2.3 Pathfinder - CoC Blocker 9.5k ES 71% block 75% Spell block Uber/Core Viable [Videos inside]

This is my first guide, for ascendancy I chose to play Pathfinder because of the options to have Surgeon's mod on all my flasks, I picked CoC cyclone to provide the highest amount of crits possible to refil all my flasks.

2.3 changes
Spoiler
Nothing related to this build was nerfed, and we now have access to 2 more ascendancy points, hope everyone will continue to enjoy the build

This build can be made with many variations such as life/hybrid/CI

My own character is utilizing CI to become chaos immune as a final layer of defense.

Videos
Spoiler

Videos from Build creator
Uber Vaal boss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVhMP7KCPE
Uber Trio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_jHfTbgnY
Necropolis map with 2x Damage mod and 2 player health https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaWFCmPB8Co

T15 colosseum vuln + no curse feat. the CoC Blocker https://youtu.be/Btn7X1RENEA
T15 kaom kill - increased life https://youtu.be/SFWurK7ntfo
T14 conservatory, vuln + enfeeble + frenzy charges https://youtu.be/88CbZZQVEuM
T15 Twinned Core https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsoZ_5W7A_I
T15 Core full clear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr9YMQy74Bg
Community videos
Gorge Run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQIkwifIvw
Atziri Run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYoGyroBuQw&feature=youtu.be
Twinned Core Hard mods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZP6DPaP9JQ&feature=youtu.be
Uber lab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXnuNsFf1X0

Mapping

This build can run almost any map mod due to the layered defence, I only reroll physical reflect, Blood magic and No leech maps.
You should be able to carry several people with this build easily as it does so much dps, If team mates deal a lot of damage it can cause a bit of problem with generating power charges through assassin's mark though.

For no regen maps I remove my Arctic Armour to have higher unreserved mana so I dont go OoM by accident.

PRIMARY Attack set up

For my CoC I use:
5-link Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Bladefall - Blade vortex - Increased Critical Strike chance
6-link Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Bladefall - Blade vortex - Increased Critical Strike chance - Controlled destruction/empower/conc effect

The reason I use controlled destruction is to avoid increasing my Cyclone's mana cost and it provides a big damage boost at a neglectable crit reduction cost.
See the spoiler below for calculations and considerations regarding the 6th link

6th link options
Spoiler
Regarding the lvl 4 Empower vs Conc Effect vs Cont Dest:

Empower:

Bladefall changes from 380-570 to 500-750 from lvls 20-23 for 31% MORE damage (since this is multiplied by the increased and the more damage modifiers, it works identically to a more damage modifier). This is spell damage, so it doesn't double dip for poison

BV goes from 108-162 to 131-197 for 21% more damage, not a huge change since BV isn't our main source of damage.

It has a 125% mana multiplier.

The exact effect this would have on your damage depends on your crit chance and stuff, but it'd be a safe assumtpion to calculate it around 35% MORE damage.
It has to be considered that if using a pure blue chest (only int requirements) this gem would force you to run 5-off colours... Along with the price of the gem itself (11ex) this might be a pricey choice.

Controlled destruction:

Cont destruction sports a 44% MORE damage, but it comes at the price of 100% reduced (so it's substracted from increased modifiers you have) critical chance, which will mostly end up affecting flask recharge rate, this is significant against single targets. Note that this is spell damage, it doesn't double-dip for poison.

It has a 130% mana multiplier.

Concentrated effect:

Conc effect gives you 59% MORE damage, this is area damage so poison double-dips from it (for an insane 150% MORE poison damage).

It comes at the drawback of the 25% LESS area of effect, this hurts a bit since it also decreases the effect of the Blast Radius nodes we were picking up on the witch side of the tree. It hurts the clearing speed but greatly increases the DPS.

It's important to note, a smaller area increases the overlap area of bladefall waves, giving a potential (and really hard to calculate) increase in single-target DPS.

