SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
TheDeathX wrote:
I like the prophecy league so far(hc)
I did norm,cruel and merci lab for the AC points. If I would die with that char, i won´t start a new character in this league... its just too much for me... 4 acts * 3 difficulties and then again those "chance to rip" feeling in the labs. Remove those AC points or make an alternative way to bypass that traps.
PoE has changed. From:

- hmm lets think of a new build and just start a new char....yeah! lets think of a name... mhhmm right go!

to:

- well that build would be cool... Do i have a ranger I can reskill? Damn, ripped the last one....... TOOO much work to start all over again... Well would have been a nice build but no thx.... what other games can I play?

+1
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.
I see many objections to the labyrinth which are not necessarily connected. It may therefore be useful to our thought process to classify them.

1. Objections to the trap gameplay per se. If you think traps of this nature don't belong in PoE because it is too harsh a departure from the existing gameplay, if you think traps of this nature don't belong in any game that is a D2 successor, if you think traps of this nature don't belong in any game subject to network hiccups, or if you think traps of this nature don't belong with a mouse+keyboard control scheme, your objection probably fits in this category.

2. Objections to the non-optional nature of the content. If you think AC points make this content a de facto mandatory part of the game, and you think it should be optional to the same extent other non-expansion additions to the game are optional, your objection probably fits in this category.

3. Objections to the reward structure. If you run the labyrinth despite hating it, believe that content should be intrinsically fun, and compare the additional rewards added to the lab by GGG to the higher salaries enjoyed by garbage collectors working in large cities, your objection probably fits in this category.

4. Objections to GGG's approach and implementation. If you think a divided, toxic community is an unhealthy community, and that the labyrinth as it is currently implemented is causing exactly that, your objection probably fits in this category.

5. Objection to the difficulty of the traps and/or labyrinth. If you think the traps and/or Izaro encounters are too difficult and should be nerfed, your objection probably fits in this category. (Very few posters fit into this category, but you'll understand why I included it in a moment.)

Feel free to quote and/or use my numbers as shorthand to clarify your objection.

Now, almost all of these issues need to be addressed, in my opinion, but keep in mind that others don't share my opinion and may only be concerned with one or two of the above.

Therefore, if you are going to defend the labyrinth by providing a rebuttal to a specific post, keep in mind that your rebuttal is valid only to the extent that it matches the category of the criticism. I see certain posters not doing this (you probably know who you are), which is a form of sophistry (intellectual dishonesty), if deliberate.

You may feel tempted to do it anyway, but don't bother. We can all tell that the reasoning is fallacious, even if not every one of us is able to point to the exact fallacy as I just did.

OK, carry on. :)
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Jun 22, 2016, 4:01:37 AM
@gibbousmoon nice post, I think you did a good job categorizing. It seems pretty complete as well. The trap category (1) is large enough that it could perhaps even be broken down into subcategories. Or maybe add mention having very high level characters dying to low level traps, visibility in the labyrinth doesn't allow planning a route through the traps, not allowing town portals in denial of real life needs (letting dog out, changing baby diaper, obeying other quick honey-do commands, etc.) and in game needs like trade.

I also like your number 4, in my opinion this is a bigger more caustic and damaging problem than I first first thought. I find this to be sort of a "secret/unspoken" concern since it has gotten so little attention and I find it slowly corroding my previously extremely good opinion of the general community atmosphere.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Jun 22, 2016, 2:43:20 AM
I'm not against reworking the Lab, so that players that want speed will need to invest skill, those who want safety will need to invest time. Or something similar.

But if I hear once more how Ascendancy points are "gated" and should be "free", I'm gona punch someone -_-

Merciless Lab done at level 58 (entered at 57), that is 10 levels below zone. 4.2k life with all self-found twink gear and a 5L. I even messed up the idols phase and Izaro was 100% buffed by idols.

SF common gear

Now you are gonna tell me how you "can't ascend at level 80"? And should be given free Asc points.

Get out! Out! Take their coats and throw them out!
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
I'm not against reworking the Lab, so that players that want speed will need to invest skill, those who want safety will need to invest time. Or something similar.

