Can we talk about the map drop rate?

I'm sure I'm probably the millionth person to wonder what in the hell is the deal here, but man.. I know that compared to long term players my investment might seem minimal (I've only got 2 map capable characters one is around t2, and the other I can't climb high enough to get an estimate of its ceiling, but most of the gear is BIS for the build), but I went from actually allowing the endless amount of items that one needs to collect for progression to talk me from going from 4 tabs and endless mules to actually buying in - to the point where I'm back on t5 maps after finally managing to get a single t8 drop and seriously thinking about packing up my suitcase for other games.

I realize that perhaps this super low, way unsustainable drop rate (I feel like you have to run 7 maps on average to get an equivalent tier map drop, and 10+ for a higher one) is meant to encourage people to buy from other players, but the reality is that the few people who are selling mid and high tier maps are only selling the crappiest, slowest clearing maps with the hardest bosses at anything remotely affordable for the people actually farming those map tiers, and even those are expensive enough that they really put a drag on either your current or future progression.

I just don't get it. BTW, I am alcing all the 6+ tier maps I get according to GildedCages recommendation, of course the Zana Bench map mods are too expensive, I can't put her in my HO at the moment w/o losing all the XP from another master (for the extremely show grind Dailys), and of course she almost never shows up in the wild, and I have a very small pool of sacrifice shards to the point that I don't want to spend them all for a pittance 5% IIQ and cost myself all my future Aztiri opportunities.

This just isn't right.
Last bumped on May 3, 2016, 3:28:55 PM
You are doing it very wrong. First of all, you must have Zana. I dont care which other master you kick out but Zana is a must have. At master level 8, Zana sells maps even cheaper than other players are willing to sell.

Secondly, buy a few tier 8, then alchemy them to make them into 'seeds'. Seeds are maps to farm more maps around the same level.

Atziri currently has no value in this game, it is uber Atziri that has value. Since you are struggling even accumulating low tier maps, just invest all the fragments in it. Once you become rich, sacrifice fragments almost come free.
Here is a post from me about map drops being too easy.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1649266/page/1
^ Well, I am not making any of those mistakes.

I guess the only solution is to lose all the experience I've accumulated on a master to work on getting Zana above level 4. I still feel like she isn't going to provide enough of a pool on a daily basis to keep going, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I guess I'll take the advice on sacrificing my sacrifices too, and see if I can find some crappy t8 stuff that people will sell for a price that won't hurt my progression too much. *sigh* or maybe I should just start on t10 since I know those are just as easy from the one I paid a precious 2 fusings for (still lacking 2 6l, so..)
Last edited by taosk8r on Apr 29, 2016, 2:19:54 PM
For me the main problem is constantly wasting currency in rolling maps. And once you find a map you like "oops, sorry, single use only."
I'd rather have a use counter that goes down with increased rarity.
Unique = 1 use only
Rare = 3
Magic = 5
White = 8-10.

This way, simply getting xp won't based on RNG. Drops however is something where you sacrifice opportunity and XP for.

In ggg's thoughts, this should be a valid approach, since it's a choice players have to make.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
you can't really do something wrong when you still are at T7 and lower. (other than playing them white ofc)
it's just rng. and thus if you are unlucky you have to play more maps.
just trans them and then try to get a packsize mod. don't invest too much!

i somewhat agree with deadpeng on zana.
since she got restored she sells up to T11 maps at level 8. she once even wanted to sell me 4 T11 maps in one go ;) also she opens up to T10 maps as daily.

i also quite like the new zana-specific map mod. the map has 20 packsize already. you just need to aug/regal it and might get 40+ packsize with only 3 mods.

so zana definitely helps (at least a bit).
Sure :

Vendor the items and you can buy 2-3 +1 maps...not to mention that one already dropped. Imagine how much crap you will have when you alc&chisel your map. :)

Map drops are fine. At least until you reach T12.
"
For me the main problem is constantly wasting currency in rolling maps. And once you find a map you like "oops, sorry, single use only."

using currency to roll map like it was designed is wasting currency lol. ,

OP got BIS gear and cant get to yellow maps when all he need to do is make map magic and run them. WTF I'm reading?
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Apr 29, 2016, 2:48:47 PM
I have no problem sustaining yellow maps. The hard/strange part, is sustaining reds(>12). I have A LOT of 10s and 11s, and I chisel, alch and aim for +pack size and high IIR/IIQ every time. I have enough IIR on my char to sustain chaos for re-rolls each run, but I have never been able to reach a steady income og red maps. Sometimes my level 11 map pool is so big, that I change 3 and 3 of them to reds, but still - no luck. My build CAN run every mod, tho phys reflect is slow.

I'm VERY tired of people trying to guide me, telling me to do the exact thing I am doing. "Get good, be more lucky".

Like the dude above me - he just can't grasp the idea that the things working out for him, doesn't work out for everyone. Welcome to RNG.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Apr 29, 2016, 2:48:39 PM
You are supposed to be satisfied with this game without any red maps. People used to reach 100 without any red maps...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info