[2.1/2.2] RT Dual Strike with Rigwald's Command and Savagery Tali HC [Added Ascendancy Thoughts]

Patch 2.2 seemingly brings little change to the passive tree and so the tree will stay the same for this build.

ASCENDANCY THOUGHTS

Giving a little review on what I feel could be suitable Ascendancy class choices:
Marauder

Juggernaut

Unbreakable, Unflinching and Unrelenting.

Berserker

Crave the Slaughter, Aspect of Carnage and Rite of Ruin or Pain Reaver

Duelist

Gladiator

Outmatch and Outlast, Painforged and Versatile Combatant

Champion

Unstoppable Hero, Fortitude and First to Strike, Last to Fall or Inspirational. Conqueror for more tankiness.

Hey guys, liamwpk here. I hit level 84 with this build in Talisman Hardcore before deciding I'd tested it enough and just being bored overall with the league.

I couldn't seem to find a build that utilised these weapons on the forums and a few days ago I began to theory craft around the weapons. The reason being they are both ~280 ish dps one handed weapons that synergise with each other. And I mainly wanted to use this thread to showcase what I've done and to just throw my views in for dual wielding skills anyway.

These are the weapons, Rigwald's Command and Rigwald's Savagery.

Skill choices
So obviously the main dual wielding skills could be 'Dual Strike', 'Cyclone' and 'Cleave'. And with the changes to Melee Splash I felt like Dual Strike might be the better option. In addition since the weapons have no modifiers to critical strike chance, Resolute Techniques just seemed better.

Next the choice is between Marauder or Duelist. I chose Marauder mainly because I prefer the starting nodes and it's much more tanky, particularly for Hardcore. But you can very easily play as a Duelist. Ascendancy brings a different choice between these two classes. I now see Duelist as the dominant build because of the Champion class.

Levelling

Just use a 2 hander for levelling, using the OP uniques. The one handed uniques are not nearly as strong as using a Geofri's Baptism. Also, aim to get Resolute Techniques as soon as possible. Having a dexterity amulet is very handy for levelling too.

Even using Flame Totem with Night's Hold is good for levelling.

Eventually swap to dual wield whenever you can get your hands on a 5L so that's around level 60+.

Gem links

Dual Strike // Melee Splash // Multistrike // Melee Physical Damage // Added Fire // Weapon Elemental or Fortify

Try and get quality Dual Strike (increased attack speed) and quality Melee Splash (increased area of effect) and they will massively help your clear.

Other things needed is Immortal Call setup, Whirling Blades, Auras. I use Riposte and Vengeance with Life Leech just for added safety.

Bandits + Passive tree

Oak-Kraityn-Oak

I chose Kraityn in Cruel because you need more attack speed to prevent yourself being locked in multistrike animation. Can go Kraityn in merciless for the frenzy charge.

So this is the issue I mainly had with the build, I feel the dual wield nodes are just not as good as the two handed ones. Also since one weapon is a sword and one is an axe, it possibly isn't efficient to spec into just axe nodes or just sword nodes. So there's kinda a dilemma where you're taking really weird nodes for damage. Also I took the block nodes south of duelist just for extra defences.

Jewels - Life, one hand melee damage, dual wield melee damage, attack speed etc. A 3 property should be 15c or so with a good 4 property will be 1 exalt or so.

Stats

old
DPS

3 frenzy charges

Taste

Defences Hideout

Add on 30% block and 15% spell block from Rumi's

new
DPS

3 frenzy

Taste

Defences Hideout

Add on 30% block and 15% spell block from Rumi's

Gear + Stat Priorities

This is the current gear and setup I had;

new

Lightning Coil is preferred over the Astral Plate however the 6L Coil would be a heavy investment to make. Aim to get Flask Duration effect on a belt so that your Taste of Hate and Rumi's last longer.

Other key gem choices are Vaal Grace for bosses - extra chance to dodge attacks and spells. Usual Immortal Call, Cast When Damage Taken setup. I did previously run a Flame Dash to be able to jump gaps.

Whirling blades is the obvious choice for movement skill.

I guess I should talk about stat priorities which is something I forgot about.

STAT PRIORITY

Weapons

These are the main weapons for the build. Divine the rolls if required for more DPS. In addition I believe the Axe is 100% required however a high rolled rare sword can be used in the off-hand.

Helmet

Life > Resists > Armour > Strength

Ideally you want max life rolls so 90+ with a high amount of resistance (however this is dependant on your other items too). An added bonus is having high armour. My helmet has the added bonus of a Chaos Resist roll which is always useful.

Additionally a strength roll could be preferable for more HP and damage.

Chest Armour

Life > Armour > Strength > Resists

I would very highly recommend farming for the Celestial Justicar cards as this provides a very good base for your crafting. The only problem is finding a supply of Crypt maps. I farmed solely Crypt maps from level 64 to level 81 and found 4 cards and bought the other 2.

Similarly you want a high life rolls and also a high armour roll. This is different from the other pieces of gear because you can take advantage on the high amount of potential armour you can get. I managed to get lucky in my opinion and crafted a reasonable chest armour through chaos spamming.

I would have preferred to also roll a high amount of strength (40+).

