Upcoming Divination Cards

I want a divination card that gives The Immortal now...
I'm a little bit Bias, but the vivid jewel card is well and beyond my favourite card out of this pack. ;)
"
鬼殺し wrote:
A set of cards that gives a card.

Holy shit, PoE just jumped about ten sharks. NOW do you know what sort of insidious, obnoxious game you're playing, folks?

And you can bet all 90 cards will be rare as fuck.


...

"
Hyskoa wrote:
All nice and dandy, but the cards you want never drop any way, so why add more? Just means more stuff we can't have.


I don't see the shark jumping. Div card drop rate is already balls. The ability to keep your character a certain level through book of regression can help a bit if you have some really esoteric mission or self restriction, but the drop rates are currently balanced for:

'find one or two cards yourself and trade for the rest'. Cards that give you cards don't change the basic shitty math.

-Edit- To the guy below me, yeah I guess that's what I was getting at with what I wrote. So far the premise seems to be: 'incremental farming of increments' is bad. I don't see why. Adding a third tier of increments to the two Mirror cards still wouldn't be objectively 'bad'. It would be bordering on silly, but not bad, or even unhealthy for the game.

Your power level in the game, especially the late game progresses occurs by small increments. Why shouldn't your farming (IF you want it to - div cards are more or less an 'opt-in' feature).
Last edited by innervation on Apr 24, 2016, 10:27:59 PM
"
Nssheepster wrote:


My PC and bedroom has the dead or dying ashes of uncounted games. Many of them died because of things very similar to this. If I really started listing how many games I've watched die around me, you'd try to get me banned as a curse on any game I play. I've got a lot of experience with well made games that make seemingly small, simple mistakes, that end up snowballing into their demise.

So yeah, mitigate the damage of a bad decision that sets a bad precedent, that can and will have bad consequences without a very close eye kept on it, and very active players sounding a warning.

If someone donated 1k to do something that risked the game's survival....You ask them to pick something else, or give them a refund.


Ok. I will bite. Give me your best hypothetical disaster snowball from this. I am most curious about what you think are the potential bad decisions that can stem from this card. What terrible (or slightly worse) fate can befall us because of this bad precedent. Also, what is the precedent that is bad again, just so we are all clear?
"
PhillipF wrote:
Is the throne a... Toilet?

Seriously, it looks like his pants are down and he is reading wiping material, I can't help put look at it that way. @_@



Hi Phillip

Its actually pretty clever and a sense of dry humor. Read the flavor text :)

"A kings movement is unwavering"
Definitions:
Path of Exile; A world where you are free from pay to win. Unlimited builds, vast enemy mods and a strong end game. Unrivaled community in real life and rewarding developers.
Path of exile is one of the best ARPGS created/ Died 25 times to 1 boss in Path of Exile and would rip again.
"
Barivius wrote:
"
Nssheepster wrote:


My PC and bedroom has the dead or dying ashes of uncounted games. Many of them died because of things very similar to this. If I really started listing how many games I've watched die around me, you'd try to get me banned as a curse on any game I play. I've got a lot of experience with well made games that make seemingly small, simple mistakes, that end up snowballing into their demise.

So yeah, mitigate the damage of a bad decision that sets a bad precedent, that can and will have bad consequences without a very close eye kept on it, and very active players sounding a warning.

If someone donated 1k to do something that risked the game's survival....You ask them to pick something else, or give them a refund.


Ok. I will bite. Give me your best hypothetical disaster snowball from this. I am most curious about what you think are the potential bad decisions that can stem from this card. What terrible (or slightly worse) fate can befall us because of this bad precedent. Also, what is the precedent that is bad again, just so we are all clear?


The bad precedent is the Immortal. Card that gives a card isn't great, but not a huge issue. Card that gives a Mirror was always sketchy, but the drop rate is so low that finishing the set is about as common as a Mirror itself, so it sorts out. A card that is basically a Shard of a Mirror Shard, 1/90th of a mirror, is a very bad precedent.

The issue with making 1/90 of a Mirror is twofold. One, it encourages GGG to make pieces and parts of actual currency. If we make pieces and parts of actual currency, we end up devaluing ALL currency, as all the currency is linked together. This many Wisdom for an Alch, this many Alch for a Chaos....You start adding pieces of a Mirror and suddenly these start becoming actual currency, in a way they shouldn't, and while ONE isn't terrible, multiple cards like this would wreck the economy in the game. You notice how we only have shards up to Alchs? Nothing higher? Cuz the Chaos is our baseline currency. Well, why IS Chaos our baseline currency? Maybe partly because we can't sell pieces of a Chaos, just a Chaos? Sure, there are other reasons...but that's part of it.

The second half of the issue is...Mirrors almost never drop, or even exist in the game. That's INTENDED. That's designed in. And that's a good thing. Having an unnatainable goal helps keep players around. TECHNICALLY, you COULD fill your fancy Currency Stash tab with 5000 Mirrors....Is it ever gonna happen? No. Will people try? Yeah. As long as they're trying, they're playing, and that keeps the community, the economy, and the game alive and well. You add this card, and suddenly people plan on farming the hell out of wherever it drops, not because of good XP, or anything else that drops there, but JUST for this card, in the hopes of getting 90 and getting a Mirror, so they're suddenly rich. Wherever this drops will suddenly quadruple in farming simply because of this card. This card's existence will actively distort the game around it because it offers a chance at getting a Mirror, eventually. Mirrors are meant to be ridiculously rare. This card makes them less rare, and that's a bad move.

Think of this card being added as on par to when world governments decided to drop the gold standard. It seemed good in theory, it did terribly in practice, and it let them get away with a lot of hidden economic manipulation and changes that haven't gone well in the long run.

