Ascendancy points can be rewarded out of Labyrinth. Lab is forced just to have a build

"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Pyrokar wrote:
About labyrinth being optional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwi6U7MojDQ#t=39m20s

Get rekt biatches

He never says they aren't optional.

Next time pay attention.

Now you are just in denial.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Yea, in that video Chris said that its not optional and is a core part of the game. He also stated later that they will be looking in increasing the difficulty because of the power creep of the new AC, and will probably balance the game around it (they talked about monsters getting new skills if it works out in testing stage)

The thing I would like is that you could have a optional path in labyrinth, where you just skip the trap parts and go directly to the buffed version of boss. And the only reword you can get is the Ascendancy points without any loot or enchantments. So people that dont like traps gameplay dont waste time with that part of the game and just fight the boss to get the points.
Last edited by Ragnar119 on Apr 17, 2016, 6:00:30 AM
Why do that many people fail to see (or choose to ignore) the main problem of the labyrinth ?

It breaks a crucial mechanic of the hack-n-slash genre.

See normally, you kill things, level-up your character, go and attempt the next boss to continue your progression. Sometimes it's too hard, so then you backtrack, go level-up a bit more, try and find more equipment, and at some point your character is good enough to pass that difficult boss.

Not in the labyrinth. In the labyrinth, the traps that killed you the first time, will still kill you, no matter what you do to improve your character.

Easy or not is not the point. It's just fundamentally different from the rest of the game, and from the hack-n-slash genre in general.

I understand some people seem to like it (although not that very many, considering the numbers in this news post : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1622774, but what I don't get is why the ascendancies HAVE to be gated behind it.

Wouldn't *everybody* be happy if the labyrinth was just another optional content like Atziri is ?
Lab-lovers can continue to farm it to get enchantments and stuff, rest of us can continue playing the game without having to cope with it.

Personnally I hoped things would go this way, especially after seeing the amount of bad feedback about the labyrinth. But the recent statements from devs crushed that hope.

That's all, it was my first QQ post ever, and most probably my last, too.
Time to get a break from PoE, obviously.
Please. No more labyrinth.
"
Ragnar119 wrote:
Yea, in that video Chris said that its not optional and is a core part of the game. He also stated later that they will be looking in increasing the difficulty because of the power creep of the new AC, and will probably balance the game around it (they talked about monsters getting new skills if it works out in testing stage)

The thing I would like is that you could have a optional path in labyrinth, where you just skip the trap parts and go directly to the buffed version of boss. And the only reword you can get is the Ascendancy points without any loot or enchantments. So people that dont like traps gameplay dont waste time with that part of the game and just fight the boss to get the points.
I like this suggestion.

I'd happily fight a fully buffed Izaro and forfeit getting any kind of reward other than Ascendancy passives (including giving up on enchants and currency or any other items) to get to bypass the traps.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"
patirce wrote:

Not in the labyrinth. In the labyrinth, the traps that killed you the first time, will still kill you, no matter what you do to improve your character.

Easy or not is not the point. It's just fundamentally different from the rest of the game, and from the hack-n-slash genre in general.

this is untrue

- phys reduction reduces phys DoT damage from the traps
- armour reduces damage from on-hit traps
- dodge/block/evasion reduces number of hit from dart traps
- fire resistance trivializes lava trap
- movement speed allows for quick passage of on-step traps in one go

- good flask management prevents dangerous situations
- movement skill helps with efficient navigation

good build (not dps on legs) has no problem with Izaro AND traps/labyrinth. so improve your build.

you - as a player - can also get better in the game and not die horribly. in fact getting hit by a trap is pretty much.. 100% avoidable? guys doing speed runs will not get hit by floor traps as these root you in place and you waste time. just do not get hit.

Ascendancies are gated behind the lab so players have at least a bit of understanding and/or a balanced build before they progress to mindlessly right-click trough blue Tier 4 maps. good players can manage with 3800 life. new/bad players have to step up their game or be forever stuck. this is most probably the first step to curb the power creep. starting from the clay-fingered glass cannons (note: it does not affect GOOD players, these manage without breaking a sweat. regardless if they like the lab or not).
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Maswasnos wrote:
Since so many people are upset about this, I figure a good compromise would be this: When you complete a lab, you get the ascendancy points from any lower labyrinth levels.

