[2.6] The Curse Whisperer - Tri-Curse CI Whispering Ice EleRaider - Viable for Everything

"
lilianmarius wrote:
Maybe someone with more experience regarding calculations can enlighten me if is worth to drop Fire penetration gem in favor of CtF gem

Build Theory - Offense - More details:
"
Fire Penetration is equivalent to 38-152% MORE damage depending on the enemy resists. It can make the target's resists negative, so against an enemy with no Fire resistance it makes their resistance go to -38% resulting in 38% MORE damage. A boss with max Fire resistance (hard capped at 75%) would take only 25% of incoming fire damage without penetration. But this gem penetrates 38% of it and makes them take 25+38=63% damage dealt, or 152% MORE.

FP is your best DPS gem for the endgame and especially the bosses.
"
lilianmarius wrote:

Made some tests with keeping 2x Perandus rings + AoF + CtF gem but dropping Fire Penetration gem in favor of CtF gem needed to run with 2x Perandus. DPS tool tip in this combo was 13641.5 in hideout with just the golem and 19062.5 with golem and EO . Also ES went up from 12009 to 12644 thanks to second Perandus ring

I ran some end game maps (T15-T16) and few Shaper runs with these 2 variants and cant say which is better. Maybe someone with more experience regarding calculations can enlighten me if is worth to drop Fire penetration gem in favor of CtF gem , and switch back to 2x legacy Perandus + AoF . For end game content (especially T16 Bosses + Shaper) does 39% Fire Penetration (changed with CtF gem) worth way more than 6k tooltip DPS (with golem and EO) lost when switching to Pyre ?

Penetration is really good when the enemy is tough. I'm not sure if I understood your numbers correctly: You have ~19k dps with golem and EO and you say you lose more than 6k with fire dps, so I guess your lower value is something like 12-13k? In that case fire penetration would need to result in roughly a factor of 1.5 (=50% more damage) to be equally good .

Depending on the enemies' base fire resistance and how high you can stack the scorching ray debuff, the usefullness of fire resistance varies:

Worst case scenario (top left table cell):
The enemy has a base resistance of 0 and you fully stack scorching ray (without killing the enemy already), then you only get a factor of 1.3 out of fire penetration (=30% more damage). This is certainly worse than your other option, but even this worst case is not horrible.

Even out scenario:
Most map bosses seem to have 30 elemental resistance (including Atziri), the 4 T16 map guardians and the shaper have 40. Depending on scorching ray the factor is about 1.39-1.60 (=39-60% more).

Best case scenario:
There is a map mod which gives +20, +30 or +40 to monster ele resistances (depending on the map tier) and there are non-boss monster that have up to 75 base fire res. Consequently the map boss can have 30+40 = 70 base fire resistance and monsters 75+40 = 115, those cases the fire penetration gem is extremely beneficial, with factors ranging from 1.66 (70 res, not in the table) up to 2.30. This equals 66-130% more damage, so you might gain more than double damage.

Conclusion / TLDR:
Fire penetration is most likely the better option. There are cases where you can gain a bit more with other gems, but you probably faceroll those enemies anyway. You will often encounter monsters where fire pen is about as good as other gems, so nothing is lost there. You can encounter very tough enemies where fire pen is highly beneficial, so you avoid running into enemies that take ages to kill.

"
Kelvynn wrote:

"
Fire Penetration is equivalent to 38-152% MORE damage ...

Your calculation is missing the 5% penetration from the ascendant's elementalist node and the effect of scorching ray.
"
aRTy42 wrote:

Penetration is really good when the enemy is tough. I'm not sure if I understood your numbers correctly: You have ~19k dps with golem and EO and you say you lose more than 6k with fire dps, so I guess your lower value is something like 12-13k? In that case fire penetration would need to result in roughly a factor of 1.5 (=50% more damage) to be equally good .

Depending on the enemies' base fire resistance and how high you can stack the scorching ray debuff, the usefullness of fire resistance varies:

Worst case scenario (top left table cell):
The enemy has a base resistance of 0 and you fully stack scorching ray (without killing the enemy already), then you only get a factor of 1.3 out of fire penetration (=30% more damage). This is certainly worse than your other option, but even this worst case is not horrible.

