Pros and Cons to this build:

Pros:

Insanely fun to play

You can go afk/crash in a pack and still probably clear it

Other peoples reactions to your build

Surprisingly tanky, if you dont get one shotted, that is

Can use all your skill MTX in one build

Can kill yourself in someones hideout if they refuse to map/trade with you

No crazy 8 unique requirements, just the harvest and doedres flasks are really needed.

Cons:

Early onset arthritis from constant flask usage

Probably kicked from some parties

Not many people want to map with you

1. Intro
Welcome to my 2.2 Drunk Templar build guide thread. This is a truly unique build that started out as something hilarious by Dimeq here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1117550 but hasnt been updated for the brand new Ascendancy expansion. I set out to make a viable 2.2 version and have coined it appropriately, the Drunk Templar.

So how does the build work?
Whenever we take a sip of
we take 10% of our maximum life as chaos damage. This is affected by your chaos resistance and counts towards cast when damage taken gems.The ES lost to the flask does not, however, count towards CWDT gems, limiting the build to life based only. In merciless with -60 chaos resistance, it would take a minimum of 3300 life to activate level 1 CWDT gem, which then fires a lot of skills. Those skills usually crit and refill your flasks thanks to the harvest, allowing you to continue the cycle.

2. Levelling
DISCLAIMER:AS A CONSEQUENCE OF NEEDING CHAOS RES TO BE NEGATIVE, YOU CAN NOT VIABLY LEVEL AS THIS BUILD UNTIL MERCILESS
Level 1 -> Merciless
I leveled as a selfcast discharger, as the tree can share quite a bit of overlap (Spell crit + aoe) and swapped once i got a harvest in merciless difficulty. If you choose to level this way i found dual wielding
to be very effective, and used them up until i swapped builds. Ultimately, level as what you see fit, but keep in mind the regret respec costs if youre doing something very different skill wise.

Ascendancy Classes
Inquisitor is perfect for this build, its definitely the best choice out of all classes. It gives you crit multi, ele dmg, and most importantly ignoring resistances on crit. Thats a huge dps boost for this build. I tried out hierophant for illuminated devotion, and while it was fun, you only really get to use 2/6 points for something effective in hierophant. Inquisitor is the only real choice overall.

Go Righteous Providence -> Inevitable Judgement -> Augury of Penitence

Fresh into merciless 75 points
http://poeurl.com/zAV this is the earliest you should start this build. Remember you need to reach a certain threshold life/chaos res to proc your CWDT's. Life Needed = 528/(Chaos damage multipler X .1)(If you have -60 res this is 1.6 since you take 1.6x the initial hit)

Grabbing Jewel Slots 109 points
http://poeurl.com/zWc this is my current tree, from here you can either grab more jewel slots for 3 points each, grab conduit if you party (but if you play this build odds are no one wants to party with you) or grab more life (make sure you keep your chaos res as high as possible but still activate cwdt's)

Bandit Choices
Normal/Cruel/Merciless all passive points. We dont use an extra power charge because our discharge is set to go off after 3 flask drinks, which only gives us 3 of each charge. If you want to use extra power charges use a higher level CWDT gem in the discharge setup, but i find level 11 cwdt to be ideal.

Jewel Stats
General spell crit > specific elemental spell crit > area damage > specific elemental damage

3. Gear

This is my current gear in perandus softcore

Gear

Flasks

The harvest is necessary and voidbringers are pretty much free crit chance, so id definitely recommend them. Look for crit chance on jewelry and life/resistances on the rest of the gear. Consider the base of the item when looking for gear because you often need 1 red and the rest blue or green slots.

I have now switched to lightning coil and enjoy the extra bit of physical reduction it offers.A rare chest with life and resistances is always a decent choice when you cant afford the more expensive unique chests.Carcass jack is a viable option as well if youre looking for more dps. Volls protector isnt great because we only discharge when we mit max power charges anyways. Bloodgrip amulet is a choice if you're looking for more life from flasks.Honorable mention to the writhing jar, pretty fun to use, allows you to constantly be chugging flasks even when no mobs are around. Sub it in for a divine flask and use it as if it were one.

