[HC Assassin] 2.6 Arc Miner build - Fast Clear + Very Low Budget!

"
Squatch wrote:
Howcome you don't go for Crackling Speed (right below the dex node you took) or the Saboteur node? Both seem like pretty big damage increases and really easy to path to based on the level 80 tree you posted. Am I missing something?

Necrol has answered this pretty well, but I will provide a little input as well.

Yes Saboteur is picked up late in the build (at least I recommend it should be). This is because you really need to get your defences up quickly on this, and you have enough damage with only the crit nodes.

Crackling Speed is quite nice, but certainly not amazing for the 4 points spent. It is something I may consider past level 94 or so, but even then it may be more beneficial to get the mana jewel slot as Necrol suggested, or getting some more mana and mana regen from witch (or templar). Mana is much more important than most people give it credit for! I would take a 400 ES chest with life and mana over a 550 ES chest any day :)
gg awesome guide
Last edited by vast777 on Sep 18, 2016, 1:13:10 PM
That's nice of you, it may help to say which league you are in and make your profile public though so people can have a look :)
hey, can tis build farm t15 tier maps?
It could certainly farm T15s before Atlas (although Core Malachi was rippy if you got frozen), and I expect nothing should have changed since then in general clear. Although bosses as always greatly depend on your own confidence - it is not a build where you can just facetank things :) Positioning and a decoy totem is key.
I'm currently using Shock Nova because for me the look and feel of a skill is the most important aspect and I dislike Arc. :p But is Shock Nova better or worse than Arc for raw damage?

In my mind it has the ability to be better, but nobody seems to be using it in any builds and that makes me skeptical. :) I play very casually, but I enjoy theory crafting a bit, but I find that quite challenging in PoE with so many different (imo poorly explained) mechanics interacting with each other.

Let me preface this and say that the thing I care the most about is single target damage because that's where I'm currently struggling. I know from trying both skills that Arc is generally safer because you can be further away from the enemies, but I play softcore and don't care about safety. :p

These are the very basic calculations I've based my conclusion on (numbers taken from http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com):

lvl 20 Arc
47-886 for 466,5 average damage per cast. Can't rely on multiple chaining hits per cast because we're only fighting 1 enemy.

lvl 20 Shock Nova
185-555 for 370 average damage per cast, but because enemies in the ring are hit for 150% damage it will be 555 average damage per cast if we position it correctly.

So is Shock Nova capable of doing more single target damage in this build than Arc or is there some game mechanics I'm not understanding?

Min-maxing my build isn't important to me, I just want to gain some knowledge about what makes viable builds in this game or why people ignore certain skills and pick others when they look so similar on paper. :p
"
TwiiK wrote:
Spoiler
I'm currently using Shock Nova because for me the look and feel of a skill is the most important aspect and I dislike Arc. :p But is Shock Nova better or worse than Arc for raw damage?

In my mind it has the ability to be better, but nobody seems to be using it in any builds and that makes me skeptical. :) I play very casually, but I enjoy theory crafting a bit, but I find that quite challenging in PoE with so many different (imo poorly explained) mechanics interacting with each other.

Let me preface this and say that the thing I care the most about is single target damage because that's where I'm currently struggling. I know from trying both skills that Arc is generally safer because you can be further away from the enemies, but I play softcore and don't care about safety. :p

These are the very basic calculations I've based my conclusion on (numbers taken from http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com):

lvl 20 Arc
47-886 for 466,5 average damage per cast. Can't rely on multiple chaining hits per cast because we're only fighting 1 enemy.

lvl 20 Shock Nova
185-555 for 370 average damage per cast, but because enemies in the ring are hit for 150% damage it will be 555 average damage per cast if we position it correctly.

So is Shock Nova capable of doing more single target damage in this build than Arc or is there some game mechanics I'm not understanding?

Min-maxing my build isn't important to me, I just want to gain some knowledge about what makes viable builds in this game or why people ignore certain skills and pick others when they look so similar on paper. :p

Well in the case of Shock Nova I would certainly not use it for general clear as it is far less safe, and Arc is considerably faster. However it was something I considered for a single target setup on weapon swap.

I will first get it out of the way and say generally yea Shock Nova > Arc for single target if you can place the mines in efficient places. Unfortunately there are several problems with Shock Nova if we are even comparing it to just Arc. For instance Shock Nova's base damage on a hit is considerably lower than Arc, which means that while it does more overall damage due to the extra hit, it will be much less likely to shock bosses. But as I am only considering it for single target on a weapon swap, you need to compare it to all the other skills that could be used which are designed far better for single target than Arc.

If you want 'melee' mines, then Fire Nova Mine and Bladefall are both considerably stronger than shock nova, so there is absolutely no reason to use Shock nova over these two options.

Even when compared to other possibilities that are not melee (Ice Spear, Arctic Breath, Frost Bolt) it does noticeably less damage than any of these (or in the case of arctic breath lacks the utility).

So from this there is no reason to use shock nova over any of these other options, as they are flat out better. If you are set on using a single mine for both single target and general clear, it would be a possibility with some changes to the skill tree for more AoE, but realistically it will feel far worse than Arc due to chasing any stragglers. The benefit you would gain is a relatively minor single target boost against very high hp enemies (that cannot be shocked by arc).

As for viability of builds, its all about the trade-off of damage vs survivability, and in the case of 'melee' mines its simply choosing the mine that will do the most damage - which is definitely not shock nova mines :(

That said, if min-maxing isn't important for you then simply go with what feels best for you. Give the other options a try and if you dont like it just go back to shock nova :)
Thanks for the detailed reply. :)

I didn't consider chance to shock and I just noticed Shock Nova has 10% less damage effectiveness as well, but at least you reassured me that I'm not completely clueless.

My build is all over the place at the moment because I want to try everything, but yours is one of my many references for a competent build which I may resort to if I want to try some of the endgame content.

can someone help o.O i have only 1.9k dmg, casts per sec 1.36, mine placement modifier 65% and laying speed is quite slow and i have no idea why. Hope you can help with that one
"
kozac wrote:

can someone help o.O i have only 1.9k dmg, casts per sec 1.36, mine placement modifier 65% and laying speed is quite slow and i have no idea why. Hope you can help with that one

Would you mind making your profile public so I can have a quick look at your passive tree etc? 1.9k is relatively low, but it may be that you just haven't got to the stage of the build where you are picking up all the damage nodes, or you may have missed something key :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info