GhazzyTV - Essence Drain & Contagion (or Bane/Soulrend) Trickster [SC/HC/Uber Elder/Shaper]

"
exptesting wrote:

Could You give me some advice how to improve survival ability of my build?

First of all you have three curses? Temporal Chains, Enfeeble and Despair from your flask. You can't put more than one curse on mobs without putting points into Whispers of Doom in the passive tree (and with that you can have two curses, not three). Pick Despair (from Flask) plus Enfeeble OR Temporal Chains.

You need way more life and unreserved mana (mana to get the full effect from mind over matter = take your total life*0,428=the unreserved mana you should have) and more resistances.

I would advise you to change the following slots to rare ones with (in the best case) the follwing stats:
Helmet - life, mana, resistances (Essence Drain enchant from uber lab if you're rich)
Both rings and amulet - life, mana, resistances (spell damage or chaos damage if you'r rich)
Belt - life, resistances, abyss socket (abyss jewel should have maximum life and damage over time while holding a shield)

Also you should get a Tabula Rasa Chest corrupted with +1 to socketed gems. Should not be expensive anymore. But get rare items first with life, mana, resistances like stated above.

And change that Conqueror's Efficiancy jewel in your tree to a Spreading Rot.

Your skilltree looks different to the one in the guide. You could look over it again to do a few tweaks here and there. Don't put points into Potency of Will and the two points before IMHO it's not needed.
I've seen a couple of people saying drop "Potency of Will". Doesn't increased skill duration improve ED's damage?
Hi, I'm really enjoying this build.

What level should the skill gems be? Especially Clarity, I have no idea what to do with that. Here's what I understand so far:

Arcane Surge: match trigger to Contagion's mana cost. Should I aim for it to trigger every time I cast Contagion? Right now (character level 49) I tend to cast Contagion at least twice.
CWDT: 2
Immortal Call: 3
Clarity: ???
everything else: max

Also, the guide says to take Walk The Aether first, but it looks to me like the least good ascendancy node. I took Swift Killer first, and I'm thinking of taking either Weave the Arcane or Patient Reaper next. Would that be a mistake?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, I didn't want to browse through 212 pages of comments (is there a way to search one thread? I can't find it).
"
AgeVitam wrote:
(is there a way to search one thread? I can't find it).

You can use google search for that:
"
search term site:https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1625254
To AgeVitam's post, I recently hit lvl 20 with my gems and sat down to figure out what to pursue in terms of gem levels and quality.

Main Setup - I assume you have +1 to gems from your chest and thus am looking at the effective change from level 21 to 22 for the main gem setup.
Quality - The bonuses for quality are per 1%, so multiply by 3 for the difference between 20 quality and 23 quality.
Target - Lists the ideal gem level then the ideal quality.
Priority - Of course get what you can afford; you'll have to decide for yourself whether things like the level bonus from an Empower 4 (~5ex) is worth more than the 1.5% damage bonus from 20/23 main support gems (20-40c each). Gems with a 7 priority are the lowest simply because they cost next to nothing in time or currency. Priorities 2 add damage, while 3-6 are ranked based on my opinion of their added utility.
Prices - As per poe.ninja

Here's what I decided:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sokx-OTQiz0/WmfCyI4HAnI/AAAAAAAADQk/IZ8g74xzSG4QvH29zGLrSVJJSlfqiIE7QCJoC/w530-h469-n-rw/EDTricksGems.png

