The Trials. feedback.

Today everyone is focused on the Labyrinth. Some find it interesting, some boring, some find easy, some way too hard. But i want to talk about the Trials.
Now i now that the trials serve the purpose of a tutorial to the Labyrinth and also provide a reason to visit zones which weren't visited at all prior Ascendancy. That's all cool and i think that the Trails do that very well. They are short and easy and teach you about the various traps in the Labyrinth. Ok but why, ho WHY do we need to complete them in EVERY SINGLE DIFFICULTY!? Completing them once is enough for them to do what they were created to do - to give you a basic tutorial. And on top of that we have to do that for every character? That's a bit too much. Doing a tutorial 3 times without any reason nor reward for each character is silly. I'd say that doing the trials once in normal ( even with every character.. because you know ... a player might be gone for a awhile and he might need to refresh his trap knowledge ) is enough.
What do you think?
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2016, 11:57:31 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Reason to do it: So that you can ascend.

Is this stupid? Maybe. But then again, why do we have to kill Dominus on every difficulty level? Or do the Dweller in the Deep quest? Or get Tolman's bracelet?

Honestly, I think it is perfectly fine.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
it should have been made 'account wide' - just like unlocking the Scion

it is EXTREMELY boring on the second time. ive done it 10 times already and hate - and i mean that - this idea to the core
I've thought about this a bit. Agree that you don't need to do the tutorial three times.

But they're more than that. They're there to ensure you can't just rush into the Labyrinth the moment you hit Sarn. They're thorough enough to teach you on normal, but quick enough that you can knock them out in no time after that. Yeah, you have to visit some side areas but think of it like pulling six levers scattered around Wraeclast to get the door to open.

So while you have a point regarding repeating the tutorial, it's important to note that the trials serve more purpose than just that.

Besides I've seen people die to the trials in Cruel and merciless. Guess they didn't learn on normal after all...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 5, 2016, 10:55:11 AM
@Char1983
Well if you look at it from a "lore" perspective it does make sense, though from a gameplay point of view it makes little sense in my honest opinion.

@HeWhoAnswersTheCall
Interesting point, i must concede that i'm doing them again and again because i'm doing them with already leveled characters. With a fresh character doing them alongside the rest of the content while progressing through the game it might not be such a choir.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Mar 5, 2016, 10:59:03 AM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
@Char1983
Well if you look at it from a "lore" perspective it does make sense, though from a gameplay point of view it makes little sense in my honest opinion.

Neither does finding Tolman in every difficulty make a lot of sense from a gameplay point of view.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
sidtherat wrote:

it is EXTREMELY boring on the second time. ive done it 10 times already and hate - and i mean that - this idea to the core

So what you're saying is I should use my executive powers to order Chris to make the trials much harder. Okay! Can do. Cheers for the feedback.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I'm just gonna have to shelve all but one of my standard chars for now :/ I reaaaally don't wanna run trials and rinths multiple times to get all the ascensions.

For GGG's "we want people to reroll" policy, rinth is absolutely detrimental from my perspective. Sure, nolifers probably won't care, but my god. Four acts. Three difficulties. And now an extra 15 trials and 3 rinths PER CHARACTER, not to even mention maps? Ehhhh.....
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
"
"
sidtherat wrote:

So what you're saying is I should use my executive powers to order Chris to make the trials much harder. Okay! Can do. Cheers for the feedback.

i doubt he will, this is the first time the content is actually balanced at release - theyve learned from HORRIBLE blunders done during several past patches

and be honest - what purpose these 'trials' serve? they are there to teach players arcane of avoiding traps. they are boring on the second time because the traps are simple. it is to be expected from ARPG that rarely toy with inanimate enemies. if the traps were actually complex, interesting and difficult to master, then maybe. but they arent. and there are only so many ways of 'avoiding moving DoT in disguise' (or - practically - whirling trough it)

side note - the traps have pretty much fixed difficulty - no matter the difficulty level. they will kill a noob in mirrored gear as quickly in normal as in merciless

but people that can and do play this game properly are mostly punished for that - they look for these 'trials' longer than it takes to complete them. at least put them somewhere near waypoints..
"
KorgothBG wrote:
@Char1983

@HeWhoAnswersTheCall
Interesting point, i must concede that i'm doing them again and again because i'm doing them with already leveled characters. With a fresh character doing them alongside the rest of the content while progressing through the game it might not be such a choir.

Yeeeeeah I think it's a given almost anything GGG add now that's meant to be accessible at a lower level will be a chore on overleveled ones. But you're getting serious power out of it. It's just another form of grinding, except you don't have to do it ten hours a day for a week. I don't quite get how people who can mindlessly do maps for hours on end for virtually no gain can complain about running six little mazes that should take half an hour, max, and then a bigger maze, one hour or so... To get basically super powered abilities and a shot at a bunch of treasure filled chests.

Where's the logic?

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 5, 2016, 11:08:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info