Development Manifesto: Performance

So by 2017 the game might be playable?
GGG,

Please comment on the skill effects, lag it causes, party issues due to this and your reasoning for introducing new skills (like ice trap), mobs, etc that create huge amounts of lag when you know this is already an issue (due to ongoing complaints).
fuck em
Yea
Saved
Perfect^
IGN: HardyHard_FireFly

Big thx GGG for this great game :)
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
I was supposed to be first reply but i encountered weather effect and I lagged
Spoiler

Ps: good job on all the rest! It's just sad that you insist so much on imposing something that breaks the immersion, claiming that you keep it for immersion

Not GGGs fault you run a potato. Im sure there are settings you can use.
Definitions:
Path of Exile; A world where you are free from pay to win. Unlimited builds, vast enemy mods and a strong end game. Unrivaled community in real life and rewarding developers.
Path of exile is one of the best ARPGS created/ Died 25 times to 1 boss in Path of Exile and would rip again.
It's nice that Chris explained some of the internals and that performance finally gets the attention it needs. But.
The whole post is depressing: It basically says that they hope "new" technology will fix things in the future. It again tries to blame ISPs for many of the problems and it doesn't give me one bit of hope that GGG implements some quick fixes while working on the "great solution".

You could just give us the ability to tone down some of the really mad skill effects. Tone down weather, tone down sound effects to a minimum, etc...

And seriously, 7.7 GB worth of assets?! 3D skeletons and textures, because (luckily) this game doesn't use video sequences in the middle of the action. A bit of music and some short sound effects. Then 7.7 GB is crazy much. That should be reducable by a LOT. Example: I like the background music, but it shouldn't be loaded at all if we turn its volume to 0.

And there are still fat bugs which have no relation to performance. For example, every time I pick up a lab quest item (key or trinket), my client crashes with an invalid memory access exception. So, the lab is impossible for me, because even on days when no golden key is required, Izaro drops keys on his final death and *boom*, client crashes.
You can't tell me this is a problem on my side. It's a coding issue with these lab quest items.

Mouse input is still handled super badly, movement precision is down the toilet. This has become much worse since ascendancy.

So, there are many things you guys should fix and hoping for the magic bullets of 64bit / DX11 is gonna cause some serious disappointment when you notice that they don't fix design issues at all...
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
TwelveYears wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
I was supposed to be first reply but i encountered weather effect and I lagged
Spoiler

Ps: good job on all the rest! It's just sad that you insist so much on imposing something that breaks the immersion, claiming that you keep it for immersion

Not GGGs fault you run a potato. Im sure there are settings you can use.

IM getting framedrops with my PC.. Runt it on max settings at around 250-300fps, but sometimes the fps drops too 45fps for some skill effects, never happend before.

CPU: i7-6700k 4.8ghz, (H110GT water cooling)
RAM: 16gb DDR4 runs at 2666mhz
GPU: MSI 970 4gb
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E500B 500GB
Win 10 OEM 64bit
Motherboard asus z170-a
Last edited by Fladdermasken on Apr 6, 2016, 4:42:26 AM
Nice!
These Perandus-Dudes really make my rig stutter, which used to play PoE smoothly since closed beta.
Very good you are into this.

cheers,
yakster
In other words you are doing everything you can so that the game loads all the assets efficiently with the game's current coding - that's great and most of the community can understand that.

What some of us don't understand is why don't you take more practical measures against some of the issues players are suffering from.

For example why do you insist on having rogue exiles appear at the instant the player opens the chest when these issues you are describing exist, instead of giving the player some time to go away, have the spike and then fight the exile?
Or why have you implemented sudden death mechanics when these issues are at large and why these mechanics (traps) are so unforgivable for ES characters and allow them to die on a single fps/lag spike?

Seriously can I not be ignored for once and get a decent answer?

Last edited by RestInPieces on Apr 6, 2016, 6:38:36 AM
Thanks for all this, great to hear work is being done!
This season is the first season over the last 2 years that I feel performance has really become a problem, as well as the more understandable lag related rip during the first weekend yesterday I dc ripd - there's no real justification for a character dying during the time the servers lag until you're logged out and its incredibly frustrating. Anyway, hope things will get better soonish! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info