[2.1/hc/sc/uber]Righteous Surge, Hypertank/150k dps/95% Fire Res?!/ 7k+ life w/o kaoms/ dual curse.

Hey guys! I've never thought to share my build before, excuse errors.
This is the 2nd build I've theorized and tested on my own, the tree is very simple and the gameplay flows very easily.

Pro and cons

Spoiler
+Fast clear speed
+Melts bosses and tanky targets
+very cheap, can be 95% selffound

-atleast 1 mandatory unique, but very cheap
-colouring items can be expencive, but not too bad
-Facetank everything, you have to be in close combat

Play Style and idea

Spoiler
There's two different aspects to the build, the trash clearing and the rares/boss bursting.

We use a curse on hit shock nova setup to aid our Righteous Fire and packs just melt no problem. Then bosses are burst down using a high mana cost flame surge. more later.

The build is stacked on layers of defence and offence. Our tree naturally provides us with very high life regen and maximum life. this allows us to sustain righteous fire, and heal over it, the large life pool increases our survivability and boosts how much damage righteous fire deals. Applied with an amount of armour/physical reduction, makes the build pretty much unkillable.

The offence applies a lot of 'more' multipliers in the way of skill mechanics and gems.

Our burst ability Flamesurge;

Though already an effective attack, '50% more damage to burning enemies'. Righteous Fire burns them, thats our first 50% multiplier.

Conc effect provides our second multiplier, of around 60%.
Controlled Destruction - our 3rd, ~45%
And finally shocked ground provides shock (who would have thought?) adding another 50% multiplier.

Pack clearing consists of running around using our curse on hit shock nova to apply warlords mark and flammability, righteous fire does the rest. This keeps our Endurance charges maxed out for a very long immortal call and powerful molten shell. Flammability of course reduces the fire resist.

The high mana cost of flame surge when bursting bosses can be an issue. I solve this by switich to stage two!
One shock nova to apply flammability.
Vaal Clarity+Inc duration gives me over 16 seconds of zero mana cost, allowing me to lay into bosses mercilessly.
Since I'm not shocknova spamming. To apply shocked ground I use a Vaal lightning trap, which by the time I reach the boss has 3 stacks, each lasting around 6 seconds.

Gem Links

Spoiler
Boss bursting

Curse on hit

Righteous Fire

Cast when damage taken

Auras and Utility

Gear and Items

Spoiler
The only mandatory unique is of course The Rise of the Phoenix unique shield. This boosts our maximum fire resist, one of the layers that helps sustain righteous fire.

For a weapon, the best in slot is a

This is a huge DPS boost, and a very cheap item, there is no reason not to use it, but it is not required, just hugely suggested. If you go for this (you should.) getting high strength rolls on your gear is important. It will boost your dps significantly as well as provide you with even more Life to scale.

I am currently messing about theory crafting with a Consuming Dark to convert to chaos, and give us an extra +1% fire resist in the way of an empower+PoF with the +1 to fire gems Consuming Dark offers.

We are able to dual curse with the use of a

To be able to use this, obviously you have to sustain your overcapped resists with just one ring. Allowing you to use this. Another option is a +1 curse amulet. But that is usually a very expensive piece of gear, this ring is very cheap.

In talisman, youre of course able to get your hands on some pretty amazing implicit. I dropped my first talisman '50% lightning damage taken as fire' for my current one that gave me more life and more DPS. But lightning damage as fire is pretty big for our build, with 95% fire res most of the time, thats reducing the lightning damage you take *significantly*. Cold to fire is also an option but lightning damage tends to be what wrecks me the most. If you can find that unique t4 and get 100% lightning damage taken as fire. GG for you, why are you even reading this guide, youre rich.

The rest is very open to the best Rare gear you can find.
Cap your resistances, so 75% plus the 60% merciless penalty = 135% each.
Fire Resistance needs to be a lot higher. You want to be able to run Elemental weakness, so overcapping Fire resist to atleast 185%. (85% active + 60% penalty + 40% potential EleWeak)

As much life as you are able.
Armour.
Strength rolls- 50strength on most pieces is the best.
Movement Speed on your boots.

My current gear:
Spoiler

Obviously my gear is pretty trash. I use the cheapest 6link on the market at the time that had some life. The rest was bought for 1-10c a piece or selffound.