A few specific gem notes:
Contagion - I haven't noticed a lack of AoE in this build after mid-game and thus really don't value the quality bonus. But it's still a quality of life improvement, whereas Contagion's damage really doesn't matter. But feel free to stick with a 20/0 Contagion.
Increase Area Of Effect - Same thing as Contagion; AoE doesn't matter, but it's more important than Contagion's damage.
Arcane Surge - Level 8 has 14% Increased Spell Damage, which based on the combination of a lvl 20 Contagion, the mana multipliers of the other three support gems, and the reductions from gear/passives is the best I can do while having the damage boost proc every Contagion cast. There's plenty of room for adjustment based on your mapping speed / Arcane Surge damage boost sustain / Contagion final cast cost. But the Arcane Surge damage bonus only goes up 1% every two levels. The other two bonuses (cast speed and mana regen) are secondary. So pick lvl 8, 10 or 12 depending on your preference. One last note, the quality bonus is only for supported skills, and Contagion's damage doesn't matter.
Cast When Damage Taken - Each level increases how much damage must be taken for Immortal Call to proc. So it's a balancing act of figuring out what % of your current health pool you want to lose before you proc a 0.4 second invulnerability. I've seen arguments for 35%, 50%, and higher. So it comes down to your current health pool and preference. Note that the other CWDT stat, "Damage effectiveness" is not a consideration for this build.
Immortal Call - The level bonus only works if you're getting endurance charges from somewhere. The quality bonus doesn't matter since CWDT makes IC proc instantaneously.
Increased Duration - Making Vaal Lightning Trap last longer will increase the time that Shocked Ground is applied, making this a quality of life improvement on par with things like Contagion's AoE.
Vaal Lightning Trap - The quality bonus to cast speed is another small quality of life benefit. We don't care about the level bonus to damage as Shocked Ground is the point behind this gem.
Wither - The level bonus of AoE shouldn't be important at all since this spell should only be cast on single targets. The quality bonus to duration is another small quality of life benefit. Note however that if you were to have a +1 to Wither from your items (like Geofri's Crest or something) then the level bonus would be better, as it would add 1% to the hinder effect.
Spell Totem - Based on my testing, the speed at which the totem applies stacks of Wither is more important than 1% reduced damage taken by the totem (by a lot).
Shield Charge - The strength requirement of higher levels of this gem preclude using it for anything besides movement.
Fortify - This skill applies a 20% damage reduction regardless of the gem level. So again don't level it due to the increasing strength requirement per level.
Clarity - Lots of people drop this skill entirely since mana regeneration becomes less important the further into late game you get. Also, note that going from level 20 to 21 results in a 0.6 (3%) increase to the flat mana regen per second at the cost of a 14 (5%) increase in the mana reserved. Honestly though at 3k mana by level 80-90 it doesn't matter either way.
Blasphemy - This one is a toss up. On the one hand a 4% increase to Temporal Chains' AoE will increase your standoff range against bosses. On the other hand a 1.5% increase the effectiveness of TCs' hinder effect is nice. I opted for the extra AoE cushion, but feel free to go either way.
Enfeeble - I ran Temporal Chains this league. For those of you running Enfeeble, do your own homework :)
Last edited by kevinbrightblade on Jan 23, 2018, 10:25:07 PM
@ kevinbrightblade

Wow...thank you for this. You put a lot of work in to this and is very appreciated!

So Fortify supplies a damage reduction, we are not using it at all for the damage? Cause the difference between a lev 1 and a 19 is almost double. But if I can use a lev 1 and eliminate the need for all that str. That is awesome.
Last edited by Badtwo on Jan 23, 2018, 8:30:42 PM
"
Badtwo wrote:
@ kevinbrightblade

Wow...thank you for this. You put a lot of work in to this and is very appreciated!

So Fortify supplies a damage reduction, we are not using it at all for the damage? Cause the difference between a lev 1 and a 19 is almost double. But if I can use a lev 1 and eliminate the need for all that str. That is awesome.

Hey Badtwo, yes if you look at the Fortify Support description it gives a melee damage % increase and the Fortify buff (which is a constant 20% damage reduction no matter the level of the support gem). The melee damage % increase changes with Fortify Support gem level, but the damage reduction buff is fixed.