Even out scenario:
Most map bosses seem to have 30 elemental resistance (including Atziri), the 4 T16 map guardians and the shaper have 40. Depending on scorching ray the factor is about 1.39-1.60 (=39-60% more).

Best case scenario:
There is a map mod which gives +20, +30 or +40 to monster ele resistances (depending on the map tier) and there are non-boss monster that have up to 75 base fire res. Consequently the map boss can have 30+40 = 70 base fire resistance and monsters 75+40 = 115, those cases the fire penetration gem is extremely beneficial, with factors ranging from 1.66 (70 res, not in the table) up to 2.30. This equals 66-130% more damage, so you might gain more than double damage.

Conclusion / TLDR:
Fire penetration is most likely the better option. There are cases where you can gain a bit more with other gems, but you probably faceroll those enemies anyway. You will often encounter monsters where fire pen is about as good as other gems, so nothing is lost there. You can encounter very tough enemies where fire pen is highly beneficial, so you avoid running into enemies that take ages to kill.

"
Kelvynn wrote:

"
Fire Penetration is equivalent to 38-152% MORE damage ...

Your calculation is missing the 5% penetration from the ascendant's elementalist node and the effect of scorching ray.

Thank you very much for your detailed response and for that nice table that proper answer my question. I felt that after testing those 2 combinations the difference wasn't so big as it probably felt initially.
With no FP gem but with CtF gem + AoF node + 2x Legacy Perandus top DPS tooltip is exactly - 19062.5 (this with Fire Golem up + EO)

With Level 21 FP gem (39% fire pen) instead of CtF gem + Pyre + 1x Legacy Perandus top DPS tooltip is exactly - 13046.5 (this with Fire Golem up + EO)

When I dropped second Perandus I also lost about 600 ES and some Mana but this is not much if it is calculated from 12k+ ES.

I also felt that FP was way better when running endgame maps with +40% elemental resistances and it's also felt better when fighting fast bosses like Hydra where you can't cast SR continuously too much to apply it's entire -24% fire resistance debuff.

In the end as you also said it seems that FP is a better choice (coming in combination with Pyre ring it also boost my Fire/Cold resistances also) and I'll probably stick with it in my setup.

Thanks again for help and for making me understand this regarding Fire Penetration damage calculation and its usefulness in combo with SR fire resistance debuff
Last edited by lilianmarius on Jan 16, 2017, 5:05:04 PM
Hi there. Thank you for the great build. I really enjoy playing it!
Though, i hit level 90 today, i'm really struggeling with everything above T13 maps and i died often enough to level 89-90 at least 3 times. I can't reallly see a big improvement coming without spending xx Exalted (except for my boots which i have to final-upgrade yet). Especially i seem to do too low damage. Can you give me some tips? Maybe i just missed something important but can't find it. :) And which of the Damage values are important to compare at all? since there isn't a "DPS" value for Icestorm.

My Gear
Spoiler

Tree
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAAHnBAcJ2Q5IEFgRLREvEVARlhXXGGoabBzcHU8fAiBZIdApTyo4KwosnCy_LR8tqDW5NsU26DwFPV8_J0VHRmlGcUcGSshMs1F0UlNWSFZjWAdYr1ltXfJfKl9qX5hfsGZUbRluqm87b554DXgve257w3zlf8aCm4LkgwmD94TFhXuGrodliq-Mdo7pjxqPRo_6kBGTJ5UglyGX9Juhm7Wdrp48n8uhL6KjppmnCKcrpzCpbq-bsZC0DLUEtfK31r6Avoq-vMAawGbBfMHFwfPDOspGykrK088y0B_Q0NWm2CTbWdvn4q3kIuvk6-7sGOw473zv6w==?accountName=Backstageeingang&characterName=Doctra

Stats with Golem
Spoiler

I've been wanting to do this new Hall of Grandmasters for quite a while and figure out how to deal with the new version of mull_gubben and others. Got it done now, cleared it about 20 times to make sure I met and killed every one of those fuckers, repeatedly. Turned out there are only 2 special enemies there.

This is on my league Berserker, but the Scion is pretty much the same now after the switch to CwC.