Flasks

Spoiler
Flasks are pretty important to the build, covering a lot of the gaps Righteous fire gives us.
Instant flask of bleed removal + Instant flask of freeze removal, are the two main healing flasks I spam.

With a Ruby flask of Warding *constantly* active, we are curse-immune. As well as bumping our fire resist to 95%!! this has the added effect of healing us a significant amount over our righteous fire burn, as well as the fact this heal lasts the full duration of the flask, and does not end when you reach full health.

A granite flask of ironskin with a 90%+ roll bumps our physical damage reduction hugely.

And finally I use a Quicksilver, nothing special. This would be subb'd out for a taste of hate if i had the currency.

The Skill Tree

Spoiler
Playable with both Marauder and Templar. The Marauder is 1 point more efficient. Templar has an OP voice actor and faster leveling at the very start. It really doesn't matter which.

As a Templar, you want to pick up all the early damage nodes to power you through the start of the game.
20 point tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUA-d2LjMCaCarZ_MBmPAXvfJ_fmjuCm-081abkIhpsna4DdZErWHdfBA==

Now its just a case of stacking Life regen, so when we hit level 65 and are able to use RotP shield, we can sustain Righteous fire straight away.
50 point tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUA-d2LjMCaCarZ_MBmPAXvfJ_fmjuCm-081abkIhpsna4DdZErWHdfBOw4OtgnL5BVGjg26SSqFm_jagSzogDwH2jyfA6nVVugr2wLYcauDF8cp1OlPC2DzLc-_grYvUGH-ejE9sQV

Pick up Jewel slots as and when you find good jewels to slot in. 7% life rolls, as well as spell damage, fire damage, and damage over time. All good stuffs.

Respec the first branch of templar for the Mana and Life regen, dropping the damage.

And branch down to Art of the Gladiator/duelist tree.

Finally, personally i spec'd into endurance charges when i picked up my Merciless bandit reward.

Final tree
Level 90 / 113 points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUATwRDyFugp1V8Dmjy8B-vbKIAC2EEs8auwGY8LQxfxPY8BYNfg8wcpyftr6ef3-98tz5TpQYOGS4czpo7QYf-CtR82WErUO08gpv56PJF2L0J9lcNrY0NzdWm7DhodDrhNZLxrJZs85vPfv5U5CI62Npiplf-jykukc5oZRpsJy8BkRhWTeN8uLvtna426ZBVLdIaPgN1JKoaOF8_kSsWb8EEFCD2SFh342p5aO8OxFhfBKluUEc9_HfjwBpYYwHcbztko4TZYSFHfoTvvTbawaLqZU107S5TEuG-pwUt02967w==

The final 10 points from 90-100 would be the 2point jewel slots (the first near Celestial Judgement, the other next to Golem's blood). You can branch over to quick recovery and pick up the +30 strength along the way.

Bandits

Spoiler
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Skill point
Merciless - Endurance Charge

Final Tips, colouring strength items

Spoiler
Colouring gear.
So this can be an annoyance, you dont want energy shield on your gear, as this messes the calculations for righteous fire, so getting int+str gear to help with your colouring isnt really an option.

Using an off-site Vorici chrom calculator will help you decide how best to colour your gear.

The only tip i can give generally speaking the the RRRR cwdt setup is easiest to apply on your 4link with the highest strength requirement. in my case, the helmet. I think youll find with your boots and gloves the best way to chrom them is with a 'always one blue socket' and will cost around 200chroms per piece.

I got wrecked by bad RNG and spent close to 1800 chromes trying to 4Blue my chestpiece.. but statistically, you won't be that bad!

As I say, this is my 2nd theorized build so there is maybe other things I have not thought of or overlooked, suggestions are always welcome. Question me ingame 'LviiTheIgniis' or on the thread. Thank you very much, have a great day!
Last edited by Lvii on Feb 21, 2016, 8:43:43 AM
Last bumped on May 2, 2016, 4:21:24 PM
UPDATED and EDITED

I have selffound this belt

which is pretty beastly for lifepool. more life = more RF burn AND more survivabilty of course.

I have also swapped out Hatred for Arctic armour. 2 reasons.
-the first being its defensive mechanics helps across some of the builds weaker points
-less mana reserve means we can use our Flame Surge boss-melter on a lot more rares during the map/packs without having to worry about mana.
The dps loss suffered is pretty insignificant to the ultility Arctic Armour provides.