It has 140% mana multiplier.

So, in conclusion:

Empower gives you the least damage of the three choices, in exchange for less mana multiplier. This is also the most expensive choice currency wise (11ex for the gem, and then some for colouring your chest).

Conc effect gives you the most damage of the three choices (by FAR), in exchange for less AoE for clearing and the highest mana multiplier of the three.

Cont destruction gives you a happy medium of damage and manacost, with the drawback being that less crits means that flasks are recharging a bit slower.

As a final note:

Each Bladefall wave deals 380-570 while Ethereal Knives deal 459–688, this means that if enemies are getting hit by a single wave, socketing EK instead of a support represents 120% MORE damage increase, if it's getting hit by two waves it becomes 60% MORE damage, and on the RARE case of a mob getting hit by three waves it becomes a 40% MORE damage increase, all while giving you additional crit procs for flask refill, and on a 100% mana multiplier (so the least mana cost of ALL choices).

This makes EK as a third spell comparable in damage to Conc effect, with less mana multiplier and no AoE penalty, and additional crit instances. It's almost strictly better than Cont destruction (Visibility is a huge factor here though, you have to know what's going on). Though getting 5 greens on a Vaal Regalia sounds like a pain.

Offensive stats

Spoiler

Defensive stats

To survive in high maps and Atziri, I utilize this combo:

With these 4 items and pathfinder flask effectiveness I can Achieve 71/75% block and 59% damage reduction chance without any passive points invested into block or defences.

Spoiler

Aura + Gem set-up

For movement I use:

3-link Whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify

For defensive I use:

3-link CWDT (lvl 3) - Immortal call - Vaal Discipline

4-link CWDT (lvl 3) - Tempest shield - Flame Golem - Power charge on critical strike chance
Power charge on critical strike chance on tempest shield is my attempt to generate power charge on single target before I buy skyforth.

4-link Blasphemy - Assassin's Mark - Enlighten - Discipline

3-link Vaal Discipline - Vaal Discipline - Increased Duration

1-link Arctic Armour

Passive skill tree

My passive skill tree focuses on getting flask nodes, Critical strike chance, Physical damage and high ES.
The jewel socket next to pain attunement should have energy from within grating up to 27% increased energy shield, other jewels focus on getting the generic "increased damage" which double dips on poison, and otherwise stats such as spell damage/physical damage/attack speed with dagger/Inc energy shield
For my Ascendancy I pick the Pathfinder and take Master Surgeon, as well as Herbalist in order to have a "free" poison gem.

From Bandit I picked:
Skill Point (kill all) / Attack Speed (Kraityn) / Power charge (Alira)

Current gear set up

Like any other CoC cyclone set up you need vagan dagger with "hits can't be evaded" in order to skip all accuracy rolls on your crits.
Boots and shield are reserved for spell block conversion, but they can be changed around if other items such as stone of Lazhwar are desired. I just try to focus on achieve at least spell block cap with very high regular block.

I use ming's heart as an offensive ring because it gives my physical spells extra chaos damage so I can apply more poison when I hit. This could be swapped with a Diamond ring to cap resistance more easily and potentially craft 20% ES.

FOR COLOURING OF YOUR CHEST

If you bought a white 6 link regalia or used "the ethereal" card, then its recommended to alt your chest until u get "reduced attribute requirement" this will allow you to colour the chest more easily. the preferd method is to use vorici's at least 2 green and should average around 600-700 chromes. GL :)

New Addition

Boots will allow me to sustain power charges more easily as well as being able to change my arctic armour into a curse due to the +1 curse from my amulet

Flask set-up

I use Vessel for massive Life and Mana leech, the mana leech is especially helpful during single target where mana from Assassin's mark is not reliable.
I use Rumi's to cap my blocks.
I use Diamond flask to increase my critical strike chance in order to have very big crit chance for both cyclone and spells, It has been rolled with "of grounding" to remove shock from Vinktars.
Next flask is Atziri flask, it provides huge amount of damage in the form of EXTRA chaos which applies even more poison damage to the target, but also very good leech while vinktar's is being refilled.