Shield charge damage is between 60% and 180% of your main hand damage depending on gem level and distance. But even with the damage effectiveness modifier of Shield Charge and Fortify at level 20 the damage isn't enough to kill map tier 1 mobs. Also the AoE for Shield Charge is pretty small. So using this setup for anything beside movement is incredibly inefficient.
"
AgeVitam wrote:
Also, the guide says to take Walk The Aether first, but it looks to me like the least good ascendancy node. I took Swift Killer first, and I'm thinking of taking either Weave the Arcane or Patient Reaper next. Would that be a mistake?

Walk the Aether is basically for more quality of life / a faster shield charge / faster mapping. I for one didn't take it at all.

"
I've seen a couple of people saying drop "Potency of Will". Doesn't increased skill duration improve ED's damage?

If ED is longer on the target it does more damage since it is damage over time. But white/blue/most yellow mobs die anyway on one ED and for bosses you just reapplay it. Also we already have 40% increased duration on our Breath of the Council so for me this is enough. I think I'd put points into it after droping BotC for a dagger.
"
"
Ghazzy wrote:

Looking truly solid :D Cheers for sharing!

Though Blight with Spreading Rot would increase the chaos dmg taken by the bosses which is insanely effective as it provides 25%*2 (50%) increased damage taken which is based of the final damage you're doing by applying Blight with 2x Spreading Rot Jewels!

That's the choice you have to make yourself. In my case going for 2 Spreading Rots means having over 500 less hp (from alternative jewels + gloves) combined with -40% to all resists and on top of this, i'm staying close to boss instead of keeping a long distance and fully concentratiing on dodging/evading attacks.

From my point of view, I prefer safety than killing boss 5 seconds faster:)

Valid points, here, have a cookie!
Jokes aside, this is what I love about this build so much, the versatility :)
Thanks again for sharing bro <3

---------------

@Badtwo:

Gogogo, gl!

"
kizzderose wrote:
Thanks @ Chedric+Ghazzy!
I think i will go for life/mana for now and maybe later Potency of Will ^^

Do so!
Keep us updated on your progress! :)

"
"
Tresiel wrote:
@kevinbrightblade Thanks a bunch for the help I went with a tree very similar to what you linked, I had been running 1.4k mana + low mana regen so long. When I switched I found I didn't need clarity at all.

Still need to upgrade gear but I'm working on it.

You're welcome!

Glad it's working out. :)

"
ooFunky wrote:
"
bitsymphony wrote:
Hey, guys. Any suggestions on what gems to 20/q20 first? I upgraded ED first because it really cheap, and it gave me a huge DPS boost. All other gems are pretty expensive. Any I should take first over others for DPS boosts?

Do you know you can vendor a level 20 gem along with a Gemcutters Prism to get the gem back with level 1 and 20% quality? You have to level them again but imho it does not take long and safes a lot of currency.

Also you have to buy a level 21 Essence Drain anyway sooner or later ;)

I usually say, which ever gives you the most DPS, though be careful not to flip them all at once or you'll sit with almost no dmg for a few maps :D

"
ooFunky wrote:
"
setcamper wrote:
Sorry, 1st time poster (well, maybe I posted way back in Beta).

Decided to pick PoE up again and (late) start in Abyss league. Picked up this build and I've been using this guide as well as a handful of others I've seen sprinkled around.

What's the best way for an experienced player to Audit my builds/gear/etc? I'm a little lost on the protocol on getting help around here, sorry.

Well you already set your profile to public so we can see your items and skilltree. That's all we need to know :) just ask your questions.

What ooFunky wrote!
Also, I'm not sure how the other content creators are doing with their guides but here's how my guides work, not to mention that I have the most build guides on the PoE website (braging rights confirmed Kappa):

* Posting questions and/or helping others is highly appreciated here on the forum thread
* Posting questions on the YouTube vids are also highly appreciated (I tend to prioritize YouTube when going through my round of responses)

Other sources of information that are available through my guides are:

* In-game Guild
* Twitch Stream
* My Discord Server

I hope you'll enjoy the build & help & welcome back!

"
ooFunky wrote:
"
exptesting wrote:

Could You give me some advice how to improve survival ability of my build?

