[2.4] Mines over Matter - Lightning Warp Finally Viable!

Hello and greetings!

I tried several builds (unsuccessfully ^^ ) in Legacy Hardcore for the lvl90 + Merc Malachai achievements and yours is the build for my current character at lvl69 going strong.

I still chuckle all the time while dumping "Death from above" on my enemies and have generally a really good time overall. My gear is decent, life, mana and resists are good, evasion a bit lacking.

My next two big upgrades are getting a better Tremor and 5-linking it plus getting gear so good that I can switch to the unique boots.
After that I'll check how to get 2 curses + wrath running, not sure about Whispers of Doom or +1 corrupted Amulet. I think, chances are very low that I get gear good enough to drop my second ring for Doedres Damning.

Things I did a bit different while leveling:
* I went for survivability first and then damage/AoE (it's HC afterall) as I found the damage of the mines even in a 4L good enough for everything up to Merciless Voll (haven't tried Kaom, Daressos and the other Merc-Bosses so far, as I don't feel the need at lvl69 - that can wait till lvl90 for my sake).

* I put blind into my OoS until I finished AoE nodes. I got the impression, that the AoE was not big enough to overlap at that time, so i figured that blind offered the better survivability for now.

* I put Temp Chains into the CwDT-Setup (CwDT-IC-IncDur-TempChains) to make getting out of harms way a bit easier. Also curses working on the target that damaged you, meaning those pescy ranged mobs can also get cursed.

What I will try while getting to 90:
* The CwDT-Setup: I'll change to phase run from Temp Chains, as I think that unhindered movement, reduced visibility and increased movement speed are really good survivability improvements + the mines benefit from it, too. Detonate Mines never got me enticed, so I looked for something else.

* Having in your statement in mind, that flat lightning damage is not doing too much (like Added Lightning Support), I'll probably try Doedres Damning instead of Essence Worm+Wrath, as soon as I got a second 5-link on my chest. Damage will still be good and having the flexibility with 2 curses for different mobs and map-mods might come in more handy than extra damage. (I have about 20% difference in tooltip-damage comparing mine damage with and without wrath)

In the end it boils down to: keep damage up while increasing survivability.
I can say, this build is absolutely HC-viable and I look forward to 3.0. both SC and HC

Cheers!
Last edited by haensel on Jun 30, 2017, 4:33:39 AM
With 3.0 getting closer and closer and more and more info being revealed, how do you think this build will fare in 3.0?
Things are looking up for 3.0.0 release.

The build works fine as of 2.6, and its not going to be breaking anytime soon. The only changes that may come are positive, the pantheon system will make for more defensive options, Arcane Surge can be implemented somewhere, and new life mods on gear are great. Who knows, maybe it will be comfortable to play with an Xbox controller and we will see an influx of new players trying it out.

On a different note, Haensel prompted me to look at additive spell damage options a bit more, and it turns out there is one great option in the form of a boot enchant. The mod in particular is "Adds 1 to 160 Lightning Damage if you haven't Killed Recently" Since our Mines do the heavy lifting and the only kills we get are though Orb of Storms, its up almost all the time, especially vs bosses. In all it should be at least a 12% increase in damage over time!
Sounds awesome. I remember I tried this build once before, but didn't get far with it. I kind of messed up and then just stopped playing whatever league it was altogether. I'm thinking about playing it in 3.0 though, it should be fine as a starting build, right?
Yeah, it works fine as a league starter, I ran it again for the 2 week Turmoil race. You can go LW mines as early as level 8, but it doesn't get truly good until you hit level 45 with Trickster ascendancy and Tremor rod. I can say from personal experience LW mines without Walk the Aether aren't fun to play, and Tremor Rod makes a world of difference.

Level with Fire Nova Mine, or some other skill until you clear Normal Lab, at which point start playing with LW, then once you hit 45 grab Tremor Rod and never look back.

The only things you need to trade for are a Detonate Mines gem and Tremor Rod, and you can get both for less than 2 chaos. This build is ridiculously cheap to start out with.
Doing this build currently in 3.0. Got a 5L ES chest atm since Carcass Jack is pretty expensive this league. What do you think about tri-curse setup using Whispers of Doom + Doedre's or double curse + Knockback?
I seem to be having a bug. The mines don't trigger so far with Kitava I cant even manually detonate them. And now Arakaali, same deal they won't trigger and I can't even manual detonate them.
I'm about to post it in the bug thread I think.
Anyone else played this build in 3.0 yet?
"
Mammoman wrote:
I seem to be having a bug. The mines don't trigger so far with Kitava I cant even manually detonate them. And now Arakaali, same deal they won't trigger and I can't even manual detonate them.
I'm about to post it in the bug thread I think.
Anyone else played this build in 3.0 yet?

Yup, I had this problem with act 5 and 10 Kitava and Arakaali. Had to switch to something else.
"Fixed various bugs with several skills that were preventing them from targeting Kitava."

I haven't played MinesOverMatter since 3.0 launched, does this sound like the fix you guys were looking for?
wanted to start by saying this build is my favorite tbh and ive been using it for a while even in 3.0 it still works great. I was thinking https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Coated_Shrapnel might be a nice inclusion even tho we dont do physical dmg it scales with our mine damage which is a nice chunk and it applies once per hit which is 3 times each teleport or 6times if u hit them in the sweetspot so i think u can rack up some serious poison stacks and temporal chains increases the debuff duration aswell. ive been testing it inplace of a standard minelaying speed/life/some sorta dmg jewel

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info