New video: Hall of Grandmasters deathless full clear (Berserker)

Hall of Grandmasters is an awesome farm area IF you can clear it (hint: it drops sac frags and cards from Apex of Sacrifice/Alluring Abyss). It was very easy before 2.4 but then it got major upgrades and became much harder. Still, with some practice it can be cleared relatively easily with this build.

Bring flasks against everything: curse, ignite, shock, freeze, bleed. Chemist Sulphur (15/60) is the best because you don't get a lot of charges there, and the extra damage buff is nice.

Use AoE instead of CE. Area coverage and leech is really important there, tooltip damage is not.

Pre-cast Icestorm at the center point of each wave before triggering it. If there are statues: take 1 step forward to trigger the wave and move behind a statue. If no statues: leap forward to apply the curses faster.

Almost everything dies quickly, although in waves 9-10 they can sometimes get a lucky crit and 1-shot you before dying. But there are two special cases:

Kriath (wave 5-6): very strong CWDT retalliation with Fireball (MTX), Ethereal Knives (MTX) and Freezing Pulse. If you are not behind a statue, get away quickly. He is easy to kill from a distance and usually dies to the pre-cast Icestorms.

mull_gubben (wave 9-10): max block, impossible to leech from, destroys you with CWDT abilities for hitting him. DO NOT HIT HIM. Get away as fast as you can and kill him with Scorching Ray unlinked from Icestorm (no CwC). I bring a swap staff just for mull_gubben:

Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 20, 2017, 4:44:13 AM
Hello, first i wanna thank you coz this is the first build with which i could farm higher tier maps and so on.. But when comes to Shaper, i need 5 teleports to get him to 50% oneshot, oneshot, oneshot even with flasks.. :D Took same setup like u. What am i doing wrong? He just ignores every mitigation :D. at 8,7k ES atm. I won't probably repeat that again coz it's expensive :D maybe next league.But tips are welcome.. Thank you :)
Is it possible to skip Astramentis and go with Eye of Chayula instead? This would save a significant amount of passive points in exchange for about -90 to all attributes. It's probably quite difficult to make up for those lost stats, but I could see it possible in standard with the gained jewel sockets going toward Emperor's Mastery jewels or something.
i think with out Astramentis is hard to do the same damage....plus all of your dex and strenght in passive tree is transformed in intelect with the jewels....so you also need that strength and dex from astramentis for the skills requirement...
"
pingky wrote:
Is it possible to skip Astramentis and go with Eye of Chayula instead? This would save a significant amount of passive points in exchange for about -90 to all attributes. It's probably quite difficult to make up for those lost stats, but I could see it possible in standard with the gained jewel sockets going toward Emperor's Mastery jewels or something.

No, you need the STR and DEX for gems. Traveling to unwavering stance is also not a waste of passive points, you can convert a good portion of them into INT and pick up a +30 node. INT is what the build would pick with the spare points anyway, there is nothing to "fix" there.
Last edited by aRTy42 on Jan 24, 2017, 10:39:42 AM
"
radimmc wrote:
Hello, first i wanna thank you coz this is the first build with which i could farm higher tier maps and so on.. But when comes to Shaper, i need 5 teleports to get him to 50% oneshot, oneshot, oneshot even with flasks.. :D Took same setup like u. What am i doing wrong? He just ignores every mitigation :D. at 8,7k ES atm. I won't probably repeat that again coz it's expensive :D maybe next league.But tips are welcome.. Thank you :)

What are you getting 1-shot with? He doesn't even use the Slam in the first part of the fight. Are you staying at range instead of facetanking him? Are you not using PoI? Forgetting to plant the Orb near him for curses? Forgetting to put the Orb into the curse lnk?

Re-read the Boss Guide. The Shaper kill with the Scion goes exactly the same as with the Berserker in the video.

"
pingky wrote:

US costs 5 points (the rest give you Int which is what you need anyway). You can't get 90 Int for 5 points anywhere in the tree. And you won't be able to use high level red and green gems without Astramentis.

-----

Guide update: Dropped Deep Thoughts - it was a leftover from the pre-CwC era, we don't need the mana anymore. Everything is achieved 2 levels earlier now. Added the Hall of GM video.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 24, 2017, 4:51:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info