First of all you have three curses? Temporal Chains, Enfeeble and Despair from your flask. You can't put more than one curse on mobs without putting points into Whispers of Doom in the passive tree (and with that you can have two curses, not three). Pick Despair (from Flask) plus Enfeeble OR Temporal Chains.

You need way more life and unreserved mana (mana to get the full effect from mind over matter = take your total life*0,428=the unreserved mana you should have) and more resistances.

I would advise you to change the following slots to rare ones with (in the best case) the follwing stats:
Helmet - life, mana, resistances (Essence Drain enchant from uber lab if you're rich)
Both rings and amulet - life, mana, resistances (spell damage or chaos damage if you'r rich)
Belt - life, resistances, abyss socket (abyss jewel should have maximum life and damage over time while holding a shield)

Also you should get a Tabula Rasa Chest corrupted with +1 to socketed gems. Should not be expensive anymore. But get rare items first with life, mana, resistances like stated above.

And change that Conqueror's Efficiancy jewel in your tree to a Spreading Rot.

Your skilltree looks different to the one in the guide. You could look over it again to do a few tweaks here and there. Don't put points into Potency of Will and the two points before IMHO it's not needed.

Don't forget that capping your elemental resistances is MANDATORY after act 5, or you will more or less always get one shot here and there.

"

It doesn't affect the actual damage, it only increases the duration the DoT is on the enemies making it do damage for a longer period of time (which is more damage in the end I guess but not directly).
It works very well for harder bosses if you need to kite as shown in the video as well. It's also very nice to maintain the "rotation" with 2x Spreading Rot => Blighting as well. It's generally a matter of taste.

"
AgeVitam wrote:
Hi, I'm really enjoying this build.

What level should the skill gems be? Especially Clarity, I have no idea what to do with that. Here's what I understand so far:

Arcane Surge: match trigger to Contagion's mana cost. Should I aim for it to trigger every time I cast Contagion? Right now (character level 49) I tend to cast Contagion at least twice.
CWDT: 2
Immortal Call: 3
Clarity: ???
everything else: max

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, I didn't want to browse through 212 pages of comments (is there a way to search one thread? I can't find it).

Hey,

Glad you're enjoying it bro!

Clarity, some people prefer not to use it all, I like using it at max lvl to help sustain the eHP granted by the unreserved mana.

Ascendancy wise is completely up to you. I think you'll like Patient Reaper next ;)

"
To AgeVitam's post, I recently hit lvl 20 with my gems and sat down to figure out what to pursue in terms of gem levels and quality.

Main Setup - I assume you have +1 to gems from your chest and thus am looking at the effective change from level 21 to 22 for the main gem setup.
Quality - The bonuses for quality are per 1%, so multiply by 3 for the difference between 20 quality and 23 quality.
Target - Lists the ideal gem level then the ideal quality.
Priority - Of course get what you can afford; you'll have to decide for yourself whether things like the level bonus from an Empower 4 (~5ex) is worth more than the 1.5% damage bonus from 20/23 main support gems (20-40c each). Gems with a 7 priority are the lowest simply because they cost next to nothing in time or currency. Priorities 2 add damage, while 3-6 are ranked based on my opinion of their added utility.
Prices - As per poe.ninja

Here's what I decided:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sokx-OTQiz0/WmfCyI4HAnI/AAAAAAAADQk/IZ8g74xzSG4QvH29zGLrSVJJSlfqiIE7QCJoC/w530-h469-n-rw/EDTricksGems.png