4. Gems
Gems are a crucial part of this build, and it is important you have enough gems with enough crit chance so that you constantly refill your flasks, even against a single target. There are many gems to choose from and these are some that i recommend in no specific order. Try to use as many as possible.

Auras
Herald of Thunder + Herald of Ice + Anger for 100% mana reservation. We dont need mana to cast our skills and need the added ele dmg for dps. Wrath is a option over anger.

The gems

Level 1 CWDT Gems

Curse should either be poacher's mark or warlords mark, depending on if you feel you need the leech vs need the flask charges.
Freezing Pulse - 6% base crit and 125% damage effectivenessArc - 5% base crit and 70% damage effectiveness but guarantees multiple hits on a pack
Firestorm - 6% crit but hits multiple times, even on single target
Glacial Cascade - 5% crit 60% effectiveness but hits multiple enemies with a very large size due to the aoe we pick up
Ethereal knives - 6% crit, hits many enemies
Spark - 6% Crit, hits multiple enemies
Blade vortex - 6% crit, hits many enemies in close range, especially useful vs bosses for flask upkeep
Bladefall - 5% crit , decent aoe
Ice nova - 6% crit with a giant aoe
Shock nova - 6% crit with a giant aoe
Ball lightning - 5% crit but really low damage effectiveness, can hit multiple times to make up for it
Flame Surge - 6% crit, kinda like freezing pulse

Feel free to mess around with supports like GMP / LMP and increased crit strikes

Could be some other skills i am missing, the main thing is that you use enough gems to keep your flasks filled and get dps out of your auras.

Level 11 CWDT Gems
We have an alternate level CWDT mainly for discharge. At level 14 the gem can actually output DPS and in a level 11 CWDT it goes off every 3 flask uses. Which also means it goes off right as you reach max charges, giving larger dps. Hook it up to dps support gems or lifeleech if you feel you need it.

Vaal Molten Shell
Every time we sip from doedres flask it triggers vaal molten shell, leading to insane single target dps combined with our other skills. It is definitely recommended to carry one. Recommended you support it with conc effect and lifeleech.

5. Q&A

FAQ

List will expand as i get more questions on the thread

Q: Can i do this build as scion? A: Yes, the build is doable on many classes but you lose out on the inquisitor ascendancy class which offers a huge dps boost.

Q: Why is your discharge in a level 11 CWDT setup? A: So that i drink my flask 3 times, thus gaining 3x 3 charges total, before discharging for higher dps.

Q: Reflect? A: I Barely notice reflect, and as long as you cant one shot yourself you flask back to full anyways.

Q: Can i make an es based version of this build? A: Doedres flask is much harsher on ES than life, and the ES based damage it deals to you doesnt count towards CWDT gems, so sadly it is impossible.

Q: Izaro enchants? Take what you can get on boots, life leech is ideal. Aim for something more utility based on the helm, as something like increased (x skill) damage doesnt do much. Discharge aoe or additional arc chains is a good example of this. Gloves can be whatever, watch out if you get a physical dealing one, as you might take some damage from physical reflect you otherwise wouldnt expect.

Some parting tips/reminders:

You can play with your chaos res depending on your HP so that you take as little as possible from doedres flask while still activating your gems.

Depending on level and if you dont care about quality, you can go on a shopping spree at normal difficulty vendors for most of the gems.

It is easier to color es/ev base items for the CWDT setups.

Make sure the elemental gems in your voidbringers are 1 level below what theyre supposed to be for the cwdt, so that way the +1 gems doesnt over level it outside of the CWDT range.
Videos

Not many videos yet but i plan on adding more soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42yEZqJKuCU

Message me in game @ItsAClownFiesta. Thanks for checking out the build!

edit log
3/14/16 updated current gear + gear info a bit
Last edited by xSCII on Mar 16, 2016, 3:09:52 PM
Last bumped on Aug 16, 2016, 4:17:25 PM
I lol'd so hard I can't even

Man, what a unique build. Congratz, this is literally ridiculous, fun, and dangerous all at same time lmao. Should try it out just for the lulz
This must be one of the craziest, if not THE craziest PoE build ever conceived.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
How did you generate charges when you leveled as Self-cast discharge?
IGN: PurTurtle
"
PurplePudding wrote:
How did you generate charges when you leveled as Self-cast discharge?

