[Poll] It's been a month now, how much do you like the labyrinth/acendancy class/enchantments?

- Lab : 1/10

I don't hate it, but it's not very well implemented. Once again, the forced HC mechanics are absurd, there are reason I don't play HC, main reasons being I sometimes have to drop the game altogether to take care of some stuff IRL, and I don't have a really good history of stability with the PoE servers.

So this means a major part or character development is now gated behind a mechanic I've avoided on purpose for a long time. Would PoE have been a roguelike where I could lose runs on a lag or a L/D, I wouldn't have played it at all (and yet I'm a big fan of roguelikes, just playing them offline where I can pause and not be disconnected from a fiddly server).

Also, it's not well balanced in any way. Normal and cruel are overtuned, and can't be done reasonably at the lvl you get access to the lab in those modes (same for merciless, but you have more margin to do it later), which forces you to backtrack and just overlevel it to do it reliably. Then in endgame merciless you just roll over it as any lvl 68 content. Absurd again, if even working as intended.

I like the traps tho, and would like to see them more sporadically added to the regular content (not in the lab gauntlets way, more like some added difficulty here and there in interiors, along with the usual mobs).

As it stands now, will only play it 3 times for ascendencies. If ascendencies weren't gated behind it, wouldn't even do the trials x3.

- Ascendencies : 7/10

It's great, everything I expected and more. Still have some balancing issues tho.

- Enchants : haven't experimented enough to have an opinion on this.

To me, would be better to :

- gate ascendencies behind Malachai (the whole ascension would make more sense to me in that storyline, plus it'd finally put a big overdue reward behind malachai).

- Remove lab from normal and cruel, up lvl and difficulty in merciless and have it as a way to gear up/xp with enchants and treasure chests. Put temporary waypoints behind each izaro iteration, or use the regular map mechanic with a set number of portals as suggested earlier (I've heard 3, would be fine).

- Populate regular dungeons with traps to increase environmental danger beside mobs.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by kogaratsu on Apr 5, 2016, 5:30:56 AM
Lab = dont like, but we cant change anything.

Ascendancy = 10/10, best expansion so far.

enchanments = 0/10 that shitty realization with 1 enhancement per run ruin that good idea to worst. This is worse then talisman rng. Multiple players left the game bcs of that trash realization (1 enhant per run, LOL?)
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Lab is shit
Ascendancy cool
Enchants whatever.

IMO lab should be a 70, 75 and 80 map so you actually get some EXP. Plus Ascendancy so overpowered it should come very late and be very hard to get. Maybe make 3rd set of points like UBER hard.

I'd not like the idea if you mean that i have to "drop" my way to the lab. Actually it's my favourite alternative to maps, and i run it whenever I'm tired of grinding through tiers :0
For an Emperor to be just, an Emperor must be patient.
"
kogaratsu wrote:

Also, it's not well balanced in any way. Normal and cruel are overtuned, and can't be done reasonably at the lvl you get access to the lab in those modes (same for merciless, but you have more margin to do it later), which forces you to backtrack and just overlevel it to do it reliably. Then in endgame merciless you just roll over it as any lvl 68 content. Absurd again, if even working as intended.

this isnt true. done a clean - minimal twink - character from 0 to merc Izi and have done Lab underleveled as a MELEE non-fotm non-chaos non-cookieCutter build without issues. died, improved, never died again

Izi specifically checks your flasks, your positioning ability and your basic build breakpoints (survivability and damage). most builds these days are 'damage, damage, damage' and these fail - by design i presume.

having on-level life flasks (not some mediums from late act1normal), having granite/jade/basalt or other form of defensive flask (Perandus league gives us this ABSURDLY strong leveling mana flask that heal for 800% of mana spent.. this is just absurdly strong) makes this fight manageable

on the other hand wearing tabula for a 6link and having 3 nodes into life + some incidental +life rolls on gear will kill a character (if player isnt up to the game)
lab: 3/10 - first character was cool and all when it was new. second character onwards though it's just a chore and a time sink to get your points so you might as well just out-level it and rush it with movement skills. also fuck having to do 18 trials on each character to enter it. typical balance issues on first release with normal being way too hard for new/non-twinked characters.

ascendancy 7/10 - i wasn't expecting to play so much of this league but the prospect of trying builds with new classes outweighed the tedium of the lab, at least until now. tied into the lab though, the first 2 points aren't that consequential most of the time so you might as well skip normal until later. 4 points are needed for the major talents and you can't get them cruel so imo, it's kinda boring levelling the same basic classes for almost 2 playthroughs of the game before you get something worthwhile.

