SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

I've been monitoring this thread.

I notice that the post above this one is typical of the overall lab debate. "Lab is challenging and difficult, that's why you hate it." "Lol no, it's just boring, that's why we hate it."

This reminds me a lot of discussions about trading. "Trade is skill-based, that's why some guys are rich." "Lol no, they just nolife it harder, there's no skill involved."

I feel in both cases the "lol no" group is oversimplifying. I'm not trying to say that trading is epic difficult, or that the Lab is either, but there is some measure of skill involved, even if it's not very much.

I think what makes both hated, though, is that the skills they do test are not on the standard skill repertoire of the core game. Players who are much better at the core game than they are at these "mini-games" take umbrage at the game effectively telling them they're not so great after all. And, on an entirely separate note, those who enjoy the core game may or may not enjoy the minigame, making it a tedious chore if they happen to be good at it anyway.

Which, in a roundabout way, means Sid is right here. But at the same time, he's also wrong, because being bad at the lab isn't the same thing as being bad at PoE, and being amazing at the lab isn't the same thing as being good at PoE.

But, um, being good at the lab is being good at the lab. So, um, git gud. And git gud at trade while you're at it.

Don't like it? Well, the better you are, the faster it's over.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 19, 2016, 11:43:46 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I've been monitoring this thread.

I notice that the post above this one is typical of the overall lab debate. "Lab is challenging and difficult, that's why you hate it." "Lol no, it's just boring, that's why we hate it."

This reminds me a lot of discussions about trading. "Trade is skill-based, that's why some guys are rich." "Lol no, they just nolife it harder, there's no skill involved."

I feel in both cases the "lol no" group is oversimplifying. I'm not trying to say that trading is epic difficult, or that the Lab is either, but there is some measure of skill involved, even if it's not very much.

I think what makes both hated, though, is that the skills they do test are not on the standard skill repertoire of the core game. Players who are much better at the core game than they are at these "mini-games" take umbrage at the game effectively telling them they're not so great after all. And, on an entirely separate note, those who enjoy the core game may or may not enjoy the minigame, making it a tedious chore if they happen to be good at it anyway.

Which, in a roundabout way, means Sid is right here. But at the same time, he's also wrong, because being bad at the lab isn't the same thing as being bad at PoE, and being amazing at the lab isn't the same thing as being good at PoE.

But, um, being good at the lab is being good at the lab. So, um, git gud. And git gud at trade while you're at it.

Don't like it? Well, the better you are, the faster it's over.

The difference between the comparison that you just made is that you can legitimately self found your way up to like tier 10 maps (which is fairly high) if you play a good amount. Hell, if you no life like Anuhart you can self found into red tier maps, it just takes forever. The game is totally playable without being gimped, it's just difference in time spent (which obviously to some people is very valuable).

When it comes to the Labyrinth, let's just be serious, you cannot even compare the two. You don't do the labyrinth, you have a hyper gimped character. The difference in terms of clear speed/survivability between an ascendancy class and a non-ascendancy class is astronomical.
@allbusiness: I disagree. I feel that if you don't Ascend you can still work your way up to Tier 10 maps (why couldn't you? the monsters aren't harder than 2.1). I also feel that if you don't trade, you have a hyper gimped character. If anything, you're making my comparison more apt; in both cases, it's technically optional, but you're missing out on a lot if you opt out.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 20, 2016, 1:21:53 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@allbusiness: I disagree. I feel that if you don't Ascend you can still work your way up to Tier 10 maps (why couldn't you? the monsters aren't harder than 2.1). I also feel that if you don't trade, you have a hyper gimped character. If anything, you're making my comparison more apt; in both cases, it's technically optional, but you're missing out on a lot if you opt out.

No; you're just trolling at this point.

Not trading just increases the amount of time you have to spend in the game in order to get the gear that you want. Trading is merely a shortcut, not a necessity. If you put in infinite amount of time you can get anything you want. I've self found the last league all the way up to red maps. The only thing I traded for was my Bow that I actually self found every single fucking Exalt. It's doable, you just have to play a shit ton. In in all reality, I didn't actually need that Bow as I still had like a 280 pdps bow that was 5 linked and had a double crit roll on it, which is still good enough to carry into red maps.

Not doing the Labryinth means you will NEVER be at the same power level as other players. It's even worse then not trading; the equivalent would be like the only thing you could use is single target spells/skills that have no AoE to complete the game. Totally doable, especially with mass TP spam, but why the fuck would you do that?

The two cannot be compared at all. One is clearly optional, the other is clearly not. If you put in infinite amount of time you can literally get any item with any affix/suffix/whatever. No matter how much time you put into the game, you cannot get the same power level as an Ascendant character without doing the lab.
Last edited by allbusiness on Mar 20, 2016, 3:03:21 AM
so do the lab and move on?

because now it is either a stupid-bordering stubbornes (also called 'principles' for a bit of masquerade) or lack of skill/bad build

so will you just complete the lab in 30 minutes (if you had no problem with "It's doable, you just have to play a shit ton" there should be no excuse)
I fucking destroy the lab. It's the easiest content for me and that's because i am a god in mario and mario kart as well. This is poe though, so i have a right to not like it. Checkmate
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Mar 20, 2016, 4:13:24 AM
If choice is Ascend OR Trade, I'm going Trade.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.
"
Jojas wrote:
"
Regulator wrote:
Qarl obviously as part of GGG staff putted it so diplomatically that it seems cheesy as hell. He even spents more time and effort and space to say that "many" people love it, while for the negative feedback he only writes a very very short sentence. Its obviously a marketing technique, but i would really like to see an honest breakdown of those who actually farm the lab cause its fun and rewarding, those who do it once and never again set a foot in there, and those who completely ignore it.

Lets wait and see what they have planned.

If that percentage breakdown means what I think it means, i.e. that on average 6% of players are to be found in the lab, then what other conclusion can be drawn than that it is immensely unpopular. Over the course of one week 94% of the players rather spend their time somewhere else, because they either don't like it or are not interested. And in the remaining 6% a good chunk might just be there to farm it, and not because they enjoy it.
GGG's attempt at putting a fun new twist on ARPG's/H&S is commendable, but if people really liked the content they would be there. Simple as that.

While 6% seems low at first glance, then you notice that maps are only 12%. Doesn't look so bad anymore, turns out there are just too many people farming dried lake.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
If choice is Ascend OR Trade, I'm going Trade.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

I agree but unfortunately, trading is optional but the labyrinth is not. :-(
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
The people arguing for the points to stay have no bases for argument because if the points were removed it doesn't have any effect on their enjoyment of the lab at all. Those points cease to exist after you get them and if you already like the lab they don't impact your desire to play it one way or the other.

However if you dislike the lab and would otherwise not run it if it were totally optional those points have an enormous impact.

It's an illogical argument the 'get good' crowd are making. If GGG moved the points everyone would win, no body would have their experience diminished for it.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on Mar 20, 2016, 11:30:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info