I used volls protector for power charges when i crit, along with blasphemy - assassins mark + warlords mark. I had enough crit chance to reliably have consistent crits and enduring cry when i ran out. Ungils harmony is a good amulet combined with the 2 axiom perpetum maces for some crit chance early on.
Very fun build (:

May I ask you the reason for not choosing Scion? 1.5% life leech + 1% base crit or 50% increased flask charges gained seems like a good boost in maintaining charges against single targets.

How many skills crit on each doedre's flask use?
Last edited by myhades on Mar 15, 2016, 3:16:24 PM
"
myhades wrote:
Very fun build (:

May I ask you the reason for not choosing Scion? 1.5% life leech + 1% base crit or 50% increased flask charges gained seems like a good boost in maintaining charges against single targets.

How many skills crit on each doedre's flask use?

Templar for Inevitable Justice from the Inquisitor subclass. None of the links have any penetration. Completely ignoring a monster's resistance is one of the biggest damage boosts available if you cannot reduce a monster's resistance to negative values by other means.

Also OP you don't have -60 chaos res. You pick up the Purity of Flesh cluster which gives 20% chaos res - making it harder to fall within CwDT range from Doedre. I bet that if you dropped that cluster and pick up health somewhere else, you would be able to level up the level 1 Cwdt gems and their supported gems by a level.

This is an awesome idea, I am going to try it :)

I made some little changes to your skill tree tho :
Connecting through scion area feel strange to me, I would rather connect through witch-shadow, grabbing written in blood and doom cast cluster for more crit.

Also I see no reason to not grab Elementalist, Devotion and the jewel node on top of it, seems pretty efficient to me.

I also removed Vaal Pact, but I am not sure about this one, is it necessary?

Here's the passive tree with the changes (108pts)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUAAPndi4zAmgmq2fzAZgSzPAVFR6IAn9_vfDLR8B-aO-vuaPKCm3yDpwgc3K9s7DgRLY9G2t2PGgthOtiFeyycHRTGricvZlQFQvrSjmQ8LZBVQZYWb_emg1-DzBo4rrPQ9SSq42q2-rc-TLM26f4KBAfQH5eV8kXYvYPb7-tSUzrhNZJVxj1fl_SmV_6POlhtGU3jIvRsC5Mnvop_xqEvytMRlrQMBx4OSEZxlS5d8oMJ8NUqC2-ej_pJUXBS8bOcpOv1idNLV4cTZJ2MNsDjdwfyHVVLYeImlQ==

What do you think about it?

Edit: just realised "the harvest" price, not gonna try it finally, but I wish I could ^^'
Last edited by Siyoo2 on Mar 16, 2016, 12:01:51 AM
"
Siyoo2 wrote:
I also removed Vaal Pact, but I am not sure about this one, is it necessary?

Watch the gameplay video. Its pretty obvious Vaal Pact is 110% necessary.
IGN: PurTurtle
"
Exuroo wrote:

Also OP you don't have -60 chaos res. You pick up the Purity of Flesh cluster which gives 20% chaos res - making it harder to fall within CwDT range from Doedre. I bet that if you dropped that cluster and pick up health somewhere else, you would be able to level up the level 1 Cwdt gems and their supported gems by a level.

I am aware i picked up an extra 20% chaos res. This lets me reach 4-5k hp while still taking minimum damage from doedres flask. Dropping the chaos res and leveling up my CWDT gems gives minimal dps increase, in my opinion. Most damage comes from auras + discharge.
Last edited by xSCII on Mar 16, 2016, 3:01:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info