[2.4] Mines over Matter - Lightning Warp Finally Viable!

I'm starting to feel that this build would be better off as hybrid instead of evasion. It already gets Written in Blood nodes, and paths really near some great ES nodes, like the one next to the Blast Radius nodes, as well as the one near Deep Wisdom. Secondly, it is a PAIN to socket blue/red gems in evasion gear. I find myself cutting off support gems so as to not spend an extra 200+ chromatics to get the right colors. You can really get a decent amount of ES, 2500+, and keeping like 4k life.

I tweaked the skilltree a bit, level 83 one: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYCAAQHBLMGdwceCPQJIA5IDo4RLxFQEZYRwhZvGmwbJR1PHvAfAh9bIvQjXySqKwo1uTY9NsU26TwFPV9FfEW5SVFJsUuuTLNSU1MxVEdUYlVLVcZWSFq5XfJh4mKsaPJqQ2wLbIxtGXBRcNR2b36wf8aCm4PbhHeFMosOjDaTJ5Uul5WXl5f0mjudqp2undmexJ_foEOhL6IAo6OmvqcIpyu0DLQ4tMW1SLd1vorAVMBmwcXK09Wm18_YJNhU2Vvb5-Nq5CLlGekC62Pr7u087hXvfO-I8B_w1fk3-aT79Q==

I took the jewel node for Clear Mind, think it's worth it. Also, I got rid of the Quick Recovery nodes, in favor of the Melding nodes. Not sure if this was a good idea...
Last edited by Fire309 on Apr 2, 2016, 4:34:57 PM
Hybrid Life/ES can absolutely be done. I personally don't like it for a couple of different reasons.

1) Splitting defense types reduces their value as opposed to focusing on them. For instance MoM does not trigger when only ES is damaged, the status issues with a lower life pool, Needing different forms of recovery for each defense type, that sort of thing.

2) Starting a league with ES focus is a mess compared to life focus. Doable, but a mess.

3) Hybrid always feels like an intermediate step between focusing full out on a specific defense. Going full ES via CI or Shavs allows ghost reaver and Zealots Oath to be fully utilized, likewise going straight life is the best way to maximize defenses like MoM, EB, Acrobatics, etc.

Can hybrid be done? Absolutely. I just don't like it.

/Edit
I just realized I've been calculating Mind over Matter incorrectly this entire time, and MoM is better than I thought.

Max MP should be 43% of max HP, not 30%, and this means closely examining the skill tree, and how it relates to life and mana gear.
Last edited by pieceofsoap on Apr 2, 2016, 7:06:22 PM
So if you need that much MP, does that mean we should go for Weave the Arcane, instead of Shade Form? And is the reason why you don't have evasion gear because you can't really get the right colors? I'm thinking either:

1) Chop off a few supports to make coloring within ~50 chromatics or so
2) Go with your gear and choose easy-to-color gear

EDIT: Maybe with option 2 we could just pop a jade flask all the time?
Last edited by Fire309 on Apr 3, 2016, 11:21:07 AM
I've been on Weave the Arcane since I first cleared Merciless lab, and have reccomended it over Shade form for the purpose of Mind over Matter since the beginning. The reason my evasion gear isn't very good is that I've been prioritizing resists and life, and doing rares almost entirely self-found. The best tri-res helm and gloves I've found have been pure ES, (Not huge ES, just good secondary mods) the ideal pieces to use would by hybrid ES/Evasion since they are the easiest to color properly. The only slot that I've blown a ton of chromatics on is my Atziri's feet, I used the 285 chrome Vorici recipe for 3 red on those.

The only piece that I would dread to color is using a Bronn's Lithe over a Carcass jack.

Recently I swapped out my l20 corrupted wrath for a Grace, just for the sake of leveling the gem. Its now at level 16+2 and I really do not notice much difference defensively, I'll keep at it until it hits level 20, though at the moment its a step down from running wrath.

Quartz Flask is better than Jade flask, and I already run mine quite a bit. Run both if you want, but melee damage was never a problem and spells are generally more dangerous than ranged attacks. Quartz reduces all incoming, Jade only reduces 2, and one of those is irrelevant.

As for how I changed my personal build after noticing I was calculating my target max MP incorrectly, all I did to correct the issue was to drop a couple of lesser HP nodes, one in melding and a couple non-path 5% nodes, and then take Dreamer and Deep Thoughts. Net gain of about 500 HP, I'm now sitting at about 6700 effective max HP.

In the suggested pathing, all the way up to level 89, the HP/MP ratio is actually roughly on target, being in the 41%-44% max MP range. Completely naked, no extra MP nodes are needed. But after Twilight Strand in Normal, who plays this game naked? The imbalance between max HP and target max MP stems from the difference in gear, and the fact that people just don't go out of their way to get +MP gear. Turns out we should, saves points on the passive skill tree.
Do you think Clear Mind (spending 1-2 points for a jewel node) is worth it? I mean, I can't run Wrath or HoT, so I think I need just a little to compensate.
I don't think Clear Mind is worth it when we can run gems like this:

Unfortunately the Arming, Enlightened, and Vivid affixes are all prefixes, so we cannot get max life, max mana, and mine laying speed on the same jewel.

Clear mind is great for pure damage, but it adds almost no utility.
I don't know about you, but I don't need any more pure damage nodes. The incidental pure damage nodes on the tree while pathing towards utility are more than enough, what I'm currently working on is how to squeeze in the last curse cluster, which was somewhat delayed by taking max mana nodes after reevaluating Mind over Matter.

Clear mind is a wonderful jewel, but we can do better.
Why does MoM boost EHP by 43%, instead of 30%? Is this for all builds, or just for this one?
MoM boosts effective max HP by a maximum of 43% for all builds, assuming MoM's value stays the same. Its because of the way its calculated. I wrote up a little bit on why in the math section on page 1 a couple days ago, the wiki has more detailed math. Said extra math only matters when a different amount of mana is removed before life, for instance with the old Cloak of Defiance, or the Divine Guidance passive from one of the Templar Ascendancies.
Last edited by pieceofsoap on Apr 6, 2016, 6:10:21 AM
awesome build!
Hi.

I've to say THANK YOU for this great build.
It's the first buils since months that is fun enough for me to Play longer than lvl 65.

I've so much fun, it is so cheap and it is really strong and fast! Best build ever!
Thanks again!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info