My own changes but not noted. I personally swapped Flame Golem for Flame Dash. I didn't like not being able to jump over walls/barriers and flame golem was annoying to resummon so often. Again, a small dps loss but nothing worth noting.
Video plz, or stats screen.
Hello! Yes, I've had quite a few requests for a video. My current PC is pretty trashy, hence the lag-safe build. I will upload some content as soon as possible! :)
I've always liked the idea of a 6L flamesurge supporting RF.

Would you choose a Belly of the Beast if you had access to one over a 100 life/resi chest?

Also, what about windscreams instead of doedre's?
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
Last edited by lDantonl on Feb 22, 2016, 3:26:21 PM
Hi! Yes windscream's are certainly an option as well. I went for a solid pair of rare boots for a strength roll, more life, more movement speed and a bit more armour.

A belly of the beast verus a decent rolled life rare are pretty similar, I prefer the rare as im already scaling a lot of life, so i like to have the flat life to scale. As well as being open to an upgrade with a lot more resists and armour.

Both both are viable options, I just made this on a super cheap budget! :)
I've always liked the idea of Flame Surge, but

With Ascendancy around the corner, what do you expect will change with this build?

i'm currently looking at Inquisitor to be the best choice for an Ascendancy Class, taking Pious Path and Augury of Penitence. The tree gives 1% life regen/second, 30% increased elemental damage, 5% effective elemental damage reduction against enemies, another 10% more multiplier and, most importantly, Consecrated Ground. Assuming GGG doesn't nerf the ground effect, standing on Consecrated Ground boosts that life regen by 4%. On top of that, Pious Path adds damage, reduces mana cost and grants immunity to the likes of Chill and Shock while standing on Consecrated Ground. That node alone gives a great mix of offense and defense to this build.

I'm not sure how viable Guardian will be for this build. Time of Need is certainly useful, but the build only has 1 aura and one of the notables forces you to get Energy Shield.

Heirophant doesn't give much for this kind of build. Area damage is nice, but the build doesn't want Energy Shield.

Berserker is out of the question. Taking 10% increased damage is probably too much for an RF build to handle, and the build doesn't even attack in the first place. Not sure what "40% more Berserker Damage" means, but I don't think it's worth taking Berserker over another class.

Juggernaut is... interesting. Not sure where Fortify's going to come from, but it still gets +1 Endurance Charge and -5% elemental damage taken at max Endurance Charges (which I assume will apply to RF's self-burn). Probably not even close to being as good as Inquisitor though.

Chieftain. Getting both branches of Ngamahu gives 1% Fire Leech, 10% Fire Penetration, 35% increased damage vs burning targets, immunity to Ignite (not burn) and .5% life regen per Endurance Charge (3.5% total at max charges). Still nowhere near as good as Inquisitor, I think.

---

Outside of Ascendancy Classes, Elemental Focus gives yet another "more" multiplier to both Flame Surge and RF with no downside (neither one can inflict Ignite anyway).

So, what are your thoughts on Ascendancy for this build?
---

Also, while not exactly related to Ascendancy, what do you think of using a legacy The Blood Dance for boots? Iron Reflexes is only 4 points away, and an extra Frenzy Charge is close by as well. Damage, movement speed and life regen per Frenzy Charge are all stats this build likes, and reduced cast speed shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Last edited by Draklyss on Feb 25, 2016, 9:14:02 PM
I'm also interested in this build in the upcoming expansion. I would like an update. I see there's a small change in the light of divinity cluster. I suppose it won't make a noticeable difference. Inquisitor seems like a best option for me too.
Yes please update this for 2.2 sounds like a really fun build
sorry for the delay lads

ill post a full updated guide when possible

but some notes from what ive played so far

you can sustain RF without PoF now.. use the stone golem and the conscrated ground from inquis
frees up a lot of mana for an aura, maybe haste or determination? idk still messing about

right now im lvl75, the tree is pretty much identical. im running my flame surge in a doon with elemental focus and spell echo, with ironwill built in of course. getting about 35k effective dps.

rf, conc, inc aoe, inc burn
blasph warlords, selfcasting flam on tankier dudes

leapslam + fortify in there, but dont really use it, i have no synergy with attack speed, its just clunky

--

i would like to add, i highly suggest you dont play this as your first char.. its like a 2k chrom build for endgame, and its kind of a dick to gear with no currency
Last edited by Lvii on Mar 7, 2016, 12:27:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info