enchants 2-3/10 - they're pretty much whatever. sometimes you hit gold and a couple of boot enchants are decent but gloves enchants are pointless and going for a usable helm enchant takes way too long on average. never mind the apply enchants achievement which can take even longer if you're unlucky and you get next to no exp or other rewards for doing the lab.
"
sidtherat wrote:

this isnt true. done a clean - minimal twink - character from 0 to merc Izi and have done Lab underleveled as a MELEE non-fotm non-chaos non-cookieCutter build without issues. died, improved, never died again

Izi specifically checks your flasks, your positioning ability and your basic build breakpoints (survivability and damage). most builds these days are 'damage, damage, damage' and these fail - by design i presume.

having on-level life flasks (not some mediums from late act1normal), having granite/jade/basalt or other form of defensive flask (Perandus league gives us this ABSURDLY strong leveling mana flask that heal for 800% of mana spent.. this is just absurdly strong) makes this fight manageable

on the other hand wearing tabula for a 6link and having 3 nodes into life + some incidental +life rolls on gear will kill a character (if player isnt up to the game)

And yet this isn't the experience a lot of players seems to be having. Also : how much time did you spent in there getting better, and how many lvls did you gain doing so ? I've also did the lab on normal without looking at guides and walkthrough, but doing so i've ended up overleveling it, then I just breezed through the rest of normal and onto cruel.

Problem is : I know everything you're telling me. I've got nearly 1k hours in the game. I'm not talking for "veterans" players (more likely "used to put up with the tedium", but still), who know how to beat that stuff, know how to gear up, know the importance of flasks, etc. and in many ways, know how to cheese our way through content.

From a design and conceptual point of view, however, a fresh new player got enough on its plate with PoE at first without having to bother with this kind of stuff, designed to trick him into frustration. It's bad for the game, and it's bad design overall.

You know what good design is ? Easy to learn, hard to master. Right now it's the other way around.

You could then argue that it's no content for a new player, well then just implement it in the endgame, like Aziri and uber Aziri, not from A3 normal and onward.
Last edited by kogaratsu on Apr 5, 2016, 7:02:34 AM
"
Regulator wrote:
Spoiler
"
Ceri wrote:
"
Perq wrote:

People being bad, tanking shit with their faces, letting Izaro get buffed as fuck, and not understanding his mechanics at all, claim shit about Labyrinth being this and that. I was stopping myself from saying this directly, but lets say it out loud:

You're just fucking bad. This is why you hate it. Period.
Instead of trying to get everything down, try getting up for once. Godfuckingdamnit.

You (and others) just don't get it, do you?

Let's try this:

1. I do not think the Labyrinth is difficult, on any difficulty.
2. I have never died to a trap.
3. I do not have a problem with Izaro's mechanics, they are fairly evident after the first few encounters.
4. I have died 3 times to Izaro, first was a oneshot when I didn't know the mechanics - fine. Second was a lag spike - not too fun. Third was my own fault - fine.

Now, that said, let's try this too:

A) I do not enjoy (too) dark and restricted room designs, like the hopeless Chamber of Sins-tileset in the Lab which is full with tiny rooms, almost no light and traps hidden here and there. That's just frustrating and a chore to plough through.
B) I do not enjoy boss designs that require you to have high attack/cast speed and movespeed to survive. This is a cancer that was started with Dominus, and many bosses in act 4 and Izaro are the same. Stand still on one spot for a millisecond too long and you're dead. I think this is cheap and boring design and in particular I think it's annoying while leveling. Endgame, sure, but in Normal and Cruel you really need to make sure you pick these speed buffs early on. I'm annoyed because the game is telling me how to make my builds.
C) The "forced hardcore" thing they did in the Lab, has no place in any game, period. There is a reason we have both standard and hardcore. That I have to restart the entire damn thing because of either my error or internet problems, that's frustrating beyond belief. There is no known universe in which this is considered a good design.

There, those are my top 3 reasons why I dislike the Labyrinth, and as you can see, none have anything to do with skill, gear or build. I know for a fact that others feel the same, it's not about perceived difficulty or whatever, it's just not fun.

Can you respect that?

On-topic:

Labyrinth is a waste of my time, and I'd rather not run it ever again. 1/10.

Ascendancy classes is a good idea I'd love to see more of. Kinda sad it restricts builds to certain classes though - that was always one of the big things about PoE that you could use any class for any build. You still can to a point but not really. 7/10.

Enchantments don't exist to me because I don't run the Lab. Idea? 8/10. Implementation? 1/10.