It's bad news, man. We can't afford to have more of this happening.


- Sheepster
Seriously? First the queen and now this...Now uber atziri items are dropping from div cards?? I'm sorry but that is hands down the most idiotic move you guys have made to date. Like WTF do you want to have any challenge at all left in this game?
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L96 Pathfinder
BowJobsForAll - L95 Pathfinder
GottaHANDItToYou - L95 Raider
Last edited by TheAshmaker on Apr 24, 2016, 10:57:02 PM
"
Nssheepster wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:
"
Nssheepster wrote:


My PC and bedroom has the dead or dying ashes of uncounted games. Many of them died because of things very similar to this. If I really started listing how many games I've watched die around me, you'd try to get me banned as a curse on any game I play. I've got a lot of experience with well made games that make seemingly small, simple mistakes, that end up snowballing into their demise.

So yeah, mitigate the damage of a bad decision that sets a bad precedent, that can and will have bad consequences without a very close eye kept on it, and very active players sounding a warning.

If someone donated 1k to do something that risked the game's survival....You ask them to pick something else, or give them a refund.


Ok. I will bite. Give me your best hypothetical disaster snowball from this. I am most curious about what you think are the potential bad decisions that can stem from this card. What terrible (or slightly worse) fate can befall us because of this bad precedent. Also, what is the precedent that is bad again, just so we are all clear?


The bad precedent is the Immortal. Card that gives a card isn't great, but not a huge issue. Card that gives a Mirror was always sketchy, but the drop rate is so low that finishing the set is about as common as a Mirror itself, so it sorts out. A card that is basically a Shard of a Mirror Shard, 1/90th of a mirror, is a very bad precedent.

The issue with making 1/90 of a Mirror is twofold. One, it encourages GGG to make pieces and parts of actual currency. If we make pieces and parts of actual currency, we end up devaluing ALL currency, as all the currency is linked together. This many Wisdom for an Alch, this many Alch for a Chaos....You start adding pieces of a Mirror and suddenly these start becoming actual currency, in a way they shouldn't, and while ONE isn't terrible, multiple cards like this would wreck the economy in the game. You notice how we only have shards up to Alchs? Nothing higher? Cuz the Chaos is our baseline currency. Well, why IS Chaos our baseline currency? Maybe partly because we can't sell pieces of a Chaos, just a Chaos? Sure, there are other reasons...but that's part of it.

The second half of the issue is...Mirrors almost never drop, or even exist in the game. That's INTENDED. That's designed in. And that's a good thing. Having an unnatainable goal helps keep players around. TECHNICALLY, you COULD fill your fancy Currency Stash tab with 5000 Mirrors....Is it ever gonna happen? No. Will people try? Yeah. As long as they're trying, they're playing, and that keeps the community, the economy, and the game alive and well. You add this card, and suddenly people plan on farming the hell out of wherever it drops, not because of good XP, or anything else that drops there, but JUST for this card, in the hopes of getting 90 and getting a Mirror, so they're suddenly rich. Wherever this drops will suddenly quadruple in farming simply because of this card. This card's existence will actively distort the game around it because it offers a chance at getting a Mirror, eventually. Mirrors are meant to be ridiculously rare. This card makes them less rare, and that's a bad move.

Think of this card being added as on par to when world governments decided to drop the gold standard. It seemed good in theory, it did terribly in practice, and it let them get away with a lot of hidden economic manipulation and changes that haven't gone well in the long run.

It's bad news, man. We can't afford to have more of this happening.



Your arguments are sound yet you're only factoring in standard. From my knowledge Temp leagues are much more popular so your point is moot in terms of what drives players to come back to poe. Also, Im not sold on the shard theory. It will still be ridiculously hard to farm these shards anyways and mirrors might become a little more popular. Imo currency works so well because we don't have gold. Gold never worked in D2 either, usually traded in runes and it worked. When players get nothing they leave, that's proven and thats why GGG buffed unique drops rates. People who spend 4000 hours should not be the only ones with some grand excitement. I understand its to make longevity in standard but cmon there is a lot to do and GGG always bring out new content and that is what will keep the game alive.
Guys at GGG are smart and dedicated. Have some faith and if concerned, do your research and write an email, im sure they'll take the advice.
Definitions:
Path of Exile; A world where you are free from pay to win. Unlimited builds, vast enemy mods and a strong end game. Unrivaled community in real life and rewarding developers.
Path of exile is one of the best ARPGS created/ Died 25 times to 1 boss in Path of Exile and would rip again.
We have 1/90 of a mirror already. It is called an exalted orb in the temp leagues. Those exalts are broken down many different ways, including an irrelevant 1/10 card.

We can sell pieces of a chaos. There is a divination card called Rain of Chaos...which well..rains. It is an 8th of a chaos orb and irrelevant.
@Nssheepster

I don't buy either of those arguments. Currency is already incremental - even if there weren't alch shards. If 100 new players start an account today and they all want to build around one specific item that costs exactly one exalted orb (the seller won't take anything other than one pure exalt), what is going to happen?

One of them will get an exalt drop by level 60.

The other 99 will incrementally trade up their alts and chroms into fuses and chaos, then trade the fuses and chaos for a pure exalt.

To the second point, I don't believe ANYONE is playing this game hoping for a mirror drop. Like, man, once that mirror drops for me I'm out of here and I'm going to keep playing till it does. Like, that's not why people play these games. Do they play for long term goals that seem epic, and somewhat unreachable, sure. But no one looks at something like a mirror and makes that their reason to keep playing. They could eliminate the mirror drop from the game right now and no one would quit over it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info