For example, if you complete normal, you get 2 points. If you do cruel without doing normal, you get 4 points. If you just do merciless, you get 6 points all at once.

It's the same thing they did for all the standard characters so they wouldn't have to run the trials and lab a million times. The benefit is that you can get points in lower levels if you need them, but you can also just save them all until the end if you want, and you only HAVE to run the lab once.

This really isn't acceptable, its the solution they did for standard to make it easier on players that had many many characters they wanted to ascend, but this just removes the pressure of doing the lab 3 times per character, not only that it also removes the trials as well from normal\cruel. Most players, especially ones that hate the lab would just pay to get carried in merciless if this is the case. That isn't improving anything its just giving the cry babies something easier.

Sure, if you want to level the whole way through cruel and merciless with no ascendancy points, you could do this. I'd pick the points though usually, especially if they helped define my build.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
Maswasnos wrote:
Since so many people are upset about this, I figure a good compromise would be this: When you complete a lab, you get the ascendancy points from any lower labyrinth levels.

For example, if you complete normal, you get 2 points. If you do cruel without doing normal, you get 4 points. If you just do merciless, you get 6 points all at once.

It's the same thing they did for all the standard characters so they wouldn't have to run the trials and lab a million times. The benefit is that you can get points in lower levels if you need them, but you can also just save them all until the end if you want, and you only HAVE to run the lab once.
Picking up all "not yet done" points from earlier difficulties would be a good incentive to hold off until Cruel, for example, to get 4 points at once.

Somebody else suggested giving players an option to skip Lab completely, giving up on enchants, and taking on a fully buffed Izaro to get Ascendancy points. That would be even better when combined with picking up points from previous levels of difficulty.

Anything that pushes the boredom and disappointment associated with running Lab further into the background would be highly welcomed by a *lot* of players, including this one.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Apr 17, 2016, 10:47:05 AM
"
patirce wrote:
Why do that many people fail to see (or choose to ignore) the main problem of the labyrinth ?

It breaks a crucial mechanic of the hack-n-slash genre.

See normally, you kill things, level-up your character, go and attempt the next boss to continue your progression. Sometimes it's too hard, so then you backtrack, go level-up a bit more, try and find more equipment, and at some point your character is good enough to pass that difficult boss.

I understand some people seem to like it (although not that very many, considering the numbers in this news post : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1622774, but what I don't get is why the ascendancies HAVE to be gated behind it.

Wouldn't *everybody* be happy if the labyrinth was just another optional content like Atziri is ?
Lab-lovers can continue to farm it to get enchantments and stuff, rest of us can continue playing the game without having to cope with it.

Personnally I hoped things would go this way, especially after seeing the amount of bad feedback about the labyrinth. But the recent statements from devs crushed that hope.

That's all, it was my first QQ post ever, and most probably my last, too.
Time to get a break from PoE, obviously.
No it doesnt.

Torchlight 2 had traps, traps have been a part of the ARPG genre for a long time. Gauntlet had traps to. Plenty of ARPG had traps in their games.

Do you people just pretend to be ARPG fans without having played a large range of ARPGs ? Because it certainly feels that way when you say traps have no place in the game, when they actually do have place in the game.

Labyrinth IS optional content, you dont have to get Ascendacies points. This is a FACT.

If i go to softcore, put in all my points and gear that i was using on my Rain of Arrows Ranger, is my build going to be suddenly broken ? No, its not. Its going to work perfectly fine just like it did before Ascendancy released. NOTHING changed that would break builds made before Ascendancy and make them not function in 2.2. The same is true for the leveling process.

That being said, if you plan a build with Ascendancy points, then you should be expected to earn them. I know, hard concept for alot of people these days, actually earning things and not asking for freebies.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
While I need to make the lab to have the ascendancy class, I will never come back to the game.
"
HeliaXDemoN wrote:
While I need to make the lab to have the ascendancy class, I will never come back to the game.

took the liberty to check your characters. as expected - these are the target of what GGG tries to do: glass cannons, over-usage of uniques, bad flasks, low life, no defenses except 'maybe ill make it'

it is not the lab (traps) that kills you - it is Izaro. am i right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info