SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
At this point I hope they remove the points from the lab but add hella traps to the rest of the game. Only half of that reason is to drink down the savory tears of that pyrrhic victory, the other is I think it would be neat to add the mechanic of leading monsters/bosses to traps to defeat them.

That would be great for the couple hundred of you remaining. you'd all need to donate way WAY more money to keep GGG paid. :)
"
Pyrokar wrote:
"
eragon1111 wrote:
Thread has went full off-topic i suggest mods to close it and forget about this disgrace...

I suggest mods do the same with the labyrinth, as it went full off-topic on the gameplay and then we might forget about that digrace...

hahahaha Great response mate:) +1 to you:)
(No personal problem with eragon, just liked the response/description about the lab:) :)

"
Regulator wrote:

Im genuinely interested in the following that people seem to intentionally avoid to address :

If the ascendancy points where decoupled from the labyrinth, what would that mean to you? How would that affect your own personal way of playing?

If the ascendancy points were (finally!!!) reamoved from the lab and traps, I'd never run it again in hc leagues... And, I could enjoy my chars:)

Sorry, but I prefer monsters over lab/traps any time of the day
"Too Wierd To Live... Too Rare To Die...."
Personal Motto

Finally made it to lvl 100... Only took me 3 years...:) :(
"
Regulator wrote:

Im genuinely interested in the following that people seem to intentionally avoid to address :
If the ascendancy points where decoupled from the labyrinth, what would that mean to you? How would that affect your own personal way of playing?

It would mean that I'll actually get some ascendancy points. Playing a bit of Prophecy right now, but I'm not going to set foot in a single trial, never mind the "lord's labyrinth". And while we're at it, why should I have to spend 7 coins to seal part II of a prophecy chain that can only be completed in the labyrinth?

I hope GGG understands how much they're alienating some of their players by trying to force them into the labyrinth.
Proud member of the Vocal Minority
I've decided that 1 and 6 were essentially the same and so combined them.

Please feel free to correct, clarify or comment further.

Why it is extra frustrating to die during trap game play.

1. Least of not is the fact that PoE is a hack and slash ARPG where the fun game play we all love is killing monsters not trap game play. We expect to die from monsters not traps in a hack and slash ARPG. Perhaps in this same point is we're more used to dying from monsters? If GGG thinks we should die more then GGG should beef up monsters not add trap stuff. "Traps do not lag. I do. Traps do not DC. I do. POE is a game about drunk driving and running over pedestrians. Not drunk driving and dodging trucks/buses." quote by rephikul

2. A character build for a hack and slash ARPG is frequently not compatible with a character build for trap game play. For example, more life improves the hack and slash game play whereas it makes some traps harder because damage is a percentage of life and life flasks are a fixed amount and so less effective. Another example, it goes against hack and slash ARPG game play for a relatively godly level 80 character to sometimes be so easily killed by a level 30 trap.

3. Lag will more likely kill when in traps. Death from lag can be especially frustrating.

4. When dying in the labyrinth, the whole boring tedious thing must be rerun.

5. Don't like trap game play anyway so already in a bad mood before dying. Some people that generally like trap game play in other games, don't like it in PoE because control via a mouse can be problematic for trap game play. The reason I love PoE is because of the great hack and slash game play. Labyrinth has replaced the best part of PoE with horrible boring tedious and not fun trap game play. So I'm already hating on labyrinth and so if I die it makes it all the more frustrating.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
I agree to 100% with the OP and many others here: Ascendancy traps are a completely different playstyle, but the ascendency points are just to important, so you basically can't skip them without losing the ascendary classes and all it's benefits. To make things worse, the ascendency points don't just effect the labyrinth (if they would, people who hate the labyrinth could ignore them), they effect everything. If you wanna do 80+ maps, ascendency points will help you ALOT! So skipping the labyrinth is basically out of question.
Last edited by AceNightfire on Jun 8, 2016, 4:12:01 AM
One simple change for non-hardcore league. When you beat Izaro ecounter 1st and second time you get a portal in courtyard that lets you and only you skip that part of the lab. Portals last until daily reset of the lab.

Game will remember your last ecounter status. Soo if you failed to get a clean ecounter you can re-run that part of lab.
My personal idea of how to fix this:

Give every player who joins the labyrinth the choice between 2 ways of defeating the labyrinth. Here is a grafic that shows what I mean

Labyrinth 1 - Arcade Playstyle: This is what the labyrinth is right now. Rooms filled with unavoidable traps and most of the time no monsters (or at least no strong ones) around. In this example, you need to get over the pit-traps, followed by moving sentry drones and so on and on. Why should someone choose this labyrnith? Because there should be treasure boxes all over the place, but behind traps ofc. Those treasure boxes drop ALOT of items, with similiar chances for currency and rare/unique items like when you kill a unique monster. People who are used to the arcade style can get some nice loot here. Also the boxes are needed to balance the drops a player can make in the Labyrinth 2 - Classic Playstyle.

Labyrinth 2 - Classic Playstyle: In this example, the player enters a room full of monsters and some scattered traps. The difference between this layout and the arcade playstyle layout is, that you can completely avoid all traps. You don't have to pass them at all to get to the next room. BUT they are there! They should make it harder for you to fight mobs but the rooms should still provide enough space to move around them (like in the example). In the classic playstyle labyrinth, the player will face many rare/unique monsters and have to fight many at the same time quite often. To balance this, there will be no treasure boxes at all (since rare/unique monsters have good drop chances already). The combination of scattered (but avoidable) traps and many strong mobs make the labyrinth quite hard. Maybe even as hard as the arcade labyrinth, BUT it is much closer to the normal poe experience we learned to love.

I think this would be fair to those who love the current labyrinth and those who don't. I'm not an arcade player and I didn't start with PoE to be forced to play arcade in the end. So I hope GGG considers any of the suggestions made during the course of this thread and gives us a way to get the ascendency points without having to do those ridicoulus trap rooms.
Last edited by AceNightfire on Jun 8, 2016, 7:31:59 AM
That is really helpful AceNightfire, ill put that in the OP under the Labyrinth Rework Ideas tab. Hopefully more people will follow your example and actually contribute to this thread in a similar way.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Regulator wrote:
That is really helpful AceNightfire, ill put that in the OP under the Labyrinth Rework Ideas tab. Hopefully more people will follow your example and actually contribute to this thread in a similar way.

I agree that this is a unique and good solution that enriches the ascension alternatives.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Yes, AceNightfire is right on with the classic play style room. The arcade linear corridor rooms and gauntlet style design is not as fun to play. That is why I (and many) think Act 4 is a failure in that most of the zones are too linear and of the arcade play style which is not as fun. The Belly of The Beast is absolute crap compared to any other zone (even ledge is better and its basically a linear "arcade" style type map).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info