling of not having challenging content to play.
Last edited by QuarkCatcher on Apr 29, 2016, 4:09:01 PM
oops, disregard
Last edited by QuarkCatcher on Apr 29, 2016, 4:09:39 PM
I still long for an alternative leveling method. I very much liked the endless "dungeon" in Torchlight. Almost like an endless ledge type of thing. Less RNG involved. Scoreboard on each level, new boss on each level. That would give us a PvP element in addition to single/multiplayer leveling.

And finally, when we reach max level, we get an option to try our character against a super har boss, which we can roll direct skill mods on using currency.

"Boss uses Iron Reflexes"
"Boss uses axe and shield"
"Boss uses a two hand weapon"
"Boss is a summoner"
"Boss uses shield charge"
"Boss has 100% increased health"

You could start off by rolling him white. That would be the "easiest" part. Then trying out rolling him blu with one mod that fits you. Then two mods. Then alch him. Each mod adding some difficulty and "score points", resulting in a score board". People willing to spend Regals and Exalts to get lots of mods fitting your own build would of course gain more.

And so on.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Apr 29, 2016, 4:27:27 PM
I am transmuting and augmenting all my maps 5 and below, and alcing the very few I have gotten 6+. Still playing stupid damn t5 maps for the majority of my time. I am also full clearing including all chests and breakables.

There is another game that is more realistic, you arent supposed to work and pray to get end game content, you just play it. But yeah, got bored of that and came here to this sort of Ayn Rand paradise type game where you can't expect to get drops to progress at your level, you have to effin WORK just to make money to PAY people to progress.. IDK, but to me at that point it doesn't feel like a game anymore, it feels like work. I'm sort of ok with having to buy progression gear, even if it seems ludicrously expensive at my level of income, but I'm really not OK with working to earn end game content itself. Its just farming for the sake of farming, and that is the larger reason I left the other game. They made it so you literally have to spend 8+ hours a day just farming to hope for the best end game gear, and I just don't have that much time or tolerance for boredom/work in a GAME.
It's honestly depressing, the dev's don't care one iota that the game has turned into mindnumbing work before you get to the good parts of the game.
"
Hyskoa wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:

You are supposed to find the gear yourself and not buy it from shady websites. But we both know what is supposed to happen and reality don't match. Now either ggg can adapt to reality, or they can keep pushing their ideology at the expense of the majority of people who play and would like stuff to not be RNG-gated.

A well rolled tier 14-15 map should be something you can do every once in a while, but magic tier 13-15 maps should be constantly available for xp and to find more maps. Forcing people to do lower tier maps (or boring maps, which is everything except ledge-like maps) which pose no challenge is a dumb decision. It's bad game-design and needs to go away.

Then what is left to prevent everyone from hitting 100? I am willing to reach 100 on tier 11s, you might not be willing to do so, so the rare drop rate of red maps helps to differentiate you and me.
"
Deadpeng wrote:

Then what is left to prevent everyone from hitting 100? I am willing to reach 100 on tier 11s, you might not be willing to do so, so the rare drop rate of red maps helps to differentiate you and me.

Not a damn thing, THAT'S THE POINT. You hit 100, have some pew pew fun with your completed build, get some nifty gear and roll an at. That's how a healthy RPG goes. Here, you're forced to spend a demented amount of hours to reach lvl 100. Making a lot of people not bother with playing since they can't "complete" a character(and I know what you'll say, lvl 80 is what most consider "finished", but it's not, otherwise lvl 81-100 wouldn't exist. So don't give me that spiel.)

Hell, if this game didn't have such HORRIBLE optimisation and a viable map/XP system, you'd see tons of parties levelling second, third and fourth characters to try out new builds. But now, no, you grind solo till 90, look at the XP required and give up. That's bad gamedesign, simply is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info