But if I hear once more how Ascendancy points are "gated" and should be "free", I'm gona punch someone -_-

Merciless Lab done at level 58 (entered at 57), that is 10 levels below zone. 4.2k life with all self-found twink gear and a 5L. I even messed up the idols phase and Izaro was 100% buffed by idols.

SF common gear

Now you are gonna tell me how you "can't ascend at level 80"? And should be given free Asc points.

Its funny because liftingnerdbro recently made a video with the new doomfletch with no ascendancy points and it clears T14 content with no issues at all.

Ascendancy points clearly required

top lols.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Dear morbo if you felt the need to brag about your latest run this is not the right place to do so. If you thought it is then you clearly have not read the opening post or you did but did not understand neither the reasoning nor the suggestions or the purpose of it. Take your time and read, not just look at the title and make your conclusions. Posting what you thing is relevant does not make it so. Thank you and gl with your labyrinth runs.

Dear tinfoil, seems like the latest burn inflicted to another thread messed up with other organs of yours too, im sorry for that. Im currently 89 level with no ascendancy class at PHC clearing t11 (no higher drops yet). Ofcourse you can still go and do high level content with no ascendancies, that doesnt make them optional though, anything character optimization/creation/flavour related IS NOT OPTIONAL in an ARPG. The inability to undestand simple thing like that is mind numbing. I will once more ask you to go back to your bridge.

Thank you gibbousmoon for that analysis and while my personal preferance to what needs changing is firm, i agree that if everything that you mentioned was addressed then we would have a perfect labyrinth experience for everyone.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Regulator wrote:
Dear morbo if you felt the need to brag about your latest run this is not the right place to do so.

The point is not to brag. I completely disagree with the notion that Asc points are "gated" or that should be "set free". Obtaining the first six points takes little effort and is 100% deterministic. There is no "gating" other than skill, a tad of knowledge of trap gauntlets and a balanced build that can defeat Izaro.

If people can't overlevel and take mere ~45 minutes to do all three Labs, then they don't deserve those points. The game is playable without Asc points anyway.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
=> Doesnt make them optional

=> People playing without Ascendancies all the time

=> Even high profile players playing without Ascending saying you can play just fine without them and that its extra power

=> Clearly gives you the option to either use it or not use it

=> Doesnt understand that there are people who quite literally wont use the free power creep and will play without Ascending

=> Says everyone is a troll because you yourself cant understand its completely within logic to say its optional

Latest insult that i clearly responded to and you ignored because i called you out ? Wow, yeah, much burn, soo hot.

At this point im pretty sure the one trolling here is you, i mean you keep mentioning trolls but you keep blowing off logic. Maybe the one who needed to return to their bridge is you ? :D

Isnt it funny how to of the most prominent complainers are in a guild together with practically no one else in it ? Guess what they say is true, misery loves company and people like to avoid others who act miserable.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Jun 22, 2016, 6:12:42 AM
"
morbo wrote:

SF common gear

I really don't get all the fuss about the word gated. I didn't play WoW but i understand it was something that originated there. What's the deal?

Also, just did all the uber lab trials first time in hardcore and got the relevant achievement. Again, it's not about the difficulty.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
"
Pyrokar wrote:
I really don't get all the fuss about the word gated. I didn't play WoW but i understand it was something that originated there. What's the deal?

I dunno, I never played WoW or any other MMORPG.

The Uber Lab is gated by luck, the first 6 points are not. Getting them is 100% deterministic and requires about 1 hour of gameplay in total. People who really hate the Lab, can just do all of the chore in one go when they overlevel. This way you save the most time.

I mean, playing endgame for 100 hours and not loot T14/15 maps, now that's gated... -_-

Anyway, I tried Uber at lvl 65 and almost got the fvker, just 1 pixel of health remained. Arrgh, I'm pissed!
Spoiler

Doing Uber with this build should be a cakewalk @75+. Pew pew crit bow ranged builds can clear whole screens of maps, melee left-bottom side of the tree can run Lab easier. I think its a fair deal (since total balance will never exist)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jun 22, 2016, 11:06:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info