Last flask can be Basalt if you want defensive measure or onslaught if you want move clear speed, quicksilver, quartz, smoke bomb, and bismuth are all flasks which u can juggle in your last slot, as long as they have freeze removal.
Most commonly i have basalt for the dangerous maps, onslaught flask for easy maps and bismuth for ele weakness maps.

I have skipped taste of hate because for mitigation it provides less than Basalt and the cold damage also does not scale with my physical/poison theme. I also need 2 non unique flask so I can have shock and freeze immunity.

Feel free to ask any questions about the build or mechanics here on the forums or in-game, i'd love to see the community's imput and how to optimize/improve my set up.

If anyone has any rippy map challenges i'd be happy to try my build out, as long as the mods mentioned earlier isnt on.
Last edited by Nekhebet on Jun 14, 2016, 9:38:44 AM
Last bumped on Mar 2, 2017, 5:01:11 AM
Nice setup, I'm rerolling something very similar with my next character.

How do you remove Curses? Maybe I'm missing something.

Is Ming giving very much damage? Because a good setup could be the new Heretic helmet (blasphemy helmet) running 2 curses and discipline, using a Doedre instead of Ming, probably vulnerability is giving more damage than the Ming and could be also swappable for enfeeble for really hard maps, oh and also +15% ES xD

Where is the uber Atziri video? :D

Thanks for sharing
How did you level your character? when did you switch.

Edit: might want to add the ascension you are using into the passive tree.
Last edited by Moksu on Mar 14, 2016, 11:40:09 AM
"
oRieLLi wrote:
Nice setup, I'm rerolling something very similar with my next character.

How do you remove Curses? Maybe I'm missing something.

Is Ming giving very much damage? Because a good setup could be the new Heretic helmet (blasphemy helmet) running 2 curses and discipline, using a Doedre instead of Ming, probably vulnerability is giving more damage than the Ming and could be also swappable for enfeeble for really hard maps, oh and also +15% ES xD

Where is the uber Atziri video? :D

Thanks for sharing

I currently can't remove any curses, and I agree with you that It could be good with using vulnerbility, im currently waiting to buy skyforth so I can swap assassin's mark to vulnerbility for more damage.

Still trying to record a uber video but I want to show one deathless which i only got once so far, but since fragment prices are increasing and drops prices are decreasing im not sure whether or not to continue farming it
"
Moksu wrote:
How did you level your character? when did you switch.

Edit: might want to add the ascension you are using into the passive tree.

I leveled with blade vortex until level 50 where i could use my vagan dagger and started doing CoC blade fall, at lvl 69 i could equip all my CI gear and respecced to CI at that point
Posted a few updates regarding flasks and passive tree
Hey man nice build! Quick 2 questions:

1/ How often can you keep your Vinktar up both in map and boss fight.
2/ Would you get more damage replacing controlled destruction with EK? I assume getting 5G on an ES chest is the main problem.
Would -mana cost rings work with this?
Thinking about rolling this for PHC, what would be your recommendations on hardcore-viability (especially as CI/Hybrid) assuming I can get to 80 safely in PHC. Would you consider trickster instead of Ranger?

I may consider doing PSC with it instead in its current form.
"
Hey man nice build! Quick 2 questions:

1/ How often can you keep your Vinktar up both in map and boss fight.
2/ Would you get more damage replacing controlled destruction with EK? I assume getting 5G on an ES chest is the main problem.

In maps I can have vinktar up all the time due to the increased amount of flask charges gained, and on bosses where I can go all out dps it also has 100% update due to blade vortex crits refilling it.

This is purely speculations, but without controlled destructions the other spells would also crit more and I would haver more spell hits to refil flasks, but you are right, 5 green on vaal regalia is just so expensive.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info