Ancestral Protector

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I hate this gem, it is an abomination and imo should not exist in this state.

More attack speed bonus to the player? Why? So now I have to use this on basically every single melee build I make, I have to find yet another gem slot and skillbar slot to use this thing because it gives a ridiculous buff to MY stats...

Most Earthquake builds wont benefit from More attack speed. And they're the MOST popular melee builds ATM.

IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I fail to see how this is the supposed to really help melee. I have tried this skill in a ton of different ways.

Either throw in damage supports and it dies way too fast.
Throw in defensive supports and it doesn't really do much except take few extra hits and give you some att spd.

As a totem it just feels odd. Even as a totem skill, you probably have much better options available.

This certainly made leveling faster for sure. Going into merciless and mapping it was bad.
Either it dies way too fast. Or the majority of the time the enemies or moving around to fast for the totem to reach it. All the time you spent resummoning it could have just been spent attacking yourself or repositioning.

This should have been a buff to your character like the Karui Spirit Haku missions. He goes alongside you giving you the buff and attacking nearby targets.

He could either just melee attack nearby enemies or use skills related to the weapon you are using.
You could then link Ancestral Protector with a melee skill that works with your weapon. He then occasionally uses that skill. With less damage and a cooldown of course. Having to resummon a totem every few seconds because he died or is not in position to hit enemies isn't very fun.

I thought this was designed to help out melee. I primarily only play melee and this doesn't work out. I heard they are making more and if they are totems as well... ughhh

"
e1337donkey wrote:

This certainly made leveling faster for sure. Going into merciless and mapping it was bad.
Either it dies way too fast. Or the majority of the time the enemies or moving around to fast for the totem to reach it. All the time you spent resummoning it could have just been spent attacking yourself or repositioning.

Not just attacking yourself or repositioning.

There are simply better totems out there.

Just think about a shockwave totem, it will straight up be 100 times more usefull and do WAY more dmg.

Or a spell totem with strom call.

Its all better then this Ansectral totem, even for non casters, its better to take some other totem.
I think this gem is reasonably fine as a buff for bosses and single targets. I definitely don't even bother with using the gem in general clearing though, unless I encounter some super tanky mob or don't want to be in melee range of a volatile thing.

Dies really quick in combat of course but I typically place it behind me so it usually only ever expires after having served for its whole duration unless the fight is very mobile. Against single target it's pretty much half power vaal haste for attacks only and more reliable, since no souls. Pretty good for a 1 socket investment.

No comment on regarding this gem as a primary skill.
This thing dies WAY too fast. I used this on Death and Taxes and it dies from boss in like 2 seconds.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Apr 27, 2016, 2:53:47 PM
has anyone actually tried to make a build based on this though? Full passives/etc dedicated to it. Multi strike doesn't work but i'm sure there are other options? A lot of ppl trashing it but who has actually made an effort?
Someone mentioned it in Ascendancy Beta, It was bad though. The fact that you had to stay near them to keep them attacking and their limited sight in acquiring new targets also hampered them. Supported with Fortify and all the Totem Life Nodes he said it was very tanky.

Besides once Prophecy League comes though we'll probably be using Chieftain over this with its inherent AoE and Damage Bonus which frees up a Gem Socket.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
I will be trying to make a build revolving around this skill for my first build in Prophecy. Going for maces using sunder, ice crash, or earthquake. Getting all of the totem nodes and some good mace nodes. Armour and HP for survival and vaal cyclone to pull enemies to the totem and me. Using the Heirophant as templar for 2 totems so that i can use Ancestral protector and guardian (hoping i can use both for dmg and attack speed) I would make a marauder Chieftan for hardcore (and try to utilize avatar of fire), and templar heirophant for softcore. Going to be a pain upgrading my weapon and finding all the gem slots for both totems / my offence / defensive skills.
Copy & paste into the skill tree planner:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAE8Em-xYbWhaiuRkMwRRr2w6FmvZaPILYYaCNI7wH8auhjuiAMT2rj48LRDMDF8Es3KpZ5uDX4PMK7b-hxynwGb3MlWp5FG3PoxGeyBTpUVH6hiSfZe0UEf-CviTMtH461Hmdqw9PtwjagHvDvJF2L3r7rvtFHF3U7Qvz37lz5hvFCA64TWSfIOa4KcIkc7ZfA48OzshNK2NXz-mV_6PtfKnlEWdna7YJIIHLKc6Up7FQT9N426qcmxeXVNSGmw2xUrEeGm8n2SESshsRtH9NumD8_auGJH8SwagMgkkqk6uRKH5vRZvsTauEuNqKyYDmg==
Last edited by tokinsmoke on Jun 3, 2016, 10:36:26 AM
anyone found a single reason why use this skill? the Warchief is better in EVERY way imaginable..
"
sidtherat wrote:
anyone found a single reason why use this skill? the Warchief is better in EVERY way imaginable..

Using it to buff Warchief even more if you go AB or Hierophant's Ritual of Awakening (for more warchiefs out and a single protector).
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 20, 2016, 1:31:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info