[Removed by Support]

Oh, you again. Back to circle-jerk someone who is a big supporter, yet shit on other supporter, because you don't like him. You can call me stupid all day, buddy, we all know who you are, and what you pretend to be.

Also, how about you don't tell people what they should do with their money? Ceri never said he'll cease to support GGG, because Lab. You're not OverLord of Lab Haters Inc., or something. :=)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Melissa_GGG on Apr 5, 2016, 12:20:51 PM
"
kogaratsu wrote:

From a design and conceptual point of view, however, a fresh new player got enough on its plate with PoE at first without having to bother with this kind of stuff, designed to trick him into frustration.

You know what good design is ? Easy to learn, hard to master. Right now it's the other way around.

You could then argue that it's no content for a new player, well then just implement it in the endgame, like Aziri and uber Aziri, not from A3 normal and onward.

Personally i think new players expect a hardcore game when first spotting the passive skill tree and thus are mentally prepared to encounter hard to learn content.
As a somewhat new player I enjoy the lab very much and another guy i brought into PoE when Talisman was almost ending didn't even question the existence of the lab.
He just plays and tries to understand/conquer it because it's part of the game.

I think the problem is more with veterans having to leave their comfort zone of endgame-only-playstyle and being used to conquer everything with time/currency-investment (over-leveling/over-gearing)

For performance/IRL-issues i would actually like a system where you restart at the exact same spot you logged out, maybe with a few second grace period where the traps stand still as long as the player doesn't move, to not instagib before grasping the situation.
Last edited by Rob_GGG on Apr 5, 2016, 7:13:03 AM
"
Antaiseito wrote:

Personally i think new players expect a hardcore game when first spotting the passive skill tree and thus are mentally prepared to encounter hard to learn content.
As a somewhat new player I enjoy the lab very much and another guy i brought into PoE when Talisman was almost ending didn't even question the existence of the lab.
He just plays and tries to understand/conquer it because it's part of the game.

I think the problem is more with veterans having to leave their comfort zone of endgame-only-playstyle and being used to conquer everything with time/currency-investment (over-leveling/over-gearing)

For performance/IRL-issues i would actually like a system where you restart at the exact same spot you logged out, maybe with a few second grace period where the traps stand still as long as the player doesn't move, to not instagib before grasping the situation.

Actually you have a poi t i think, I've brought here a couple o friends and they like lab and don't any problem with it even if they ripped a lot while learning how to beat it. They complain a bit just about technical issue. It's normal for new players to take up to 1 hour to beat the lab, and a lag Spike or a DC it's annoying in that case.
For an Emperor to be just, an Emperor must be patient.
"
kogaratsu wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

And yet this isn't the experience a lot of players seems to be having. Also : how much time did you spent in there getting better, and how many lvls did you gain doing so ? I've also did the lab on normal without looking at guides and walkthrough, but doing so i've ended up overleveling it, then I just breezed through the rest of normal and onto cruel.

Problem is : I know everything you're telling me. I've got nearly 1k hours in the game. I'm not talking for "veterans" players (more likely "used to put up with the tedium", but still), who know how to beat that stuff, know how to gear up, know the importance of flasks, etc. and in many ways, know how to cheese our way through content.

From a design and conceptual point of view, however, a fresh new player got enough on its plate with PoE at first without having to bother with this kind of stuff, designed to trick him into frustration. It's bad for the game, and it's bad design overall.

it is the perfect way to teach new players this stuff. without the lab the game is so easy that the brick wall new players hit is simply latter on and it is way better to hit it at 30 (Izi) than on 55 (when my first ever character hit it few years ago)

this game is very easy to learn: click to attack, click to move, try to not die. rules are simple. flasks, items, levels etc are the middle layer and then the advanced stuff. Izi fight and lab in general doesnt have anything from the 'advanced mechanics' box in it. the Malachai - on the contrary (degens, mixed ele/phys attacks/spells bypassing 'ususal' defences etc)

i bet that any new player that completes the normal Lab is not going to have a serious issues with the game's difficulty till merc lab and then red maps

you have to teach new players somehow - otherwise they are all ranged offscreen copypasta heroes with 3200 hp running blue maps till they puke. it has to take 100s of blue tier 7-8 maps to reach 90. i saw people complaining about how unfair the lab is with lvl36 life flasks at lvl 80!!

as for your question: ive died once at normal and gained 1 level doing both runs (speed run it mostly) and gained 2 levels doing cruel (also died once but this time the layout incentivized me to explore it - guaranteed lab unique and i wanted my crank staff). did it at ~64 in merciless and also gained one level (and then several more as i found it to be more profitable area to level up than Dried Lake)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info