Is PoE more CPU or GPU intensive?

Just upgraded my video card and intend on coming back for the 4th. Just curious if my new vid card (upgraded to a R9 390 from a HD 7770) is going to make a significant impact or just a minor one.
Last bumped on Dec 17, 2018, 6:39:32 AM
"
azurarutlan wrote:
Just upgraded my video card and intend on coming back for the 4th. Just curious if my new vid card (upgraded to a R9 390 from a HD 7770) is going to make a significant impact or just a minor one.

No one seems to know which but I can with certainty that no matter how strong your rig:

It will do absolutely nothing on ground effects or if you have a skill like kentic blast + hoi on a fracture map.

For 90% of remaining builds, you will have consistent 60 fps.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
In general, switching to an Nvidia card with nearly the same specs will result in better performance. Path of Exile and Radeon don't get along too well.

That being said, assuming there's no CPU bottleneck, you should still notice some FPS improvements with that upgrade.
Last edited by Shaeltal on Mar 2, 2016, 5:09:40 AM
I run a FX8150, so cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck.
PoE is a strange mix of CPU and GPU bound. It doesn't directly utilize either very efficiently and seems to choke on some midway point. Driver overhead causes great issue in PoE, so AMD is at a bit of a disadvantage because Nvidia drivers are lighter and lower profile. AMD needs to give their software lower level hardware access before PoE can be equal on both (Or PoE needs more engineering time on it's graphics engine, but that's less likely to happen).
"
azurarutlan wrote:

I'd say almost zero impact as we're looking at an ancient D3D9 engine without DirectCompute or proper multithreading for cpus.

"
azurarutlan wrote:
I run a FX8150, so cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck.

It is: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Even a 50 bucks intel dual core would be a huge upgrade.
Perception is reality.
In terms of active usage it's more CPU intensive.

In terms of harming your hardware it's the GPU. The game is written in a way your GPU Load is always at 100%.

If GGG cared at last one bit about the users hardware they would remove all load intensive effects or make them optional.

But guess what. Their response was blah soon, we could but would destroy atmosphere, hardware gets broken over time anyway blah.

Overall players already feel side effects of a raped GPU when playing Party or fighting skill spamming bosses.

There are also several threads of players getting their overcloaked 750 750TI or AMD card broken.

My Laptop GPU also got killed by Path of Exile.

wont help shit m8. ii have r9 390 and drop to 15 fps or so sometimes for no reason what so ever
"
Hilbert wrote:
In terms of active usage it's more CPU intensive.

In terms of harming your hardware it's the GPU. The game is written in a way your GPU Load is always at 100%.

If GGG cared at last one bit about the users hardware they would remove all load intensive effects or make them optional.

But guess what. Their response was blah soon, we could but would destroy atmosphere, hardware gets broken over time anyway blah.

Overall players already feel side effects of a raped GPU when playing Party or fighting skill spamming bosses.

There are also several threads of players getting their overcloaked 750 750TI or AMD card broken.

My Laptop GPU also got killed by Path of Exile.

Non-sense.

It's the manufacturer's fault. ( msi, lenovo, asus, alienware/dell, whatevaa)
A Gpu with stock air cooling cannot fry because of poe. It will start to throttle or it will crash. Some benchmarks could destroy a gpu by overheating some units of the graphic card but not POE.

If the gpu is throttling or over heating, it's the fault of the manufacturer. They didnt use an efficient way to reduce the heat generated by a NORMAL 3d application. AKA they sold shitty case/notebook with powerfull hardware without headspreader.

A lot of ppls have burnt cards on WoW, CoD and others games and it happens on poe too, but thoses cards were defective!

Also, in poe you can limit your fps with vertical sync, reducing the stress on the gpu and it's heat.

My 980 Ti is at 25% load in act1 at 60 fps with V-sync. i can reach 350-500 fps but it's useless. 68 degree with OC 1460 mhz/4001 mhz at 1.1212 volt.
^ with v-sync or fps limit, the drivers will "underclock" the card at 1189/4001, because it doesnt need more power, reducing the heat and the speed of the fans, it's a normal behaviour.

Anyway, PoE is NOT cpu limited, with an I7 4790K oc 4,6 ghz for all 4 cores, my fps drop to 15 too when someone spam CoC discharge in a fracture map. Burning ground + any kind of grass/flower on the floor makes the game very choppy and spikey. The cores arent stressed, arent maxed out in thoses situations.

PoE is limited by it's engine.

The only thing very helpfull for poe to reduce the stutter/loading time/ to play smoothly... It's a SSD.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Mar 2, 2016, 8:27:13 AM
Atm it's best to run high clock speed processor - not many threads are need - 4 core should be more than enough. The clock speed matters.

It's also best to run NVidia as GGG said they had some issues with AMD, contacted AMD, but no reply from AMD. So AMD optimization is worse.

Nevertheless on my NVidia GTX970 4GB RAM and AMD Athlon 4 core on 4 GHz it runs quite well - well at least in single player mode which I do mostly.
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info