Gloves

Life > Resists > Attack Speed > Added Phys > Strength

As with other pieces of gear in HC leagues you need to maximise life and resist rolls. As an added bonus Attack Speed and Flat physical damage rolls can also be used on Gloves. Attack speed has the higher priority to speed up the dual strike animation.

Strength roll would be an added bonus however others will have priority.

Boots

Life > Resists > Strength > Movespeed

Here's where I believe it gets a little interesting and will change depending on future patches. As of right now I do not believe movespeed is important at all on boots. This is because whirling blades is way more efficient and you barely run at all.

I managed to also get chaos resistance here as an added bonus but strength is also desirable.

Jewellery

Life > Dexterity / Intelligence > Resists > Added phys (rings + amulet)
Life > Flask Duration > Strength > Resists (Belt)

Crucially for the jewellery slots is stat points. The build does lack an amount of dexterity and intelligence which may be required for levelling up gems. An added bonus is to pick up flat physical rolls to boost damage.

The belt I feel here is a very underrated piece of gear. One crucial part of the build is the flask duration to allow for Taste of Hate and Rumi's Concoction to last that extra little bit longer, which in turn helps survivability.

Flasks

Obviously a bleed flask is necessary.

My other choices are Taste of Hate - because you're playing melee in a hardcore and it's near 100% essential to have one. Definitely worth the investment for a build like this.

I also decided to run a Rumi's Concoction. This is because part of my tree contains block chance and with the flask I hit 64% chance to block.

Using a topaz flask mainly because I was running Torture Chamber, Mine and other lightning based bosses.

Finally I use an anti freeze pot. Quicksilver is not necessary needed as Whirling Blades is much more effective.

Map

Can do the majority of map mods. For example -max and no regen is possible, you've just gotta know your limits and play it safer. For reflect you can swap out Melee Phys or Weap Ele for Life Leech as a precaution. Don't run blood rage in no regen.

For Academy boss remember to take out Vengeance and Riposte.

Conclusion + The Future

Overall I think this is an okay build. It's good clear speed and reasonably safe, however I feel progressing towards t12+ maps you may be vulnerable because there's a chance of being one shot or just unable to leech fast enough due to just being a melee build. Something like cyclone doesn't really have this problem because they're not locked into position. I do think there's perhaps better potential in Ascendancy with the new classes which I'll explain a little.

'So this is the issue I mainly had with the build, I feel the dual wield nodes are just not as good as the two handed ones. Also since one weapon is a sword and one is an axe, it possibly isn't efficient to spec into just axe nodes or just sword nodes.'

UPDATE 13/01/16: So I decided to level some more and hit level 88 earlier today. Pretty much meant getting 2 more jewel sockets than before with the aim of level 89 being the final jewel socket. Aim just for attack speed and life on them.

Also bought a new helmet with chaos res to put myself at -5% chaos res. Not sure how important chaos res is this league but no harm in improving it.

Finally I divined my chest piece once and got much better rolls!

Map update: I also ran a few t11 maps (3 academy's) and they were pretty safe, the only real issue is the boss but it was okay as long as you're careful (make sure to take out vengeance and riposte). Haven't managed to get any red map drops so idk how safe/dangerous they are. So this build could still be decent for red mapping.

UPDATE 15/01/16: Hit level 90 and this is definitely the point I will stop. Still never managed to break into red maps. But ultimately didn't have any problems with the maps I ran.

UPDATE 23/02/16: GGG decided not to put Talisman in the base game so this build imo is dead unless you play the permanent leagues. I have no interest playing melee other than using these weapons so thx GGG.

Okay maybe I'll be revisiting dual strike using the new 1hand weapon. Stay tuned.

Last edited by liamwpk on Sep 9, 2016, 4:27:21 PM
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2016, 2:09:12 AM
is there some kind of graphic effect when you equip both of the weapons ? :p
could you please post a screen without ghostflame and infernal weapon effect ; i can't seem to find one yet on the internet
Timezone : GMT +1
IGN : Fleshflower (Softcore)
Feel free to message me in game or on the forum, i'm not playing very often.
"
BelgianGus wrote:
is there some kind of graphic effect when you equip both of the weapons ? :p
could you please post a screen without ghostflame and infernal weapon effect ; i can't seem to find one yet on the internet
There is no 3D art.

Here's a screen:

too bad :(
thx for your reply!
Timezone : GMT +1
IGN : Fleshflower (Softcore)
Feel free to message me in game or on the forum, i'm not playing very often.
Okay so I levelled up to 88, not sure how further I'll push since I'm now running out of maps.
Levelled to 90. I hear a lot of people say that the weapons are pretty average, but although they aren't the highest DPS in the game, they do complement each other well in my opinion so they are a decent late game option. But if there was a choice, you can drop the sword for a potential better one however I haven't tested what sort of DPS is required for it to be better.
Have u tried cleave?
"
Have u tried cleave?
I tried it a little, I didn't like it much, and I think Inc Aoe might be needed as a link. I believe Helman was doing a cleave build though

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Helman
Hi

I'm starting this build because i wanted a dual wield viable in HC, dont you have any video or whatever ?

Thanks
Oh

And why not take Unyielding?

Thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info