A few specific gem notes:
Contagion - I haven't noticed a lack of AoE in this build after mid-game and thus really don't value the quality bonus. But it's still a quality of life improvement, whereas Contagion's damage really doesn't matter. But feel free to stick with a 20/0 Contagion.
Increase Area Of Effect - Same thing as Contagion; AoE doesn't matter, but it's more important than Contagion's damage.
Arcane Surge - Level 8 has 14% Increased Spell Damage, which based on the combination of a lvl 20 Contagion, the mana multipliers of the other three support gems, and the reductions from gear/passives is the best I can do while having the damage boost proc every Contagion cast. There's plenty of room for adjustment based on your mapping speed / Arcane Surge damage boost sustain / Contagion final cast cost. But the Arcane Surge damage bonus only goes up 1% every two levels. The other two bonuses (cast speed and mana regen) are secondary. So pick lvl 8, 10 or 12 depending on your preference. One last note, the quality bonus is only for supported skills, and Contagion's damage doesn't matter.
Cast When Damage Taken - Each level increases how much damage must be taken for Immortal Call to proc. So it's a balancing act of figuring out what % of your current health pool you want to lose before you proc a 0.4 second invulnerability. I've seen arguments for 35%, 50%, and higher. So it comes down to your current health pool and preference. Note that the other CWDT stat, "Damage effectiveness" is not a consideration for this build.
Immortal Call - The level bonus only works if you're getting endurance charges from somewhere. The quality bonus doesn't matter since CWDT makes IC proc instantaneously.
Increased Duration - Making Vaal Lightning Trap last longer will increase the time that Shocked Ground is applied, making this a quality of life improvement on par with things like Contagion's AoE.
Vaal Lightning Trap - The quality bonus to cast speed is another small quality of life benefit. We don't care about the level bonus to damage as Shocked Ground is the point behind this gem.
Wither - The level bonus of AoE shouldn't be important at all since this spell should only be cast on single targets. The quality bonus to duration is another small quality of life benefit. Note however that if you were to have a +1 to Wither from your items (like Geofri's Crest or something) then the level bonus would be better, as it would add 1% to the hinder effect.
Spell Totem - Based on my testing, the speed at which the totem applies stacks of Wither is more important than 1% reduced damage taken by the totem (by a lot).
Shield Charge - The strength requirement of higher levels of this gem preclude using it for anything besides movement.
Fortify - This skill applies a 20% damage reduction regardless of the gem level. So again don't level it due to the increasing strength requirement per level.
Clarity - Lots of people drop this skill entirely since mana regeneration becomes less important the further into late game you get. Also, note that going from level 20 to 21 results in a 0.6 (3%) increase to the flat mana regen per second at the cost of a 14 (5%) increase in the mana reserved. Honestly though at 3k mana by level 80-90 it doesn't matter either way.
Blasphemy - This one is a toss up. On the one hand a 4% increase to Temporal Chains' AoE will increase your standoff range against bosses. On the other hand a 1.5% increase the effectiveness of TCs' hinder effect is nice. I opted for the extra AoE cushion, but feel free to go either way.
Enfeeble - I ran Temporal Chains this league. For those of you running Enfeeble, do your own homework :)

This. Is. Awesome.

Thank you for posting this! :)

Guides: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/ghazzy-guide-hub
YT: https://www.youtube.com/GhazzyTV
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/ghazzytv
Having a lot of trouble finding enough mana on gear to maintain the golden ratio of mana:health discussed throughout guide. Sitting just above 5k HP, but my total mana pool sits somewhere around 2k without an aura, and dips down around 1k with Enfeeble and Clarity (testing whether or not Clarity is even worth using).

Casually clearing Atlas, up to Tier 8 maps, and damage feels fine, but I get very scared whenever an Abyss pops and I have to fight 2-3 of those yellow mobs and I get surrounded. Hate dying because I end up losing too much experience and not leveling.

Any recommendations? This is my first "serious" character in PoE/League and I'm finding myself torn by all the information about the variation of this build. Also I have no idea how much I should be spending on item upgrades. Still squeamish on spending more than 5 or so Chaos, which is basically nothing to most players.

Approaching Lvl 20 on most gems- I see the post above about what to level but it's a little over my head and the link doesn't work. Prism everything related to damage?

EDIT: Also, is there a way to see character stats when looking at a profile? I can only find gear and passive skill tree?
Last edited by setcamper on Jan 25, 2018, 9:19:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info