How will ignore elemental resist and ele penetration stack?

Say a monster has 75 lightning resist, Inquisitor passive takes it to zero. If I have penetrate lightning resistant, does it take it to the negative values?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last bumped on Mar 25, 2016, 12:13:56 PM
I would assume that "Ignore Enemy Elemental Resistances" straight up means the game doesn't even check enemy resistances (rather than setting them to zero), rendering elemental penetration a moot stat.

But that's just a players assumption of course. Hopefully you'll get a dev response :)
My supporter items: Victario's Charity and The Forsaken
ya, no idea but same presumption. Im thinking it wont work, at all, it will just bypass that whole layer of calculation. So res curses and pens are useless, you cant get them into - resists, but you can use a diff curse like assassins, use a different gem like controlled destruction and do mad deeps that way.
"
Now let's apply both:

75% Fire Resistance - 50% = 25% Fire Resistance.

25% Fire Resistance will now be ignored down to 0% regardless.

Enemy takes 100 damage.
Aaaaaand why do you think it is "penetrate then ignore", not "ignore, then penetrate"? Is it just your opinion or there's a source to this? (please don't speak about "common sense", it is ignored in too many places in this game)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
Because there's an item that already does a similar thing called Veil of the Night.
It follows those rules. Your Elemental Resistances are 0%. Regardless of Penetration and/or Resistance Reduction.

It isn't really the same, Veil of the night sets your resist value to 0, not saying your resistance is ignored. So, your resit is 0, but it's still used in calculation and the calculation is performed as usual, so penetration should work just fine. With penetration, your res will stay zero, but it gets treated as X points lower.

On the other hand, 'ignored' should do as it says, omit the resistance step in damage calculation entirely. It's all speculation at this point, of course, but it's fortunately not baseless.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Feb 16, 2016, 6:00:55 AM
"
EDIT: And honestly, I don't see why it would work that way. Do you have any idea how OP that would be compared to any other class?

What would be OP?

I said 'your res is zero' works with penetration but not res reduction and 'ignore res' doesn't work with either.

Penetration and veil of the night testing would have to be done in pvp, no idea if your source bothered to do it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Feb 16, 2016, 6:16:47 AM
Until we hear otherwise, I think it'd be best to assume it works like Veil of the Night does.
'Ignore' sounds very much like it just treats their resistances as zero regardless of what buffs or debuffs the enemy has.

And I doubt that a hit would be able to both ignore enemy resistances, then pierce the resistances that were being ignored.

It's an interesting question though and I'd love to find out one way or the other.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
Nephalim wrote:
Say a monster has 75 lightning resist, Inquisitor passive takes it to zero.
No, it doesn't. Changing a value is not ignoring that value. It doesn't set their resistances to anything, it ignores the concept of resistances for that hit - resistances, and anything based on them, can't do anything to that hit because they're ignored - the hit is processed exactly as if the game had no concept of "resistance".

"
Nephalim wrote:
If I have penetrate lightning resistant, does it take it to the negative values?
Penetrating a resistance is doing something to resistances, which is inherently not ignoring resistances.

Penetration on a hit that ignores resistances is as useful as increased spell damage on a character who chooses to ignore spells and only uses attacks. It can never come into play.

Have my babies Mark!

But seriously. Thanks for clearing up the details of inquisitor ignore resistance. It works just as advertised, as usual.

So nice to still have word of God posts on mechanics this many years into poe's growth.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Enemy Fire Resistance is now 25% regardless (Penetration affects maximum Resistance).
Incorrect. Penetration does nothing to maximum resistance, it just causes you to treat the enemy's current resistance as lower than it's actual value.

"
Because there's an item that already does a similar thing called Veil of the Night.
It follows those rules. Your Elemental Resistances are 0%. Regardless of Penetration and/or Resistance Reduction.
Veil of the Night sets your resistance value to 0, it does not make your resistances ignored - if it did it would say so. Since it only affects the value of your resistances, and nothing prevents penetration from treating that value (0) as lower (negative) penetration works fine against Veil of the Night.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info